Author Topic: Fable II  (Read 18634 times)

Offline Tybo68

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Fable II
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2008, 11:38:20 PM »
My problem with the game is that I played the hell out of it when I got it and I haven't played it for about a month. The game is still amazing, I just need a long break from it.
A night has a thousand saxophones so get out there and rock and roll the bones.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2008, 12:08:41 AM »
My problem with the game is that I played the hell out of it when I got it and I haven't played it for about a month. The game is still amazing, I just need a long break from it.

100% truth.

My roommate and I were playing pretty equally and then I ended becoming very busy with school and reviews for this here site and I stopped playing it. It was at a good time too because the game was starting to drag on a little bit.
I don't regret putting it down because I know when winter break hits, I'll pick it back up and it'll be fresh.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2008, 05:13:49 PM »
This game is laughably bad. <snip>

I've spent a few hours with the game so far, and I really don't know what to think about it.  I agree about the NPCs – I don't like them.  I also find the combat to be completely repetitive and unimaginative.  (I haven't come close to dying yet, so I didn't know there was no penalty.)  And so far, the story seems really pointless.  I'm just buying clothes and hair dye for my character to make her look like different people instead of doing the quests.

On the other hand, I love the graphics.  I think the dog is a great addition.  But the dog isn't enough to make me want to play the game.  I spent last night watching stuff on the DVR and reading a magazine instead of playing this game (which is a Gamefly rental, by the way, so the faster I finish it, the faster I get a new [hopefully better] game).

Maybe I'm just a little worn out on open world RPGs or something, because I spent 65 hours with Fallout 3, and it's only been a week or so since I last played it.  But overall, the game's not drawing me in as much as I hoped it would.  I think I'll return it soon and maybe check it out again in a few months.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2008, 05:27:39 PM »
So it's basically The Sims with combat thrown in?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2009, 10:45:43 AM »
I started this yesterday and put about 5 hours into it - loving it.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2009, 07:40:28 AM »
2 days in, 8 hours of gameplay.  I haven't done something like this probably since Twilight Princess.  This game reminds me of Twilight Princess in a way, and I'm looking forward to replaying that one - but I'm committed to a Zelda franchise playthrough, and I'm only on Link's Awakening, so I have awhile before I can get back to Twilight Princess.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2009, 11:26:05 PM »
The landscapes do have some semblance to an adventure game like The Legend of Zelda, which is something that I really liked about this game.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2009, 02:40:18 PM »
Played this game last night, I appreciate that they have henchman mode.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2009, 12:01:49 PM »
Maybe I'm just a little worn out on open world RPGs or something, because I spent 65 hours with Fallout 3, and it's only been a week or so since I last played it.  But overall, the game's not drawing me in as much as I hoped it would.  I think I'll return it soon and maybe check it out again in a few months.

I spent a ridiculously long amount of time with Fallout 3 because Fallout 3 was believable, the voice acting was MUCH better and I found myself caring about the characters.

When I realized that the evil guy from Tenpenny Tower (can't remember his name) would kill Lucas Simms if I ratted him out to Lucas, I loaded the game and instead chose to blow his head off at point blank because I didn't want Lucas Simms to die.

I couldn't imagine that I'd EVER find a similar connection to any character in Fable II because of the reasons I mentioned earlier.

If a single player game has NPCs, those NPCs need to endear the player to them. Not only are the Fable II NPCs all carbon copies of each other, but they're ridiculously shallow and horribly, HORRIBLY irritating to boot. Again, a game can't ask me to save some fantasy world that I absolutely don't care about because it makes no effort to endear me to it.

Maybe I should go through the game and kill everyone and everything. Maybe that's the secret to enjoying it... (though I'm guessing I'll get bored of doing so in 15 minutes).

So it's basically The Sims with combat thrown in?

Subtract piles of features from the Sims, throw in mediocre, repetitive combat and add a cliché revenge storyline and realtime growing foliage and you've got Fable II.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:02:03 PM by Smash_Brother »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2009, 03:20:04 PM »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's Golden Axe with NPCs!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's Golden Axe with NPCs!

Likening the chicken kicking to kicking the elves who stole your magic potions after each level, yes.

Except everyone would need to speak in the most horrendously overdone cockney accents imaginable. Golden Axe wins for having a silent cast (and I mean the old ones, not the latest attempt at an entry in the franchise).

I could see some people liking the game, but it just seemed to do everything in its power to drive me off of playing it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:31:17 PM by Smash_Brother »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2009, 08:38:36 PM »
Highly Disappointing

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2009, 09:00:57 PM »
You seem to use that phrase a lot - care to back up why the game is disappointing with some actual discussion?

I really liked the game, and I think it sold pretty well, so other people must have as well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:18:14 PM by DrewMG »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »
Smash discussed it plenty.

It sold pretty well, so other people *might* have liked it.

Enter the Matrix sold pretty well too.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2009, 09:52:12 PM »
So, what, every HD game that sells well might as well be a crappy licensed game?   You seem awfully willing to dismiss every game on the HD systems when you use a tag like "Highly Disappointing"

Whatever happened to keeping an open mind?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 01:56:23 PM »
You seem awfully willing to dismiss every game on the HD systems when you use a tag like "Highly Disappointing"

Nailed it on your second try!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »
I really need to get back into Fable II I really enjoyed it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2009, 11:18:30 PM »
By contrast, InFamous is an excellent open world game with good/evil elements and doesn't make any of the design mistakes Fable II does.

For example, in Fable II, 3 of the 4 face buttons will frighten the townsfolk, thus costing you rep. In InFamous, you need to hold any button for a moment if it will cause an action which will shift your alignment, ensuring that you won't accidentally drain the life out of an innocent bystander.

I don't begrudge HD gaming one bit. There have been plenty of excellent PS360 games that I've played. Fable II just wasn't one of them.