Author Topic: Super Metroid  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Koopa Troopa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Super Metroid
« on: September 20, 2003, 10:18:53 PM »
Hey, just curious if there has been any word of Super Metroid being ported to the GBA?
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Super Metroid
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 04:02:53 AM »
No, nothing. Which is a shame because i would love to play Super Metroid and dont have a SNES. I would like it very much if Nintendo ported Super Metroid to the GBA.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 08:56:30 PM »
*pauses Super Metroid* nah we dont want Super Metroid on GBA ;p

actually it would make a great port, its an awsome game, they better not add alot to it, or else ill have to own it twice, and then i would feel screwed ;P

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 07:57:21 PM »
Too bad there is no news of it... I bet Nintendo will doing something special with it(the classic that it is), like with LttP and SMB3.

BTW, I apologize for not replying sooner. This is the first time I've been able to visit more than one page on PGC for a while.  

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 08:43:04 PM »
Being a huge Metroid fan I really want to see it ported to but honestly I would rather they wait to port it to the next Game Boy. The main reason is because the next GB will probably have 4 face buttons so they won't have to monkey with the controls. Also things like the resolution and sound chip should be better meaning they will be able to give an almost exact port of the game.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Super Metroid
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 03:42:16 AM »
The Magic 8-ball says

"Wait for next-gen: better controls, updated graphics, and basically new everything"

*Magic 8-balls are not meant to actually tell the truth and all predictions are speculation by the owner*
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 05:37:03 PM »
What was that all about?

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 11:35:59 AM »
Hmmm, yeah I didn't think about the controls... OK, I think they should port it to GameCube.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2003, 08:34:45 AM »
Well, we get Metroid Zero mission.

But my case is the same as Mario's.  Love to play, don't have SNES.  But Zero mission will be enough, I think.  I tried playing Metroid after I played Fusion, and it was just horrible.  Updated controls will be like a dream.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2003, 10:50:20 AM »
Yeah I'm really looking forward to Zero Mission. I beat Metroid 1 after Fusion. That game is tough.

But my case is the same as Mario's. Love to play, don't have SNES. But Zero mission will be enough, I think. I tried playing Metroid after I played Fusion, and it was just horrible. Updated controls will be like a dream.

So it has been confirmed that Zero Mission is a Metroid remake?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2003, 10:55:57 AM »

Zero Mission is NOT a remake...

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2003, 02:21:12 PM »
It's not?  Where have I been?

I figured it was since one of the screens looked EXACTLY like the begining ot Metroid and everyone was talking about it.  I guess it would make sense if it was before Metroid or something, I dunno.  Please excuse my stupidity.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2003, 08:12:32 PM »
Look nothing has been official confirmed about Zero Mission. Hell I don't think Nintendo even said anything what so ever beyond just showing that video at E3. However taking into consideration many of the areas shown in that video were straight out of the original Metroid only with new graphics I think there is a good chance it's a remake. Just about all the major gaming sites and magazines seem to agree that it could very well be a remake.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2003, 08:20:30 PM »
There was an interview a little while back(not sure with who) in which it was stated that Zero Mission wasn't a remake, but was taking a lot of direction from the first Metroid in terms of feel...I'll see if I can dig it up...

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2003, 08:26:04 PM »
If you are talking about the Yoshio Sakamoto interview he never once commented on whether or not Zero Mission was a remake. Here's the interview. He only said that he wanted to have the game play more like the original Metroids.

I'm more involved in the GBA version of the next Metroid game, Metroid Zero Mission - in the past game we put emphasis on the storyline, but in Zero Mission I want the game to go back to the basics.

More emphasis on the gameplay, exploration, riddle-solving by action, etc. I am asking each individual artist and designer now to come up with many ideas, and I'm going to use that to set certain goals for Metroid Zero Mission.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2003, 09:28:12 PM »
That sure as hell doesn't sound like a remake to me.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2003, 03:04:09 PM »
Well making a remake of the original Metroid would definitely be going back to the basics wouldn't it. I'm not saying that quote in anyway confirms whether or not it's a remake but I really don't see how it "sure as hell doesn't sound like a remake". Care to explain why you feel that way?

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2003, 03:56:47 PM »
First of all, earlier in the interview, he epxressed his wish to make new games, not ports. Second the very phrasing of those two paragraphs do not in anyway allude to the game being remake. Especially that which you paraphrased; "Going back to basics" in no way whatsoever evokes the thought of remaking something.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2003, 06:13:10 PM »

Many GBA games are simply ports from exisiting SNES titles - like the Mario Advance series and Zelda: A Link to the Past - but Metroid Fusion was a brand new game - why was the decision taken to come up with a totally original game?

Sakamoto: We always try to do something really unprecedented, something people have never played before. Many of our designers and creators want to challenge something new rather than simply porting over an old title. That's something I hope we'll always do. If you can challenge something new, you can look forward to the public response, be it good or bad.

Depending on the response from the public, we can explore some new paths for the new game, which is the only way for us to move ahead. I know that Metroid always has to grow - we've always been challenging with the Metroid games.

