Author Topic: Official SSBB SmashDate Discussion  (Read 464148 times)

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - SNAPSHOTS!
« Reply #1725 on: October 14, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »
This stage looks really great, and I'm happy whenever there is a mother update.

This probably confirms that Pokey will make an appearance in Brawl.

I just realized you can see him holding baloons, I must have really bad eyesight.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - SNAPSHOTS!
« Reply #1726 on: October 14, 2007, 08:42:16 PM »
It's the new temple stage! Zoinks!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - SNAPSHOTS!
« Reply #1727 on: October 14, 2007, 09:25:06 PM »
Yes?  YES!?  YES!  YES, YES, YES!

The first really big stage is a Mother stage, what a massive turn-on...Holy crap...

Edit: If no one minds being spoiled, you can find the original designs for New Pork City and the Ultimate Chimera here...They did a great job on both!  (Oh, and also the Rope Snake that Lucas is using in that previous screen...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
I am glad that SSB:B is having such a huge variety in stages, one reason why I loved PS2 so much was the ever changing stages, it was crazy fun and it looks like Brawl is going to have a few of them!  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I'm back to my original worry.  With Ness's old stage you fought on the road,the awning, and roofs.  This one is thankfully a larger stage BUT we are still fighting in front of a back drop.  Which is becoming far to common with these stages for my liking.  Why am I not duking it out in the city itself?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
This stage doesn't replace the temple unless it has "The Cave of Invincibility" somewhere in it.

You know, the area you just cannot be smashed directly out of and need to be ricocheted.

And they better not give Pokey a spot in Brawl...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
"Why am I not duking it out in the city itself?"

For a larger stage, it most certainly makes more sense for it to work like this so people can fall through pits in the middle of the stage...That way you avoid the problem that Hyrule Temple had with it being really hard to knock off your opponent...

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
This stage doesn't replace the temple unless it has "The Cave of Invincibility" somewhere in it.

You know, the area you just cannot be smashed directly out of and need to be ricocheted.

And they better not give Pokey a spot in Brawl...

I wouldn't worry about Pokey being a character in Brawl.  I can see him making an appearance in the Subspace Emissary but not a playable character.

This is small speculation but in Mother 3 you could shut off the Ultimate Chimera, you can see the switch in one of the pictures (The bird turns him back on again) so you should be able to do it in Brawl.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Ceric
I'm back to my original worry.  With Ness's old stage you fought on the road,the awning, and roofs.  This one is thankfully a larger stage BUT we are still fighting in front of a back drop.  Which is becoming far to common with these stages for my liking.  Why am I not duking it out in the city itself?

Super Smash Bros is 2D

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Mario

Originally posted by: Ceric

Super Smash Bros is 2D

Well, compare this to the temple stage in Melee. In that stage, yes, the majority of the temple was in the background, but the parts you fought on were still parts of the temple. Here, if you look at the screenshots, the upper platforms are all little floating rectangles.  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
While I'm all for the moving stages, I still like the "boring" stages where nothing changes.

Pokey should most definitely be a boss, if not a playable character. If we're talking Mother 3, his boss battle should involve the Absolutely Safe Machine somehow.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
I think this stage is so busy that some people might mistake the buildings for platforms.

Has this been confirmed to be a moving level like "Rumble falls"?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
Nope, Sakurai's comparison to Hyrule Temple pretty much confirms it's just a really cool, huge stage...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
"Why am I not duking it out in the city itself?"

For a larger stage, it most certainly makes more sense for it to work like this so people can fall through pits in the middle of the stage...That way you avoid the problem that Hyrule Temple had with it being really hard to knock off your opponent...

This stage I'll give because of its sheer size.  Back to what was mentioned before, we're still on nebulous platforms.  Though I hope we could possible get a cool stage where we are fighting on a traffic jam of flying cars or between ships in an air battle.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
I'm pretty confident that Big Blue will be remade in some form...I mean, there really aren't too many ways to design an F-Zero stage!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I'm pretty confident that Big Blue will be remade in some form...I mean, there really aren't too many ways to design an F-Zero stage!

I want to fight in the bar from the F-Zero GX cutscenes, with various racers sitting at the bar and the Bio Rex passed out drunk in the corner.

Or the Phantom Road would do nicely as well...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
I think they'll just re-use the same layout from Melee. After all, they have done it with the Metroid stages for the last 2 games. Hell, they already did it. They just called it "Delfino Plaza".
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Homerun contest update...Most importantly, co-op play and ONLINE PLAY!

I never thought Homerun contest would be good enough to make it online! The team's going all out!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
Man I never even thought about Homrun contest being online.

Good stuff! =)

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
Is there no end?

God's wounds... stab me, Sakurai; stab me through the heart.

I'm also blaming online for the delay. I hope you're all satisfied. "But PaLaDiN, if they add an utterly useless online mode nobody loses out!"
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - PWANG! It's a HOME RUN!
« Reply #1745 on: October 16, 2007, 01:57:11 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN

I'm also blaming online for the delay. I hope you're all satisfied. "But PaLaDiN, if they add an utterly useless online mode nobody loses out!"

Lol, at least your consisten Paladin.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
RE: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - PWANG! It's a HOME RUN!
« Reply #1746 on: October 16, 2007, 02:17:01 AM »
You know what, I bet it is online that is causing the delay, but not something like the online in the homerun contest.  This online mode looks like it was planned for awhile.  They probably want to fix the online mode in multiplayer so there is no lag or as little as possible, and I am all for that.  Delay it until it is right.  Make the absolute best game you can.

I personally love this that the homerun contest is online and co-op and competition.  They seem to be fleshing everything out that was in melee plus adding other features.  Maybe they'll have online co-op and competition challenges as well instead of the single player ones they had in melee.  That would be whole lots of fun.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: October 16, 2007, 02:36:05 AM »
To paraphrase Miyamoto, an all-time great game is all-time great forever, if you delay it it can eventually become literally perfect.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
RE:Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - PWANG! It's a HOME RUN!
« Reply #1748 on: October 16, 2007, 02:37:05 AM »
Personally if I was the developer very early I would want to have a proof of concept for the online modes that are being proposed but, I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of doing a full implementation with all the variables.  I want something controlled say like the Home Run Contest.  I lot of the major things are in it but it doesn't have things like a swarm of items.  OOnce I learned from that I probably start back from scratch implementing it for everything else.

Now what gets me on this update is that they put STADIUM: Home Run Contest as the Title.  Which indicates that Home Run Contest is really a sub-title if that is the case I wonder what else they have cooked up.  Maybe even a full rivalry with Mario and Sonic Olympics...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: October 16, 2007, 03:53:12 AM »
Home-Run Contest isn't my favorite mini-game in Smash Brothers, but more options is by no means a bad thing...Still waiting for Break the Targets and the return of Board the Platforms...