Author Topic: Steven Kent "Pulls an IGN"  (Read 46645 times)

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Steven Kent "Pulls an IGN"
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2005, 11:11:11 AM »
Let's wait a year and see where we end up...I hear the Reggielution'll begin to heat up by then  
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Steven Kent "Pulls an IGN"
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2005, 12:17:25 PM »
"What is really sad is that Goldeneye, a Nintendo co-produced game, essentially started the FPS craze, yet Nintendo doesn't have a good shooter for the cube..."

LOL Doom

As in the game.  Not Nintendo's doom.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2005, 04:08:52 PM »
I was going to post a retort to Steven Kent's comments, but then I realized I didn't know who the hell Steven Kent was and I really didn't give a s*** about his opinion.

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2005, 04:56:58 PM »
I wonder what Nintendo thought about this article though. Nintendo kinda has some relationship with him. Remember he revealed the DS back in May
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2005, 07:01:13 PM »

Originally posted by: joshnickerson
I was going to post a retort to Steven Kent's comments, but then I realized I didn't know who the hell Steven Kent was and I really didn't give a s*** about his opinion.

Steven Kent writes for Gamespot (i think), and USA Today (i think).  I know its a major publication.

I met him one time...really nerdy guy.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2005, 09:53:53 PM »
You guys think Nintendo is perfect don't you? You don't even understand the concept of money being needed to run a business.

Nintendo is failing, but keep denying it. You can cry when your only choice is PS5 and Xbox4 and Nintendo is a 3rd party developer.

Offline xts3

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2005, 10:27:07 PM »
Problem is Nintendo doesn't really understand their place in the Market.  They also refuse to get those system selling games back on their system.

Also they just dont have the money to bribe game developers for exclusives, so I really think they will have an uphill battle next generation with people like Bill gates waiting with a wad of cash to keep the best games exclusive to his consoles launch window.  Sony knows the exclusivity game too, whenever I read "Square, electronic arts." on the front of every Final fantasy game, you know why Nintendo lost.  Their library of games got sacked in a big way, while PS2 and Xbox are growing their game libraries Nintendo's still for the most part is small.

In short Nintendo is going to have to foot the bill, bribe or do whatever they can to get the games on their system if they ever hope to gain an outstanding library of games.

Offline xts3

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2005, 10:42:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
You guys think Nintendo is perfect don't you? You don't even understand the concept of money being needed to run a business.

Nintendo is failing, but keep denying it. You can cry when your only choice is PS5 and Xbox4 and Nintendo is a 3rd party developer.

Note that the Xbox isn't exactly doing stellar from a business standpoint, if it wasn't for Bills money Xbox would have died in a big way.   Not to mention Microsoft was going for the jugular when they bought out Rare, one of Nintendo's best developers.  Nintendo got killed because they lacked a huge game library and developer support.  Lacking in Fighting games, RPG's and Racing games, Where is burnout 3 for the GC?   Nintendo missed the point that they have to cover all the genres and on top of that have the killer apps as well.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2005, 11:42:46 PM »
Nintendo didn't need the massive bribes MS and Sony used. the real problem was getting them to keep their word. We all know the examples.

Exclusives that arn't exclusives. Does that "ONLY FOR" label count these days?. That is a problem that is going to bite the industry in the ass big time in the future. Increasingly unethical tactics like "Timed exclusives". It's either exclusive, or not. Especially if you and your mother know it is not exclusive.

If this is what America is bringing into the industry, count me out.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2005, 12:10:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus

Nintendo don't NEED to do anything, they're making a CRAP LOAD of money RIGHT NOW.

They're fine financially, and they're damn fine as a company who brings out great games I love to play.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2005, 12:49:12 AM »
Even though Nintendo is still pulling profit for those much forgotten stock holders in the industry, they are percieved as last place.  They are seen as last place to nonexistent even though they sell GBAs, SPs, and DSs as fast as they can make them.  They are seen as the losers in the console market while MS is seen as being successful with its one good game, record loses, and only one million unit lead world wide over Nintendo in the console market.  If Nintendo failed this gen in the console market then so did MS.  Entering next generation Sony's support is waining, MS's is growing, and everyone is looking to Nintendo who is being frighteningly quiet.  Nintendo does need to fix their PR problem, but I think they are on that.  Unfortunately they will have to work twice as hard on their image as MS spent this entire generation cementing its image for the long term plan of NextBox.  Nintendo is the only one that realizes that their is no long term until they make it long term.  The console market could fall apart due to simple lack of profit in only five to ten years.  The feeding frenzy we see these days is nothing more than people and corporations taking advantage of the industry to sell their soda, speakers, music, and operating systems.

