Author Topic: Dear Nintendo: Please unify my wallet  (Read 12307 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Dear Nintendo: Please unify my wallet
« on: April 22, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »
Dear Nintendo:

Between five different shops on four different Nintendo systems, I have $357.67 worth of Nintendo Funny-Money.

I know a unified account system is against everything you hold dear, but can I just have a single wallet?  Pretty please?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Nintendo: Please unify my wallet
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
Seriously.

I only have like $2.xx left on my Wii U account. My DSi has no points left since I finally gave in and bought Bomberman Blitz on DSi (ehh, not great). It's silly that I can't share currency between Wii U and 3DS, but I'm hopeful that this will be resolved in the future. Nintendo Network in general and the eshop really need to be far more unified between handheld and console. I would be more comfortable buying download only games if Nintendo ironed this all out. It's very disorganized. There are a few WiiWare games I wanted to try (namely Konami's Rebirth series), so hopefully they'll make the transition to the Wii U eshop.

It's also pretty wonky that there's no way to pay an exact amount on purchases. I didn't know about this until my friend bought Trine 2 and he said he was only able to use his credit card in Nintendo eshop Prepaid Card increments. There will always be left over points after tax unless you live in one of the fancy states that don't have sales tax. If Nintendo is going to allow credit card purchases, it would be super nice of them to allow a purchase of (for example) $21.40 instead of forcing someone to buy $25 in eshop credit, leaving $3.60 left over.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:37:31 AM by Adrock »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:37:37 AM »
They haven't added the option for "Required amount" onto the WiiU eShop? I know it's there on 3DS...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:42:57 AM »
Not sure as I haven't tried it myself. I'm weary of using my credit card since PSN got hacked so I only used Prepaid Cards. My friend may just have just been a newb and missed it. Even if I won't use the option, I definitely think it should be there.

If it's possible, can you combine left over credit and the remaining balance?

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
You can pay exact amount with a credit card. Just pick the required amount option.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:11:55 AM »
The Wii U does let you pay exact amount, but for some reason it does it differently from the 3DS shop.

As someone who's had store credit a couple times and used it to buy eShop cards, it's really annoying to have to figure out which system I want to add them to. I honestly don't even care if purchases transfer between the two, which seems likely to be the holdup, just give me the damn unified wallet.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 01:43:41 PM »
There is probably some jerk in Nintendo that WANTS this exact problem to happen.  If you have a couple of bucks in each store account and can't realistically buy anything, well, either you just eat that money, so Nintendo got a couple bucks for nothing, or you go top it off in some way so that you can buy something.  That gets a few purchases out of you.  It's dirty but I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Nintendo is thrilled about it because if every Nintendo customer has to make some five dollar purchase just to clear the balance on an account they don't use anymore that all adds up.  Is that not the whole reason why ANY of these online stores ever made it so you have to buy in groups of 5 or 10 and not to the specific penny amount?  Some one planned for me to have to put $10 in to buy a $7 game and then have to eat the extra three bucks or put more money in to buy something else.

A unified account is good for us but not for Nintendo (or MS or Sony or any company offering this kind of service) and it just has to not be bad enough to lose our online business outright.

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
Ian your are ranting out of your ass again. If you have 2 dollars in the shop and need to buy something that is 5 dollars you can pay the rest with a credit card.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »
If it's possible, can you combine left over credit and the remaining balance?
If you have 2 dollars in the shop and need to buy something that is 5 dollars you can pay the rest with a credit card.
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but thanks anyway. +1

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »
For some reason, the button you use to pay the exact amount is different on Wii U and 3DS. On 3DS you hit the "Needed Funds" button, and then pay the exact amount. But on Wii U you hit the "Pay Remainder Using Credit Card" Button (or something like that), and then you just put in the exact amount (or it does it for you).

Either way you should never have money remaining unless you use a points card. But yes, they still need to unify the accounts. No doubt about that.
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 12:59:12 AM »
They're criminal scum. Just you guys wait until you have accounts in different countries to access regional exclusives or favourable pricing. I wouldn't even mind if they went back to Nintendo points if it meant one single account that can be used in any country on any device.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 01:01:06 AM »
I wouldn't mind the different accounts in exchange for the ability to get regional exclusives.

