Author Topic: Brawl Causing Problems With Wii Consoles  (Read 5812 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Brawl Causing Problems With Wii Consoles
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
"A very small number" of Wii owners are finding their consoles can't read the dual-layer disc used by the game.  Others can't see the Wi-Fi options when connected.  UPDATED: Nintendo claims the Wi-Fi Options issue is resolved!
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15549

UPDATE: A thread posted by "NOA_TECH_JANE" on Nintendo's Tech Support Forums is now claiming that the missing Spectator Mode and Options issue is resolved.  Has it been resolved for you?  Let us know in Talkback!    

There are reports of Brawl failing to boot from the Wii Menu.  A few people have been experiencing read errors, and some are unable to install the firmware update that comes included on the Brawl game disc.  Nintendo of America has released an official statement on the matter through a company spokesperson:    

"Nintendo of America has received some reports that a very small number  of Wii consoles cannot properly read the dual-layered disc for the new  Super Smash Bros. Brawl game.  Upon examination, Nintendo has  preliminarily determined that this disc-read error is caused by the  soiling of the consoles' optical lens by environmental factors such as  excessive dust and cigarette smoke. Nintendo is offering to clean these  systems free of charge, and recommends that consumers do not attempt to  clean the systems on their own. Information regarding the cleaning  service can be found at support.nintendo.com or by calling customer  service at 1-800-255-3700."    

NWR readers affected by this issue might do better to jump directly to the support claim form page and get it taken care of as soon as possible.  Nintendo’s website claims that it will expedite the shipping of affected Wii consoles both ways to hasten the repair process.    

NOA is also aware of issues people are having with the online features of Brawl.  We will pass along any official statement about known problems (missing menu options, generally poor connection quality of online matches, etc.) as soon as we hear it.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
Re: Brawl Causing Problems With Wii Consoles
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:42:44 PM »
I had my A button randomly engage while playing Brawl today (only on menus AFAIK, but later on the Wii menu too). Not sure if it was a controller or hardware problem, but a reboot fixed it for now.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:28:24 PM »
It's a dual-layer disc? LOL! I'm totally surprised by this relevation.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:48:22 PM »
I had troubles playing online.  I would keep getting disconnected while trying to find an oponent to battle, however, I could always spectate a match extreamly well.

maybe my network connection or the air the signal travels threw is dirty.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 11:59:51 PM »
I thought all Wii games were Dual Layer?
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 12:04:19 AM »
Nope, just SSBB and another Japanese game that just came out - Miberi and Tiberi or something like that. If you're having problems, it's not because of a "dirty" laser, it's because of a "bad" laser, since this error happens with brand new Wiis too, though it's a very small number altogether. Sometimes my Wii won't read my SSBB, though usually it does. It's always been behind a glass entertainment center door, which is 100% dust and dirt free.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 12:16:36 AM »
I got my Wii on launch day, do you think it would be affected? Now I am scared to buy SSBB.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 12:50:57 AM »
I got my Wii on launch day, do you think it would be affected? Now I am scared to buy SSBB.

I did too and received no problems.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 01:13:58 AM »
Nope, just SSBB and another Japanese game that just came out - Miberi and Tiberi or something like that. If you're having problems, it's not because of a "dirty" laser, it's because of a "bad" laser, since this error happens with brand new Wiis too, though it's a very small number altogether. Sometimes my Wii won't read my SSBB, though usually it does. It's always been behind a glass entertainment center door, which is 100% dust and dirt free.

Also I heard claims that Scarface is another double layer disc game.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 01:15:57 AM »

I did too and received no problems.

Same here
If you see me please just walk on by, walk on by forget my name and I'll forget it to

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 02:51:08 AM »
Yay, my WiFi Options finally appeared today.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:31:35 AM »

Also I heard claims that Scarface is another double layer disc game.
it isn't, the first DL game for Wii was SSBB
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 01:59:08 AM »
So then it must be the newer consoles than. That's a relief.

Offline planetidiot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 10:01:07 AM »
I've tried every night to go online, and only yesterday was I even able to get to the point where I could get a friend code.  It crapped while waiting and waiting and waiting for people to join a match.

Offline D-Caf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 08:27:39 PM »
Everything seems to have worked fine for me.  I bought my console in Early January after the November release.  Brawl plays fine, online and offline, and the firmware update went with no issue.