Author Topic: Ask & receive: Nintendo advertises Shop Channel on TV  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
Ask & receive: Nintendo advertises Shop Channel on TV
« on: January 21, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
I have to admit, I didn't see this coming so soon.

Not long ago (by which I mean 2 days ago), an article published on GamesIndustry.biz cited a number of WiiWare developers who were calling for Nintendo to put more into promoting WiiWare to customers. Analysts estimate the proportion of users going online on Wii is just around 20%.

What a coincidence. It was just this evening I saw the new advert.

I was unable to find it on YouTube, as it is a fairly recent advert, but any forum readers in the UK will probably see this soon. Basically, it was an actor explaining how his 'family' uses the Wii online (and this was on Sky 1 by the way, which is the main channel of the biggest UK-based pay TV provider) while a montage of all these activities plays over the narration.
Firstly, he plugs Guitar Hero and Band Hero, whilst describing how he buys and downloads new songs to play. Next, he demonstrates the BBC iPlayer on Wii. Finally, he shows off what WiiWare is on the Wii Shop Channel menu, and surprisingly, he then advertises Bonsai Barber!. At the end of the advert, it displays a link to the Nintendo website. I checked and it's now got a new video showing everything off in more detail.

Obviously, we're all thinking "Finally" and yeah, this kind of exposure took longer than it should have to begin, but leaving all that to one side for a moment, I have to say this is perfect. This is exactly what WiiWare needs. It'll be a while before we can tell if there is any significant increase in the amount of people connecting to the internet on Wii, but I reckon this could spur a great uptake to it. Bravo, Nintendo UK's marketing team, bravo.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:47:57 AM by Killer_Man_Jaro »
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Ask & receive: Nintendo advertises Shop Channel on TV
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 05:11:35 AM »
Well it's about time!

Actually, NOJ has been pretty gungho about getting Wii users in that market to go online. They have help lines and free wii point giveaways and even a wii themed one-button router just for it!

I mean,  Nintendo home company is actually EXTREMELY aggressive on so many Wii blue ocean related issues, it's just that we rarely see NOA or NOE follow their lead. It's almost like the further one gets from Iwata, the less proactive they become.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 05:15:22 AM »
I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for anything Nintendo in here in Australia.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:16:15 AM »
Apparently, Nintendo's advertising is pretty gung-ho in Korea.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 05:44:27 AM »
They've got the connection helper stuff here too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:32:58 AM »
i just hooked someones Wii up online.
Do I get something special now?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »
Do they have connection helpers where you live? I think there's a news post on the front page of the shop channel that describes what to do, your reward would be 500 points (connect ten Wiis to receive ALL Nintendo NES games for free, connect 20 to get ALL NES, SNES and N64 games for free, both first and third party).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:01:59 PM »
I've hooked up 2 Wiis that aren't mine so far.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »
Nintendo needs to stop advertising for World of Goo and start pushing other WiiWare games. The game isn't THAT good.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »
Do they have connection helpers where you live? I think there's a news post on the front page of the shop channel that describes what to do, your reward would be 500 points (connect ten Wiis to receive ALL Nintendo NES games for free, connect 20 to get ALL NES, SNES and N64 games for free, both first and third party).
As far as I know there isn't a program like that in the states. Nintendo started this program in Japan with the DSi. Later Europe got the program I think 2 months back. America doesn't have the program yet. I showed 3 people online how do do it.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.