Let me clarify - I wouldn't mind if Nintendo came out and said "Hey, you can do this now."  But, if it started out that way, I'd probably complain about how it's stupid.  Hell, I'd still complain about how it's stupid, but I'd rather have the option than no option.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 02:39:29 AM »
All I want from Nintendo is a unified system account similar to that of iTunes that I can integrate into my Paypal account and buy games instantly with the click of a few buttons and ID verification.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »
I have 2,800 Wii Points left that I'll probably never use since nothing new is ever coming out.

Can I use Wii Points to upgrade games to Wii U?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 06:42:38 PM »
I have 2,800 Wii Points left that I'll probably never use since nothing new is ever coming out.

Can I use Wii Points to upgrade games to Wii U?
no... gift me stuff, i want stuff...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 08:51:48 PM »
Ouch, that's a lot of extra points. Can you gift on 3DS or Wii U? Could arrange a trade with someone where you gift a Wii title and someone else gifts you a title from a different system.

This feels like the eternal issue of 12 hot dog buns versus the 8-pack of hot dogs; it never ends...and it's worse if you buy those Hebrew National Kosher dogs that are in sets of 7.

I have a few points left on my DSi. I should have thought it through and gotten extra points to buy enough stuff on there before I did my system transfer to the 3DS. Now I have an odd number of points stuck on my DSi. Too bad they didn't transfer to the 3DS and convert back to dollars.

I actually half assumed that the wallet would be unified with the 3DS and the Wii U so it is disappointing to find out they are not.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »
With the DSi, there is no gifting feature, but you can always download DSiWare and transfer individual titles to the 3DS.  But, A) It's a pain in the neck and B) 3DS has that whole "cleaning the fridge" mindset when it comes to DSiWare.  Also, I have virtually everything good on DSiWare.

With the Wii U, the Wii U version of the Wii Shop does not support gifting (Yeah, I know), so, once you've transferred everything, you're boned.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 02:16:04 PM »
I think I have 1800 Wii points left.  I haven't bought anything on the Wii in about 3 years.  Any suggestions on how to spend those points?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »
If you want a fun party game then get Jungle Speed. It is a huge hit with everyone who has played it. Can go up to 8 players and has just as much crowd appeal as Wii Sports or Mario Kart. I would argue that it has even more of an appeal than those games since it is a relatively simple card game. It even gets the 'refuse to try other casual games' folks to give it a go. Almost never get my brother-in-law to try a videogame and he had trouble passing his remote to someone else last Christmas.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »
They may unify it once they finish bringing the 3DS the Wii U's improvements for the NN. And from what I heard about the NN building up to the release of the Wii U they do plan on integrating the 3DS and Wii U accounts to make the console "account bound" and not the accounts bound to the consoles.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline paleselan

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 12:31:33 AM »
This would make life SO much easier.
Check out my NintendoNetwork64 Youtube channel and website:
https://www.youtube.com/user/NintendoNetwork64
https://www.NN64.org

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 04:02:41 PM »
Ian your are ranting out of your ass again. If you have 2 dollars in the shop and need to buy something that is 5 dollars you can pay the rest with a credit card.

No, I bought $20 dollars on the Wii U eshop and could only by a couple of things. I wanted to buy some stuff off of regular wii as well so I ended up buying another 20 dollars. I buy a couple of games and theres a balance left over. If I could combine the damn money I could buy something else.

I think I have 1800 Wii points left.  I haven't bought anything on the Wii in about 3 years.  Any suggestions on how to spend those points?

you can gift forum members.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 08:38:24 AM »
Ms. Emily says - shared 3DS/Wii U balance coming soon!

https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers/status/364996244906590208

Yay!  Half way there (and closer than I ever really thought we'd be...)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 09:07:35 AM »
Oh my blob, please let this be true. Then, allow those Virtual Console games to be played in both console and handheld and we're set.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 09:43:16 AM »
HER again. Well, that means it likely won't happen.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20