Author Topic: leaked specs?  (Read 2922 times)

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
leaked specs?
« on: May 21, 2005, 12:31:50 AM »

http://www.freewebs.com/realgamesplayers/index.htm

Quote:
Nintendo Revolution Specifications leaked (5/20/2005)

This morning we received these specs for Nintendo's Revolution from a trustworthy Nintendo insider

After speaking to developers close to Revolution development we can confirm that these are indeed legitimate.

Here is the rundown -

IBM Single 1.5Ghz Risc Core (Broadway)

ATI 300Mhz Graphics Core (Hollywood)

128MB MoSys Ram UMA Total System

Audio Handled via CPU

12x DVD 48x CD-ROM Drive

15GB HDD

Built in WiFi (802.11b/g)

Wireless Controllers

480 ProgScan support

Full Backwards Compatibity With GC Software Library

ok, now the link or the site it links to nolonger exists
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline OptimusPrime

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: leaked specs?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 02:37:21 AM »
If this is true, then why is the confirmed 512 mb inbuild fash-memory not included in the spec-sheet? Everything else that's allready is confirmed is in it but not the built-in flash memory... it's the little details that can really screw things like this over.
"SOMETHING"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 04:31:11 AM »
15GB HDD? Fake. They've confirmed that it uses flash memory and 512MB thereof. The whole data looks unbelievable, I mean, 1.5GHz is well below middle-of-the-line, they'd have to be extremely stupid to choose values vastly below what IBM would give them as standard. Same for the Ati card, do they even make 300MHz chips anymore?

It slunds almost like specs for some ancient Mac.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 05:15:13 AM »
According to these specs the Rev would be a Mac Mini with a faster CPU and a slower GPU. That makes no sense in my opinion, especialy for a device that will be visualy intensive.

I also think that Nintendo would go with a larger amount of RAM, maybe 256~512MB.

480p only, come on, I believe even Nintendo would not be that silly. I'm pretty sure they will go with the standards set by the ATSC and go all the way up to 720p and 1080i, and maybe 1080p, which I think is catching on in Japan.

Like everyone else I want to know were the hell the HDD came from when Nintendo themselves said that it will have 512 MB falsh memory.

I think this is someones idea of a joke.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 06:03:08 AM »
Dude, that source (http://www.freewebs.com/realgamesplayers/index.htm) is giving a 404, and why would anyone trust a site that was hosted by freewebs?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 07:26:27 AM »
Its complete bull... this guy just tripled all the Gamecube's specs and added a HD and Wifi. But if it was real....

That CPU is probably sufficient. For all the added horsepower these multicore monstrosities are expected to have, something like a stock 1.5 Ghz G4 processor is plenty powerful for games. Keeping in mind what amazing things they managed to do with the Gekko on the Cube, tripling the clock speed and adding Altivec to the mix is enough of an upgrade from generation to generation. Its also a hell of a lot easier to program for.

The GPU could be underpowered, but I wouldn't bet on it. Clock speed isn't terribly meaningful. All of ATI's stock embedded solutions run at 300 Mhz or less. I think we can count on ATI coming up with a custom embedded processor that's ahead of what they currently offer (especially considering launch is at least a year away), but even if they went with a stock Mobility Radeon X300 it would offer plenty of horsepower to be lightyears ahead of anything this generation and capable of giving the Xbox 360 a run for it's money.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 08:10:02 AM »
In some imaginary world where those specs are real Nintendo would be a laughing stock.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 08:23:08 AM »
I don't see why that should be the case... a 300 Mhz clocked GPU is more than capable of producing the kind of graphics we saw from the Xbox 360 demos. The CPU is underpowered by comparison, but much easier to program for... kind of like the original PS's CPU versus the Saturn's multiprocessor nightmare. Other than being a bit light on RAM, I'd be comfortable with those specs for the Rev, even though I don't believe they're real.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 10:07:19 AM »
Fake. Jeez at least the other fake specs I saw with Rev having dual core 3hz copper G5 were more believable. Didn't MoSys already unintentionally confirm that the Rev is going to have 512MBs of Main RAM?
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 10:08:40 AM »
"480p only, come on, I believe even Nintendo would not be that silly. I'm pretty sure they will go with the standards set by the ATSC and go all the way up to 720p and 1080i, and maybe 1080p, which I think is catching on in Japan."

This is definitely false, considering what I believe was Perrin's statement about it supporting 480p 720p and 1080i.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:leaked specs?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 10:42:16 AM »
I know you all already know these specs are fake, so it won't come as a surprise when I tell you those specs were made up by someone on GAF and then picked up by that web site as possible leak. "trustworthy Nintendo insider"  So pay no mind to those specs, they were never real, and I expect Rev to be alot more powwerful that that (what has IBM & ATi been doing for the last 4 years? they could surely come up with something alot more powerful thatn that and shrink it in 4 years)  

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 11:25:37 AM »
You're right... I could take commodity parts from IBM and ATi and come up with a console of those specs for $200...  not to say some of those raw numbers might be accurate (again, 300 Mhz is enough for a damned powerful GPU, if designed properly), but Nintendo's not the kind of company to spend 4 years hanging out with an ATi division and decide "eh, we'll just slap a vanilla Mobility x300 in there".

That's actually more of a Microsoft thing.