Once MS and Sony commit virtual suicide releasing five hundred dollar super computers that have next next generation graphics along with present generation controllers the demographics will become more clear as Nintendo is seen as a gaming company for a type of gamer and not an age group.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2005, 01:41:59 AM »
The worst part is that this article is so poorly written and ill-thought.  I mean, reading negative press is one thing.  Reading negative press that looks like it was written for the IGN forums is another.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline majortom1981

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2005, 02:41:36 AM »
Nintendo has 2 major problems and really only these two

1. There marketing stinks. The reason why gta and games like that are selling well is because the commercials and the games are thrown if your face every day.
IF Nintendo got a better marketing strategy they will do a lot better. THats their main problem. Not the games and  not the system.

2. OTher companies not marketing their gamecube games. Of course a 3rd aprty game will do bad if you do not advertise for it.  IF ea or another company wont advertise it Nintendo should.

To Sum it up: The problem with Nintendo is their marketing. THats it Not Their hardware and not their software. I bet if you saw a commercial every day from now until the next loz release it will sell millions. Nintendo should start marketing it now. Like have weird vague commercials for it in movie theaters. Like a saying the darkness is comming . Then slowly build up from there.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2005, 03:42:10 AM »
GTA sells well because it's rated "M". If there were a big ol' "E" on the box, no one would give it a second look.

Oh yeah, right, Nintendo's failing, whatever you say. But last time I checked they were still pulling in solid profits. Which I've always understood is the OPPOSITE of failing. I don't care what place they're in anymore, as long as they keep making games, I couldn't be happier. Most Nintendo fans aren't DENYING anything, we just don't care about sales and that crap. It's the state of the industry today that leads you to believe that if a game doesn't sell a million copies on launch day, it's a collossal failure. That's just bulls***. Leave that to the business people to worry about. Let's just go back to playing games.

What really makes me mad is these a$$hat Xbox/PS2 fanboys that say they want Nintendo to die horribly and leave the console buisiness, but then in the same breath say they want Nintendo to develop games for THEIR system. So in reality, they're just jealous of the games we have. Of course, they're too stupid to realize that for the price of two really crappy Xbox games they could buy a Gamecube and play something GOOD.

Sorry for the nasty rant.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2005, 06:33:57 AM »
"Nintendo don't NEED to do anything, they're making a CRAP LOAD of money RIGHT NOW."

"Right now" is the key part of that sentence and the whole reason that Nintendo is in trouble.  Sure they make profit now but how can they in the future if every gen their market share shrinks?  If they sell less each time eventually the profit bubble is going to pop and Nintendo is going to be stuck in a money pit they can't get out of it.

Let say your selling a product.  The first year you sell 100 products and make a profit.  And then next year you sell 50, and then 25, 12, 6, 3, 1.  Eventually at some point you can't make a profit if you sell too few products.  That's Nintendo.  Every generation a huge chunk of their userbase jumps ship to some other console and they don't get too many new ones to replace them.  That's a sinking ship.  It's like a sheer fluke they can make a profit with that sort of negative consumer relationship.  Eventually even the most hardcore fan is going to get sick of the same crappy scenario and is going to bail.  Nintendo's market share doesn't necessarily need to grow but it at least needs to stabalize.

Thinking entirely in the present is exactly Nintendo's problem.  Not looking towards the future is why the N64 used cartridges.  Nintendo didn't realize that decisions based on the market in 1994 didn't apply in 1995.  Thinking in the present is why the Cube is offline because in 2001 it didn't make a difference but it does make a difference in 2005 and will make an even bigger one around 2008.  

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2005, 07:56:05 AM »
Once the PSP rolls in, Nintendo will make less money. Their market share shrinks and eventually they will make even less money. The whole point of making changes now, is to not loose market share but gain it, so in the future they can continue to be succesfull...  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2005, 12:54:29 PM »

Oh yeah, right, Nintendo's failing, whatever you say. But last time I checked they were still pulling in solid profits.

