Author Topic: Is the lack of Wii U sales exactly what Nintendo fans need?  (Read 25434 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Is the lack of Wii U sales exactly what Nintendo fans need?
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 06:43:07 PM »
The Vita doesn't deserve the treatment the Wii U is getting. It's not doing that poorly in sales and has a better software lineup than the Wii U does.
because its lineup = the PS3's lineup :D

but that is the sad truth of the matter, taking out the Vita's many multiplats the Vita still proves a match to the Wii U.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 06:59:45 PM »
Let's go ahead and close the book on the Wii U.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 08:09:33 PM »
Let's go ahead and close the book on the Wii U.

It must be because Nintendo hates third parties!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 08:16:21 PM »
The Vita doesn't deserve the treatment the Wii U is getting. It's not doing that poorly in sales and has a better software lineup than the Wii U does.

Only in Japan but in the West the Vita is selling worse and its upcoming lineup is a disaster.  Nintendo at least has their big hitters coming this Fall, while Sony isn't even trying to help the Vita out.  Outside of some niche Japanese games, Vita has nothing to boast sales in the West and will probably be dropped from most stores by the end of 2014.

The Wii U will at least have a future worldwide because of Nintendo's own software, while the Vita is looking to be Japan only after next year.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
Did you just call Persona 4 a niche Japanese game?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »
The Wii U certainly has a much stronger rest of the year than the Vita does, although the Wii U lineup the rest of the year could at least go toe to toe with most other platforms in that span. But the Vita's not even close to going Japan-only.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »

It's pretty much the definition of a niche Japanese game (like Call of Duty is for FPS).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 08:30:18 PM »

It's pretty much the definition of a niche Japanese game (like Call of Duty is for FPS).

Explain.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 08:32:30 PM »
It's niche, which I don't think even most fans of the game would dispute. It's Japanese. Therefore it's a niche Japanese game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 08:42:44 PM »
Go look up what the sales are for each Persona 3 and 4 title and tell me if you still think it's niche. Shin Megami Tensei is one of the big three: Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and SMT.

Offline Bizzy_Fatso

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 08:45:22 PM »
Only in Japan but in the West the Vita is selling worse and its upcoming lineup is a disaster.  Nintendo at least has their big hitters coming this Fall, while Sony isn't even trying to help the Vita out.  Outside of some niche Japanese games, Vita has nothing to boast sales in the West and will probably be dropped from most stores by the end of 2014.

The Wii U will at least have a future worldwide because of Nintendo's own software, while the Vita is looking to be Japan only after next year.

If the PS4 is a big success (and all signs point to it doing well), and they cut the Vita's price (which seems all but inevitable), then the remote play feature could be a big boon to Vita sales.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 08:46:23 PM »
It depends on your definition of niche. By general gaming standards, maybe, but as far as JRPGs go the Persona games are far from niche. You'd be hard pressed to find a more popular entry in that genre in recent years.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 08:52:35 PM »
J.P. is right. ESPECIALLY outside of Japan, where the Shin Megami Tensei series is not a big series (P4 was the first one to have any significant sales).

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »

I'll give you that Dragon's Crown could potentially be perceived as "niche", but Killzone Mercenary is an FPS, the #1 genre in North America.  I personally think the game's going to bomb released up against Grand Theft Auto 4, but it's certainly not some "niche Japanese game."  There's also what's likely to be the superior version of Rayman Legends (based on the best version of Origins being on Vita) coming out that same month on Vita, along with Tearaway in November, which was getting very positive buzz at E3.

Besides, Nintendo would kill for the Wii U to have the Vita's software attach rate, which IIRC Sony said was somewhere around 10 games per Vita owner.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 09:00:34 PM »
J.P. is right. ESPECIALLY outside of Japan, where the Shin Megami Tensei series is not a big series (P4 was the first one to have any significant sales).

Wrong. Within the JRPG scene (which is LARGE), the SMT series and specifically Persona is fucking BIG. They are not niche. Like I said before, SMT is the third largest JRPG series ever, in terms of sales and number of games.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 09:06:44 PM »
JRPG is only big in Japan and it has been that way for years now. Outside of Japan the series got very little attention until P4. Even in Japan, it's moderately successful. Maybe outside of Japan it will be bigger not, but the series was pretty much ignored until P4.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 09:09:49 PM »
Man, you are ridiculous. Only you would make a claim like JRPG's not being big outside of Japan.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »
Have you actually looked at sales charts? JRPGs have not been big outside of Japan for at least 5 years. I'm being objective, they have not had much success in a long time.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 09:22:24 PM »
Have you actually looked at sales charts? JRPGs have not been big outside of Japan for at least 5 years. I'm being objective, they have not had much success in a long time.

How do both FF 13 games selling millions equate to "not much success." Sure, not CoD numbers, but few games reach those heights.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 09:26:38 PM »
The only games that have made me remotely interested in the Vita are Dragon's Crown, Killzone: Mercenary, and the PS One classics. If it were not for these games, or if they were availalbe on the 3DS, then the Vita would be useless to me. As for the Wii U, I am interested in every game for it at this point. I just wish there were more third party titles for the Wii U.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2013, 09:30:14 PM »
The only games that have made me remotely interested in the Vita are Dragon's Crown, Killzone: Mercenary, and the PS One classics. If it were not for these games, or if they were availalbe on the 3DS, then the Vita would be useless to me.

You're entitled to your opinion, but if that's all you see of value I doubt you've really looked at the Vita's library, especially on the digital side.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2013, 09:31:39 PM »
Did I say NO JRPG's have been big? I did not, but the genre as a whole has lost a lot of significance and sales in the last 5 years or so, especially outside of Japan.

And i've looked at the PS Vita's library, I am not too impressed. Def not enough to justify a $250 pricetag.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 09:33:19 PM »

How do both FF 13 games selling millions equate to "not much success." Sure, not CoD numbers, but few games reach those heights.

The Final Fantasy name has garnered enough fandom to justify sales of that magnitude.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 09:38:43 PM »
The only games that have made me remotely interested in the Vita are Dragon's Crown, Killzone: Mercenary, and the PS One classics. If it were not for these games, or if they were availalbe on the 3DS, then the Vita would be useless to me.

You're entitled to your opinion, but if that's all you see of value I doubt you've really looked at the Vita's library, especially on the digital side.

There is nothing about the Vita that justifies paying full price for it. The Wii U is just the opposite.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2013, 09:41:53 PM »

There is nothing about the Vita that justifies paying full price for it. The Wii U is just the opposite.

Should I put that quote in the fanboy thread?