Author Topic: Do you advocate a "medium and a half" mode for Guitar Hero/Rock Band?  (Read 10091 times)

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
Re: Do you advocate a "medium and a half" mode for Guitar Hero/Rock Band?
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 05:03:01 PM »
I think it would be better just to introduce the orange fret from earlier on or possibly the beginning. You learn bad playing habits when you don't use it, like getting used to never moving your hand.

This is true.  Perhaps easy and medium modes should just be a "speed and number of notes" type of thing rather than excluding buttons.  It takes a lot of work to re-train your brain once they introduce that fifth button.

Orange is my nemesis.  I've already re-trained my brain with brain age, now I gotta re-re-train it with Rock Band?!

Blue! Blew! BLOO!!! ARGH!
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »
As for Rock Band, I found Hard mode in guitar to be much easier than GH.

Good point.  Hard mode in Rock Band is pretty much the equivalent of "medium and a half" for Guitar Hero.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 12:15:48 AM »
Anything lower than expert is unplayable if you ask me, on any instrument (not singing). The most important thing, and I guarantee this will help just about everyone having a problem moving from medium to hard), is to move your whole hand to the red, yellow, blue, and orange buttons, and just slide your index finger to reach the green button. Also, "pinch" the strum bar for playing the faster parts so you can strum up and down. I guarantee you'll get the hang of 5 buttons in no time - the speed is your next challenge, but it's not that big of a deal until you move up to expert.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 08:25:29 AM »
the speed isnt a problem on a real guitar but the strum bar doesnt let me strum as fast as i normally can, and thats a big let down for me. I do the "pinching" technique but its still not the same
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 05:16:59 PM »
I've been trying on Hard on Rock Band these last few days, and I'm getting significantly better.  My main problem is alternate strumming.  For some reason I can't hit all the notes when they come at you rapidly.  It seems to me that I'm strumming up and down at the right times, but it isn't registering or something.  Is it just a feel you have to develop to know when the game will recognize a strum properly?

Oh, and **** Enter Sandman.  Seriously.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 05:18:21 PM »

Oh, and **** Metallica.  Seriously.

;)
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 06:13:29 PM »
This thread has inspired me to learn to play in Hard. My program involves playing on Hard with my fingers on red, yellow, blue and orange and only playing those colored notes to switch my brain over to associating my fingers with that position instead of the other one. The next step is playing on medium with my fingers in that position to get used to moving my fingers to green at an easier pace.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 06:38:56 PM »
I found that shifting my entire hand down one fret worked better than stretching, and I started on the easy-peasy songs on the first play list on solo tour.  Starting off slow like that really helped.  I just beat the Hard mode right now, so I guess it's time to try expert.  I should probably go back and try to five star all the songs first though.

Oh, and **** Metallica.  Seriously.

;)

GASP  :o  :(

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
Enter Sandman is actually pretty easy. Don't try to hammer on the "main part", it's actually easier to slide your finger, just like if you play the song on a real guitar. It's way down on the list for drums in Rock Band too (I can p0wn that song on drums, and And Justice For All, usually a 94% on expert...), and it's one of the easier songs in the game. I think you might be meaning to say "**** One" if you're talking about Guitar Hero though.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 01:11:56 AM »
Actually, I'm brick walled on GH3 Hard mode at "Raining Blood" right now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »
Yeah, wait till you get to Raining Blood on expert. Mosh 1 will kill you, then rape you.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »
I'm stuck on the 7th tier/chapter (whatever you want to call it) in GH3. The only song i was able to pass was Stricken by disturbed, which i actually dont even like (much easier to play songs you know and enjoy obviously) but i havent seriously played on career mode in awhile, since i jumped up to expert in quickplay. I should go back and finish and see where i really get stuck..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
I've been trying on Hard on Rock Band these last few days, and I'm getting significantly better.  My main problem is alternate strumming.  For some reason I can't hit all the notes when they come at you rapidly.  It seems to me that I'm strumming up and down at the right times, but it isn't registering or something.  Is it just a feel you have to develop to know when the game will recognize a strum properly?

I've found the GH guitar is much better suited for alternate strumming because the strum bar gives you tactile feedback when you strum.  It also makes the clicky-clacky noise, so you get the aural feedback as well.  The Rock Band guitar's strum bar just really sucks.  There's no sound and no tactile feedback, so it just feels like you're doing nothing with it.  I find it much easier to do fast strumming in GH, even on songs like Barracuda on Expert where the pattern's irregular.  (And since my GH and Rock Band are on 2 different systems, I can't use one for the other, unfortunately.)
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2008, 05:18:56 PM »
There's only one thing harder than Hard Mode in GH.

Hard Mode in Beyonce's Bootylicious Dance Mix! Strap a remote to your arm (and more remotes for the other arms/legs) and perform the choreography to Lose My Breath on a Dance Mat. If that doesn't kill you from exhaustion then i'm not sure.