Author Topic: Tenchu 4  (Read 26502 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Tenchu 4
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 02:12:32 AM »
ahahahha awesome game.

ninja tomfoolery is great.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 02:43:44 AM »
You wanna elaborate on that Pro?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 04:17:17 AM »
IGN gives a score of 8.0. I thought it was an informative review.

Ahh, too many games. Deadly Creatures, House of the Dead, Tenchu 4, Killzone 2, Resident Evil 5, MadWorld, ... (any others?)

What to buy what to buy. Good thing Conduit is in June.

Tenchu 4 and Deadly Creatures are what I am interested in for Feb that you listed. I am not actually too keen on Madworld yet. Though my mind could be changed if I try it first or it gets an amazing review. I don't go crazy for a game based solely on gratuitous violence.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Kenology

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »
This game is pretty damn good!  Will elaborate after I play a bit more (unless someone beats me to it).
Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 
BWii: 429 612 278 949
MOH:H2 EA Nation username: Kenology
Endless Ocean: 1667-3301-0310
SSBB: 2964-8266-3925 - profile name = Ken

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 09:15:28 PM »
I got the impression the game doesn't take itself too seriously, is that true?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 10:28:55 PM »
In short, true.  It's not super-serious-life-or-death stealth (tho a variety of HARD modes exist).  It's stealth puzzles that position you for fancy-cool ninja moments.

Videos later tonight.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2009, 03:09:08 AM »
I suppose it still involves a lot of sneaking around while hoping you don't accidentally move the analog stick a tiny bit too far and make a noise that alerts the guards? And timing your movement exactly so that you walk through a path when noone can see you while guessing the sight ranges of enemies?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2009, 03:38:00 AM »
No and no.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2009, 03:57:15 AM »
Things are done in real ultimate power dramatic ninja fashion.  Moments of near-detection can be escaped with QTE waggle dodging.  Noise isn't a big deal, and lighting/hiding is fairly obvious.  The game encourages swift, careful choicemaking for fluid progression; NOT about worrying over safe spatial limits and avoiding invisible instant-fail boundaries.

Guards dying can seem pretty noisy, but that's no big deal to the game.  It's about moving ahead to trigger the next stylish kill, unlike last-generation "stealth gameplay" tedium.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:05:56 AM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2009, 01:41:49 AM »
Things are done in real ultimate power dramatic ninja fashion.  Moments of near-detection can be escaped with QTE waggle dodging.  Noise isn't a big deal, and lighting/hiding is fairly obvious.  The game encourages swift, careful choicemaking for fluid progression; NOT about worrying over safe spatial limits and avoiding invisible instant-fail boundaries.

Guards dying can seem pretty noisy, but that's no big deal to the game.  It's about moving ahead to trigger the next stylish kill, unlike last-generation "stealth gameplay" tedium.

So it's like Metal Gear Solid w/ 'TOTALLY AWESOME NINJA MOVES!!!!!!' ?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2009, 02:07:57 AM »

So it's like Metal Gear Solid w/ 'TOTALLY AWESOME NINJA MOVIES!!!!!!' ?

Your post didn't make sense in that context, so i fixed it :)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2009, 06:25:07 PM »
It's far from Metal Gear Solid.  You can't rely on ranged combat to clean up the immediate room (to eliminate the necessity of sneaking).  Your time is spent stalking/killing your way to the goal.

Tenchu illustrates a distinct stalking surprise sex atmosphere by using the over-the-should camera (RE4) the majority of the time.  Metal Gear traditionally lacks this, becuz its roots are in the isometric/overhead perspectives from its NES days.

Each Tenchu mission is like an RE4 chapter, where you advance from a confined gameplay room/stage to the next.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2009, 02:40:27 PM »
Do these incoming videos match up to the previous Girls Gone Wild hotness?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »
Morgan at G4 kinda tore into the game. Do they have legitimate concerns over the sword fighting and the consequences of getting caught while sneaking around (both of which result in a flury of leaves and smoke and you reappear at the beginning of the stage)? Their review was definately more down than the IGN review, who didn't make mention of the leaves at all (that I can remember). Is G4 being sensationalist?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2009, 02:57:05 PM »
The "leaves" are just the death animation with some plausible deniability as to why you get to keep playing added, I guess instant "death" on detection is a lot less frustrating than the game simply turning unwinnable and sending hundreds of guards to kill you or something. Beginning of the stage sounds pretty harsh but then again it's G4 so I'd rather ask Pro if there's checkpoints (seems more logical to me to throw the player back to the beginning of the room).

Offline SirSniffy

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2009, 04:16:42 PM »
I just got this game...so eager to get home and play it! I am hearing some pretty scary things about it so far though. The demo I played wasn't bad though.

I'm gonna' post my impressions of it soon.
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »
On sword fighting:  These are QTE's that ask you to match a Wii Remote tilt angle with the giant on-screen icon to Defend (Attacking phase is easy, just go Lloyd Irving on their arse).  The problem I have is the icon timing can be less forgiving than RE4's KNIFE FIGHT; it feels like the icon tends to show up late--gotta react stupidly fast.  Now if I could play by reading the enemy's movements instead of thinking I'm supposed to wait for this surprising/distracting icon, I might have a better opinion.

