Author Topic: Episode 107: True Form  (Read 5497 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 107: True Form
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:58:15 AM »

Podcast Editor Extraordinaire Greg Leahy shares his wisdom.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/radiotrivia/29890

Did you like this episode's game selections? Let your fellow listeners know in TalkBack! Think you've got a better choice? Then send it my way and your request might be on the next episode of Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition!  Heck, throw in a question and specific songs if you want.  Just remember, it has to be a game found on a Nintendo system in North America (unless we say otherwise)!

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Episode 107: True Form
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:58:44 AM »
Games featured in this episode:

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Snake Rattle 'n Roll (NES)
Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy (SNES – PAL)
Mighty Switch Force (3DS)

(Highlight the text above with your cursor to view it.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:17:57 AM by TheYoungerPlumber »
Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 02:02:24 AM »
LOL, I haven't listened yet but I can tell at least one that Greg picked (#1, maybe #4 too).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 02:10:36 AM »
You're supposed to listen before you peek, TJ ;)
Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 02:14:31 AM »
LOL, I usually am never good at these anyways. Truth be told, I listen to hear the music and the discussion on the games.

Besides, the only one of these games I have played is #1. LOL
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:10:38 AM »
It's difficult not to peak at the game list when a new episode comes out.  It's like trying to make it to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop without biting.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline geo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »
Thats most of the fun, trying to figure it out!  Usually if i've played it, I can get it.  That said, I got KI:U and mighty switch force, but not the rest.  :(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:26:26 PM by Yoshidious »

Offline roykoopa64

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 11:51:46 PM »
Good episode!

Great to hear Greg talked about his beloved game #1 Super Ghouls n Ghosts. I still haven't played it, I somehow missed it back in the SNES days, but I need to try it out, as frustrating it may be!

I love Game #2 and easily identified the music. Kid Icarus Uprising has become my most played 3DS game with over 30 hours in, and there's still so much I have left to do. The music is amazing, and I'm glad it was picked.

I never played game #3, 4, and 5, so I could not identify those. Great discussions nonetheless, especially regarding game #4, Parodius. What a fascinating game we never got to play in America!
Fanático de Nintendo desde 1985

My Miiverse profile

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »
Good to hear Game #5. By the way, the answer to the trivia question is the Hooligan Sisters. I don't think that was ever answered. If it was, my bad.

Gotta go buy that soundtrack now.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 01:49:44 AM »
Most of the songs in Game 5 feel too busy to be from Sonic the Hedgehog games on Genesis but one of the songs I included in the background during discussion most certainly does.
Nintendo World Report

Offline geo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
TYP,
I've been listening to some of the older radio trivia podcasts, and at the end of them you always sign off with a bonus song.  Is there any way you could bring that feature back!?  That way you can re-play games that you have already used in previous episodes or just highlight some different compositions of great video game music.  Doesn't have to be trivia, just whatever song you feel like listening to at the time!  But, I think it was a great addition to the old radio trivia episodes! 

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »
By the way, the answer to the trivia question is the Hooligan Sisters. I don't think that was ever answered. If it was, my bad.

Your bad.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 01:03:04 AM »
TYP,
I've been listening to some of the older radio trivia podcasts, and at the end of them you always sign off with a bonus song.  Is there any way you could bring that feature back!?  That way you can re-play games that you have already used in previous episodes or just highlight some different compositions of great video game music.  Doesn't have to be trivia, just whatever song you feel like listening to at the time!  But, I think it was a great addition to the old radio trivia episodes!
I tend to sign off with an encore song from the same episode's batch of songs, and I think it works well.... I don't recall "always" signing off with a reprisal song ever being a recurring feature, but my memory isn't the greatest. If it was recurring feature, it must have died off awful quickly. I found something like this in Episode 3 prompted by Windy, but not in the 10s.

I could make an effort to do more TYP shorts, which are a bit like what you're asking for. Unfortunately, I have lots of "real life" irons in the fire that are detracting from my participation in NWR activities, some of which I anticipate will cool off later this year.
Nintendo World Report

Offline geo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »
I tend to sign off with an encore song from the same episode's batch of songs, and I think it works well.... I don't recall "always" signing off with a reprisal song ever being a recurring feature, but my memory isn't the greatest. If it was recurring feature, it must have died off awful quickly. I found something like this in Episode 3 prompted by Windy, but not in the 10s.

I could make an effort to do more TYP shorts, which are a bit like what you're asking for. Unfortunately, I have lots of "real life" irons in the fire that are detracting from my participation in NWR activities, some of which I anticipate will cool off later this year.

Ok, not ALWAYS, but for about a few consecutive episodes (I was on episode 6ish when I typed this!).  I just want you to know I appreciate ALL of your hard work, and it was your podcast that led me to this site and to RFN (and now connectivity/famicast).  It's great that you still manage to pump out new episodes even though you have a busy real-world life.  So, just letting you know I appreciate your hard work, and keep it up! 

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 01:17:07 AM »
Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.
Nintendo World Report