Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 196903 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2009, 07:48:14 PM »
LOL, what a moment.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 22, 2009, 11:47:53 PM »
For the Genesis nominations I'm actually going to nominate two games.  Shining Force II because it's one of my favorite games ever and I can't not mention it.  And Pulseman because it's really interesting.  A. It wasn't really available in the States.  B.  It's made by the company that went on to do the Pokemon games.  C.  It's made by the company that went on to do the amazing Drill Dozer.  D.  Because the game is great. 

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 23, 2009, 02:31:13 AM »
You know, the next time we do an N64 poll we really ought to nominate Perfect Dark.  Yeah, it's not on the VC and never will be, but I expect many gamers still own their N64s (or a means to play those games through...alternative...methods) and that game.  I mention this because due to my current PS3 exile, I actually decided to do something I haven't done since I bought my GameCube way back when: actually hook up my N64 and play a game on it.  I'd actually forgotten I even still owned Perfect Dark; Goldeneye; Jet Force Gemini; and Conker's Bad Fur day, and they're probably all going to get some playing time over the next 2 weeks.  I'm playing Perfect Dark right now, and not only does it still blow crap like the Conduit out of the water, but looking at the game Rare was remarkably forward-thinking.  The game has an option for 16:9 TVs with a High-Def textures option (which probably shoots the framerate further into hell, but whatever), with the ability to use 2 N64 controllers at once for a dual-analog system!  Wow.

I just think it would be an interesting discussion looking at Perfect Dark (or Goldeneye, for that matter) and how the FPS genre has advanced since then.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2009, 02:35:01 AM »
I didn't know they had an HD option. Imagine playing that on an overclocked system where the framerate could keep up.

I also didn't know there was a dual analogue option. That is also cool. I loved using the dual analog option in Podracer.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2009, 03:08:36 AM »
For the Genesis poll I'm nominating any of the four Sonic games since I have them on the Sonic Mega Collection.

The game has an option for 16:9 TVs with a High-Def textures option (which probably shoots the framerate further into hell, but whatever), with the ability to use 2 N64 controllers at once for a dual-analog system!  Wow.
Goldeneye has a widescreen option too, as well as a two-controller option. So dual-analogue control for shooters actually began life on the Nintendo 64.

The option isn't "high-def", it is "hi-res". What it does is bump the resolution up from 320x240 to 640x480. Of course, low-res textures displayed at hi-res don't look much better. And you're right, the framerate is atrocious when using the hi-res mode. I wouldn't recommend it.

I just think it would be an interesting discussion looking at Perfect Dark (or Goldeneye, for that matter) and how the FPS genre has advanced since then.
They haven't really progressed since then. Even the melee attack exists in a form.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2009, 03:13:52 AM »
Slappers only with One Hit Kills was awesome fun.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2009, 03:15:45 AM »
Perfect Dark can top that. Turbo Mode + One-Hit Kill + Hurricane Fists cheat + 8 Sims. What a massacre.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2009, 03:18:28 AM »
The AI was what really impressed me in Perfect Dark. I would set up a game with just me versus the maximum number of meat-sims for infinite time in a team match. At first they were clumsy and disorganized, but they learned. Soon they were roving in coordinated packs and were killing me more frequently. Made me wonder what would happen if I left it on for days like that.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2009, 03:25:05 AM »
Made me wonder what would happen if I left it on for days like that.
Nothing. There's a limit to each one of the A.I. level's ability so you'd never see a MeatSim grow to the skill of a DarkSim.

Yes, I HAVE inadvertently tested this one time when I left the system on 24/7 to see how long it could last before it would freeze up. It went for 4 days but then there was a power outage... makes me wonder how long it could really last.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/Mop_it_up/Bucket%20of%20Randomism/Random008.jpg

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2009, 03:39:46 AM »
What else does your Bucket of Randomism hold, I wonder.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2009, 03:41:52 AM »
You don't want to know.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 23, 2009, 03:50:26 AM »
I need a password to see it...  :P
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2009, 04:01:18 AM »
They haven't really progressed since then. Even the melee attack exists in a form.

Maybe you're right, considering that High Voltage's Conduit sets FPS action back to the age of Doom.   :rolleyes:  Seriously, games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark proved that FPS games could work on a console, and it's because of them that we have games like Bioshock and whatnot now.  You also had mission objectives, guns with multiple firing modes, campaign modes with increasing levels of complexity as you increased the difficulty, programmable AI bots, etc.  I think there's a fair amount to talk about there.

And yeah, on second-look it was an option for "High Res" textures.  I guess I was distracted by the unexpected sight of a 16:9 option that I misread the textures option right below it.  I've gotten so used to the term "Def" following "High" these days.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:08:27 AM by broodwars »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2009, 04:29:37 AM »
Pretty sad when Rare had widescreen games back on N64 and companies have trouble doing that still on Wii.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2009, 10:32:20 AM »
I would like to nominate Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2 and Phantasy Star 4.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2009, 05:24:18 PM »
Will we have a WiiWare poll? I'd like to have one eventually. There are some good games on there and I'm sure a couple of the diamonds were missed by a lot of us here.
My Game Collection

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
Yeah Stratos, I want to do WiiWare when the time comes.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »

Are there really WiiWare games that people might have overlooked, though?  The great and even just-above-mediocre ones (ex: Lost Winds) get plenty of hype when they come out, just because they're such a contrast to the usual trash on the service.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2009, 10:29:47 PM »

Are there really WiiWare games that people might have overlooked, though?  The great and even just-above-mediocre ones (ex: Lost Winds) get plenty of hype when they come out, just because they're such a contrast to the usual trash on the service.
Oh sure there are. Everyone knows about the big ones, but great titles like Toki Tori, Target Toss Pro and both of Hudson's FPS games rarely get any love, let alone the amount they deserve. I'd argue that even Swords and Soldiers gets less attention than it should have, since apart from a few "this looks like Castle Crashers!" comments it got at its announcement and release, no one's really paid it much attention. It's a pity too, because it's one of the service's best (in my opinion, of course).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 03, 2009, 11:02:35 PM »
I'm sure GP would agree with me that Jungle Speed should be on the WiiWare poll.

Consider that a nomination for it. I recommended it to a friend of mine and his wife and they simply adore it. A surprisingly quality title.
My Game Collection

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »
I'm sure GP would agree with me that Jungle Speed should be on the WiiWare poll.

Consider that a nomination for it. I recommended it to a friend of mine and his wife and they simply adore it. A surprisingly quality title.

I second that nomination. It appears to be a title that didn't do all that well since you never hear about it even though it deserves more praise then some more popular games on the service.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
On the subject of WiiWare games, I also have to suggest Swords & Soldiers, because the hidden depth and tactical possibilities would make for good conversation, I reckon. It's just so fun to play, plus it has monkeys that are ninjas!
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2009, 04:53:09 PM »
For the Genesis poll I'm nominating any of the four Sonic games since I have them on the Sonic Mega Collection.

I thought you hated emulation? You have Sonic Mega Collection but won't touch Virtual Console? They're exactly the same thing... in principle, at least.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2009, 01:38:00 AM »
I think it's more the fact that VC games do not have a physical copy you can place on a shelf. Mega Collection is on a physical disc.

Though she does prefer to play games on their original systems.
My Game Collection

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2009, 02:32:17 PM »
For the Genesis poll I'd like to nominate Ghouls 'n' Ghosts;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!