If there's any warped logic to the difficulty of swordplay, it's this:  you're a STEALTH ASSASSIN (don't fight fairly), not a seasoned melee warrior, and you're typically not equipped for melee combat (your temporary straight-edged ninja sword doesn't stand up so well to the superior katana; it will break).  In general, you avoid swordplay because 1) It means you've been detected and 2) it's not worth the trouble.  Getting into sword fights with regular enemies means... you fucked up!  Fumbling with the controls and getting caught when you first play is forgivable, but the sword fights probably reinforce the idea that you're not supposed to get into them.  So don't waste your time with sword fights, don't get caught, and get back to making real progress in the game.

Overall I think the tilt-blocking mechanic is more fun (though demanding) than all of Red Steel.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2009, 06:14:29 PM »
The "leaves" are just the death animation with some plausible deniability as to why you get to keep playing added, I guess instant "death" on detection is a lot less frustrating than the game simply turning unwinnable and sending hundreds of guards to kill you or something.

This.

It's an in-game retreat-retry gimmick that takes advantage of the ninja stereotype.  I like this idea over the usual DEATH + GAMEOVER screen sequences, because there's no visible break from the game environment.  If detection meant CERTAIN DEATH, I'd expect a more serious tone in the storytelling (and better voice acting) and more technical and/or sensitive gameplay -- reasons/dangers/consequences prompting me to be a careful DAMN GOOD NINJA and not an sloppy G4 fail-ninja.

Like RE4, each major room/entrance is a checkpoint.  Unlike RE4, these rooms are much smaller in terms of walking distance.  Starting over at the room entrance is not a big deal since it typically takes 5-10 seconds to run to the spot where you got caught:  you've cleared all the enemies to get there already.  That short bit of running is nothing compared to the 5-15 minutes it takes stalking/waiting/observing/experimenting to complete the room the first time (longer with mistakes or getting stumped).

You can restart the mission or current room at any time, but restarting the room doesn't reset the clock.  Time, detections, and "hissastu" kills affect your overall mission score, which goes towards unlockable mini-missions and alternate game modes.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 06:21:50 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline SirSniffy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2009, 11:34:28 PM »
Okay, playing it now...I am enjoying it for the most part, but a few things are rubbing me the wrong way. SPOILERS!!!

-NO FREAKING GRAPPLING HOOK!!! Oh really Ubi Soft and Tenchu Team? Really? Wow! I can't believe they removed one of the signature Tenchu accessories! Imagine Link with no boomerangs, or Mario with no jump, or Sonic with no suck.

-You can't kill things with your own weapon, only snap necks and stuff.

-Ayame looks fat as hell...like Taki's alternate costume from Soul Calibur III

-Jumping is kind of weird. Sometimes you try to jump up and cling to the wall, but you mysteriously slide down. I shook the damn Wiimote the right way....nope...sliiiiide!

The graphics are surprisingly nice for a Wii game, and also the game is pretty fun despite no grappling/roof action. I also like the voices so far. I wish Rikimaru looked a little more butch, but whatever. The level design is great, and the atmosphere is really nice too. It feels like the first PS1 Tenchu game(minus the grappling hook). Some of the kill scenes are really funny and cinematic to watch. All in all, a nice purchase and a welcome addition to my meager Wii game collection.
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2009, 01:14:06 AM »
AHAHAHAHAHAHA I TAKE IT BACK, SWORDPLAY IS ACTUALLY BEARABLE (AND FUN)

A moment ago I found the option to disable the "Melee Guide," ridding the swordplay of the awful Remote indicator/icon (if you still want some visible hint, you can enable display of the enemy's intended slice path).  Now I just watch the enemy's body language and respond LOGICALLY, making it engaging, exhilirating, entertaining.

I'm blowing this out of proportion due to my change of heart.
I rate this game a "69" for being HOT SEX.

~~~~~

You CAN kill enemies with a sword.  Equip and do a lame judo chop when the enemy isn't looking.  BUT, it doesn't count as a special "hissatsu" kill (sword fight victories don't count either).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 02:49:10 AM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2009, 01:34:26 AM »
Damn... I never expected the game to be good. I gotta try thus out.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2009, 03:37:01 AM »
>> Tenchu 4: Shadow Assassins
FMV opening
Mission 1 - intro FMV
Mission 1 - Rikimaru gameplay 1
Mission 1 - Rikimaru gameplay 2
Mission 1 - Rikimaru gameplay 3
Mission 1 - Rikimaru gameplay 4

And yes, this is a nice looking game.  Acquire ain't no Capcom, but the results are noteworthy.  I believe this is the first original Wii game to follow RE4's footsteps in terms of architecture and level design, and it shows.  Lots of objects and/or floor ornaments laid about with appropriately irregular placement, keeps it from looking like familiar, manufactured, Unreal Engine FPS city streets or warehouses.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2009, 03:56:54 AM »
And if I could summarize my first night with this game in one word, it would be:

"boob"

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2009, 10:09:51 AM »
And if I could summarize my first night with this game in one word, it would be:

"boob"

Well now theres no way around it, i just HAVE to buy this game. Thanks pro!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2009, 01:34:48 PM »
Sounds nice, a beef I had with many stealth games I played was that they had VERY sparse checkpoints (that is to say they usually had NO mid-level checkpoints/saves whatsoever) which makes misjudging a detection range all the more frustrating.