Honestly, who gives a sh!t?  I certainly don't get a piece of the profits.  Sure, it's nice to see Nintendo will be around a long time.  But the way they're going, they'll be languishing in last , at least in the U.S., for a long time.  The reality is I no longer care about their profits.  Third parties don't care either.  And that's the problem.  I now own my GC just for Nintendo games.  I shouldn't have to buy another console for everything else.  And that's the route their headed.  If you're fine with toeing the company line of "Nintendo makes the most money and I if they have to Americanize then I'm out", more power to you.  But that is a poor business move.  Americanize doesn't mean give up what they do.  It means expand into other genres.  Hell, Nintendo doesn't need to do this themselves.  I said this many times , and it's true.  They can act just as Disney acts.  Portray the clean image and let their other studios do the dirty work.  And it's a rather easy transformation.   What's so bad about that?

"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2005, 01:12:03 PM »
Y'know, Nintendo is making changes.  They are, for the most part, addressing these issues.  But most people expect the change to take place now, rather than the future, which is pretty backwards logic, since that's what you're accusing Nintendo of (thinking of now and not the future).  They are improving, but it's not going to be resolved come tomorrow.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2005, 01:59:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Deguello
The worst part is that this article is so poorly written and ill-thought.  I mean, reading negative press is one thing.  Reading negative press that looks like it was written for the IGN forums is another.

Deguello:  The article posted on forums and the one that Kent actually wrote are not the same.  Since you can't copy/paste from PDF, some dimwit loosely transcribed the original article.  The content is practically the same, but the tone is miles apart.  Kent's real article is polished, lucid, and less alarmist.  Compare paragraph #3:

Forum Version:
As Microsoft entered the console wars, a lot of people asked, “Can
the market support three competitors?” The answer seems to be,
“Yes, but the guy who comes in last always dies.”

PDF Version:
When Microsoft entered the videogame hardware fray with XBox, the wheels of fate began to turn. History says the market will support three consoles for a while, but the company that sells the least amount of units eventually faces radical change.

The PDF version can be found at www.vgtm.com.  If you didn't like the ideas behind the article posted here, you probably won't like the ideas in Kent's real article either, although he does illuminate and explain certain points better.  But at least his real article doesn't come across like it was written by an elementary school kid.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2005, 04:37:50 PM »

Y'know, Nintendo is making changes. They are, for the most part, addressing these issues. But most people expect the change to take place now, rather than the future, which is pretty backwards logic, since that's what you're accusing Nintendo of (thinking of now and not the future). They are improving, but it's not going to be resolved come tomorrow.

I do believe they're trying, but I'm not so sure they know exactly what they're trying for.   The Revolution can change their image in one hot minute.  Especially here in the U.S.  If they make it APPEAR to be the coolest thing ever, and have the games, it'll fly off shelves.  I don't think they're in such bad shape that the casual fan will ignore a great system just because it's Nintendo.  In fact, I think despite what a lot of people say, deep down they really like Nintendo, but it's just not the cool choice anymore.  However, if they F it up this gen, I'll have a real hard time believing they'll ever 'get' it..
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2005, 06:26:24 AM »

If you're fine with toeing the company line of "Nintendo makes the most money and I if they have to Americanize then I'm out", more power to you. But that is a poor business move. Americanize doesn't mean give up what they do. It means expand into other genres. Hell, Nintendo doesn't need to do this themselves. I said this many times , and it's true. They can act just as Disney acts. Portray the clean image and let their other studios do the dirty work. And it's a rather easy transformation. What's so bad about that?

I agree with this. Let NOA or some other American company with no Nintend- in their name make sports games and FPSs for ya'. Make 'em great too. As much as people like Halo and Madden, it doesn't seem like they would be hard to top. There are plenty of developers who would love to make 'em too, and in the end, people will buy a console for a great Football game or shooter or for GTA. That's just kinda the facts in the modern market. They need to market the Revolution as having the best graphics and being the most powerful thing ever too. Who cares if its 'true'. It hasn't been true for anyone else who's said it. That's what marketing is all about. I think Reggie is gonna be pretty good at that though.

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2005, 06:10:42 AM »
When he says 'Americanize', he doesn't mean drop development of 'Japanese' games and make solely FPSs and shoot-em-ups, only that they need to make more 'American' games like Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2005, 06:26:45 AM »
because metroid and eternal darkness sold so well. if they want more sales they should make blood and boobies games.   americanizing is bad.

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2005, 08:15:51 AM »
Goldeneye did.  

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2005, 08:47:45 AM »
I for one don't agree with that, Nintendo is, has been and probably always will be my favourite video game company. The Gamecube is all I ever play right now, I even have two and my Playstaion 2 and Xbox are sitting in my basement collecting dust.