Author Topic: Something that bugs me (about games on the Wii)  (Read 14296 times)

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Something that bugs me (about games on the Wii)
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2007, 10:15:22 AM »
true but I didnt have trouble finding enough to keep me busy, but I am more of a collector than a gamer I buy games just to sayI have them not alwasy to play them. so I am an exception and tend to forget that.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Something that bugs me (about games on the Wii)
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
I just want 3rd parties to make some Wii exclusives to fill in the gaps that Nintendo leaves.  

That means online fps games, and western rpgs and stuff like that.  

I think the so-so Wii games will be ports with Wii controls.  And well I could without most of those.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2007, 01:07:42 PM »
Wii also happens to be devoid of Japanese RPGs. The closest Nintendo is to filling that gap is Fire Emblem, which is more strategy RPG than anything. There is that mysterious Camelot RPG that seems to have fallen off the face of the planet so that doesn't even really count.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2007, 01:16:23 PM »
Currently, the console with the most JRPGs is the X360... But yeah, the question is when will the PS3's supposed third party support mature in the RPG field, or will they lose some series to the Wii?

Hmmm... this isn't an RPG per se but... could Harvest Moon become Wii exclusive?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2007, 02:59:41 PM »
Let's remember "The Formula" again, shall we?

More crap games = larger overall library = more consoles sold = more 3rd party interest in development = more AAA games.

Ergo...

More crap games = More AAA Games

You have any idea how many total sh*t games the PS2 has out for it? And yet, when a clueless customer asks that simple question "Which one has the most games?" you can bet your ass another PS2 gets rung up and sold.

The Wii will thrive if it has that edge going for it. Trust me.

On the subject of crap games, why do you care? Crap games don't hurt you. There has yet to be a game so terrible that everyone who owns the console it's made for will find themselves mocked purely by association. All it means is that the Wii's game library has increased by 1, and like I said, that has a very beneficial cumulative effect.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2007, 03:38:16 PM »
Will the systems war be reclassified as the size of game libraries war?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2007, 03:59:09 PM »
No, crap games don't hurt.  However, I don't like thinking that the Wii is the machine that companies just crank out a quick and dirty port for.  I want them to at least pretend they're going to put some effort into it.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
No, crap games don't hurt.  However, I don't like thinking that the Wii is the machine that companies just crank out a quick and dirty port for.  I want them to at least pretend they're going to put some effort into it.

And they WILL.

Just like SB said, the PS2 was home to A LOT of games, many of the crap. But it also featured some amazing games, some being the best available this generation.

As an example, Okami, one of last year's most celebrated games, was born on the PS2. Would the PS2 have gotten that game if it wasn't the home to a great selection of games? Probably, but if there's anything the GC taught us is that when developers are not happy with how a game is selling on a console they will expand it and release it across other systems.

The Wii is only 3 months old, the games are barely starting to come. The games announced range from multiplatform ports to Wii exclusive. Please, put down the fanboy angst aside and just wait. If you want to avoid the inevitable bad games, fine. Its your money. But please, and I say this to EVERYONE, don't put down the efforts of third party developers. Some are truly dedicated and really want to develop of it.

At least give them a chance before jumping at them claiming "YOUR GAMES WILL SUCK AND WILL RUIN THE WII!!!!".
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2007, 04:27:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Currently, the console with the most JRPGs is the X360... But yeah, the question is when will the PS3's supposed third party support mature in the RPG field, or will they lose some series to the Wii?

Hmmm... this isn't an RPG per se but... could Harvest Moon become Wii exclusive?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

If I were to pick whose going to end up with the most JRPGs it's going to be the DS.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2007, 05:15:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm

That's like asking that human beings on the whole stop being lazy, selfish and incompetent. You might as well just demand that Niagara Falls start flowing up.

We're gonna get crap games by the truckload and nothing would change that, but it IS for the best because someone out there is buying those crap games too.

When it comes time to choose a console to launch a AAA title on, the system that had tons of crap games which gradually expanded its userbase will be the one chosen because of the number of consoles sold. As strange as it sounds, we have crap games to thank for AAA titles.

Think of how beautiful flowers need dirt to grow and you'll understand the analogy.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2007, 05:24:12 PM »
S_B, in some occasions plants need manure...which is ANIMAL CRAP.

Now that I think about it...

Manure: The absolutely god awful games
Dirt: Bad games that are still somewhat playable
Seed: Average game, but has potential
Bud: Solid title, but still needs improvement
Flower in bloom: A rock solid, amazing little game.
Beautiful flower: The absolute best game ever!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2007, 04:06:16 AM »
I like Ian's "two types of gamers" theory as well.

As long as there are desirable games coming to platforms that exclude Wii, there will always be demanding consumers that are not satisfied. And there's nothing really wrong with that. We should always demand more and better. I've never seen a company successfully self-mediate and positively dictate what's best for everyone.

There has been a problem that works against the demanding Nintendo consumer, and that is mathematics. If there were only 2 consoles, 3rd party support would be more equally diverse. When you've got 3, someone can easily get squeezed out, and clearly Nintendo was. Thus the situation that arose where Nintendo needed to sustain its own platforms, and their belief that they had to "make their own market" in the form of the Wii.

The Type 1 Nintendo consumer that Ian mentioned (NES/SNES era) is not going to entirely like this, and really their only recourse as this point is to adopt Wii60 or PSWii, as much as the idea of buying 2 platforms (or even just buying a non-Nintendo platform in general) might suck. This generation can, at best, only be Nintendo getting back into the Type 1's game. It would take a number of years to obtain critical mass and get things really moving on all cylinders. Wii2 may be a whole other story depending on how well Nintendo can capture momentum in the next couple years. Games like Manhunt right now are small battle wins; the war is still extremely young. If they turn out to be isolated token titles like the mature games of GameCube were, then the tide's not really turning. Wait and see.  
"wow."

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2007, 04:59:58 AM »
"This generation can, at best, only be Nintendo getting back into the Type 1's game. It would take a number of years to obtain critical mass and get things really moving on all cylinders."

I think this is better than nothing and I would quite content seeing this kind of performance out of a Nintendo console.  On the Cube it not only felt like things were never going to improve but that Nintendo themselves didn't care and weren't making a serious effort.  The Xbox wasn't number one last gen but it was always doing better and looking more and more like a serious contender for that spot in a later generation.  The Cube went from second place to last and it became very obvious early on that it had no chance.  Neither console was number one but one was going up and the other was going down and that had a huge effect on the general attitude and satisfaction of the userbase.  Thus the Xbox's life ended on a high note as a popular brand name while the Cube was largely forgotten about two years before it ended.  It's the difference between a team that didn't make the playoffs but has tons of young talent and potential and a team that didn't make the playoffs and isn't going to for the immediate future.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2007, 06:07:56 AM »
Thank the Wii for getting us to the Playoffs!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com