He said he doesn't like the idea of simply PORTING a game. Metroid Zero Mission would not be a port it would be a REMAKE with upgraded graphics and sound as well as many other big changes to the original game.

My biggest reason for thinking it's a remake besides the evidence from the pics and vids is that I don't see where this game can fit in the Metroid time line. It can't happen before the original Metroid because the Metroid manual makes it pretty clear that that was her first trip to Zebes and her first encounter with the Metroids. The space between Metroid and Metroid II is taken up by Metroid Prime and most likely Prime 2. I don't think there's any room between Metroid II and Super Metroid because of the way the story is laid out in Super Metroid about what happened after Metroid II. It can't happen between Super Metroid and Fusion because Zero Mission obviously takes place on Zebes and it was destroyed at the end of Super Metroid. It can't happen after Fusion because at the end of that game she still had the Fusion Suit and in all the pics and vids for Zero Mission it's clear she is wearing the original Power Suit. Oh and Zebes would still be destroyed at that point too. So where the hell would it go?

If it's not a remake I hope they don't pull something cheap like "the space pirates rebuilt Zebes" and "Samus magically gets her old suit back with no explanation" because that would be total crap.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2003, 05:13:16 PM »
Both are easily explainable

1) It can take place on another planet, a la Metroid Prime on Tallon IV...

2) The Chozo basically mass-produced all the gear that Samus uses...How else could she get them in every single game?  

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2003, 06:38:43 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Both are easily explainable

1) It can take place on another planet, a la Metroid Prime on Tallon IV...

Two questions:

1. Have you actually seen the pics and vids of Zero Mission?

2. Have you even played the original Metroid or Super Metroid for that matter?

The reason I ask is because it should be clear that almost all the areas shown in Zero Mission pics and vids came straight out of Metroid or Super Metroid. Both games by the way take place on Zebes. So that means that Zero Mission takes place on Zebes too.

By the way click here to see several pics comparing all three games thanks to derrickkendall of the IGN.com Metroid boards.

Originally posted by: Bill
2) The Chozo basically mass-produced all the gear that Samus uses...How else could she get them in every single game?

I realize that she could find another Power Suit the Chozo left lying around or something. My point was is that we haven't seen her in the Fusion Suit in any of the Zero Mission pics or vids. Even in pics and vids that clearly show she only has one or two Energy Tanks (indicating it's near the beginning of the game) she is wearing the Power Suit. I suppose that it could be explained how she gets it back in the opening cinema but you still have the problem with Zebes to deal with anyway.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2003, 09:03:46 PM »

He said he doesn't like the idea of simply PORTING a game. Metroid Zero Mission would not be a port it would be a REMAKE with upgraded graphics and sound as well as many other big changes to the original game.

Sorry, but a remake barely differs from a port, yeah it takes more work but it is the same premise. Besides he made it quite clear he wants to do NEW things. I can't argue with you based on the Metroid timeline, because I don't really have any information readily available (I could search, but I'm far too lazy).

But... having looked at the screenshot comparisons you posted... I guess I am wrong.  I still don't think anything Sakamoto said alluded to a remake, though.

I didn't realize Nintendo had made two "builds" of Zero Mission. That was pretty interesting

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2003, 10:15:31 PM »
First of all I thought I made it clear that I didn't feel he was alluding to Zero Mission being a remake either. My whole point from the beginning was that he wasn't alluding to whether or not it was a remake.

Also there is a pretty big difference between a port and remake. You know how you can unlock Metroid as a bonus on the Metroid Prime disk. Well that was a port because it was identical to the original game. Also the Ocarina of Time bonus disk for Wind Waker was a port. A remake is when they make an updated version of an older game from the ground up. The most common thing changed is graphics and sound but like in the case of Zero Mission they can also add new areas, enemies, items, and bosses.

That early build came from a video that Nintendo released at the very beginning of E3. It was put up on one of their Japanese sites. Metroid Fusion also had an early build which was even uglier than Zero Mission's. Click here to see some pics of it.

I want to make it clear again that I realize that it hasn't officially been announced it's a remake and it could very well be a new game. With all the things I mentioned earlier though I am leaning towards it being a remake until we get some actual info about what this game is.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2003, 09:13:07 AM »

Also there is a pretty big difference between a port and remake. You know how you can unlock Metroid as a bonus on the Metroid Prime disk. Well that was a port because it was identical to the original game. Also the Ocarina of Time bonus disk for Wind Waker was a port. A remake is when they make an updated version of an older game from the ground up. The most common thing changed is graphics and sound but like in the case of Zero Mission they can also add new areas, enemies, items, and bosses.

Yes, I know the difference between a remake and a port.

I  want to make it clear again that I realize that it hasn't officially been announced it's a remake and it could very well be a new game. With all the things I mentioned earlier though I am leaning towards it being a remake until we get some actual info about what this game is.

I'd never seen the Zero Mission footage (only a few screenshots), but having watched it and seen those comparisons, I think you are right.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2003, 02:28:54 PM »
Well then who knows?  As the title implies, this would be a prequel.  Hence, Zebes would not be destroyed, and Samus could very well be there.  It's been awhile since I last played, but I don't remember anything being said about it being Samus' FIRST time being there...Need more info...