Author Topic: Official SSBB SmashDate Discussion  (Read 464064 times)

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion
« Reply #1225 on: October 02, 2007, 01:22:38 AM »

Originally posted by: darkheart
Another interesting note, in the first video where Snake appears and says "Kept you waiting Huh?" looks like an intro to me, intros confirmed?  I guess it could be his taunt?

Looks like an intro specific to the situation of finally meeting up with Mario, as if it's one of the final battles in Snake's "adventure" mode.  I'm guessing that's when the per character info comes up too.... ie fight samus, win.  Then small cut scene with a miss of a FSA and ZSS... conversation with your team and then back to match structure against ZSS.

Yoshi is also taunting when the spotlight hits him for a hilarious shot.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion
« Reply #1226 on: October 02, 2007, 01:26:53 AM »
Actually, A Metal Gear *could* still be Snake's final smash.  It is hinted that another Metal Gear will show up that is supposedly new.  What if this "new" one is custom created for Smash to be something usable as a final smash.

Sakurai was hinting at it, but didn't want to reveal it yet.  I think that is very possible.

The talk with about Zero Suit Samus is so funny, and crazy suggestive for a Nintendo game.  I love it so much.  But, the Wario farting bit is even better.  

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: October 02, 2007, 01:29:46 AM »
Pictures same kind of voice conversation if Sonic by some miracle makes it in.... Remembers Sonic+Voice+"Team" :shutters:

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: October 02, 2007, 03:10:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
DAMMIT!

Now there NEEDS to be a MGS game on the Wii.

This is the best advertising for MGS to Nintendo fans, EVER...

Its also the best advertising of Nintendo to MGS fans, EVER.

Metal Gear won't be coming out for awhile and the fans will take notice of Snake's newest adventure.  It will even make them curious of the other characters he is fighting with, after all they had the ps2 last generation and will want to check them out.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: October 02, 2007, 04:01:36 AM »

DAMMIT!

Best advertising ever for PS3, now fans will get even more excited for the PS3 game and skip over Smash Brothers to get it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1230 on: October 02, 2007, 04:39:39 AM »
I have a feeling that little bit in the first trailer is from the Subspace Emissary, but it could easily be an intro. Also, lol.  
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: October 02, 2007, 04:55:47 AM »
So, new gameplay tidbits from the video:

• Snake hits a remote control and something explodes.  Is it the charge he can bury?  The move that plants a mine in the ground is apparently a smash attack, based on Sakurai's description, not a special move, but it could still be related.
  • Snake's box is an item that other characters can pick up and throw.  Is it summoned by a move of Snake's, or is it a regular item?
  • Snake really can snap necks.  It looks like it knocks someone out for a while.  Is it a throw or a special?
  • Wario can eat projectiles.  My guess is this speeds up the recharging of the Wario Waft.  It's probably his standard B move.

• Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1232 on: October 02, 2007, 05:13:45 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

DAMMIT!

Best advertising ever for PS3, now fans will get even more excited for the PS3 game and skip over Smash Brothers to get it.

That doesn't make any sense at all.  If it promotes anything it promotes MGS fans to buy Smash Bros so they can play the new game Snake is in as well as see things first like the new Metal Gear that will be in the new MGS as well as SSBB (heavily hinted by Sakurai).  The only people it even targets as a ps3 ad are those who already own a Wii.  Even without a MGS game this is a win for Nintendo.  If they release one for Wii I expect a Triplet Snakes, the original Gamecube (I never played it)plus the last one on PS3.  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • Score: 138
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1233 on: October 02, 2007, 07:01:17 AM »

If they release one for Wii I expect a Triplet Snakes, the original Gamecube (I never played it)plus the last one on PS3.

Triplet Snakes? God help us if they ever release a game called that... and we'd probably get stuck with Doc Ock's half brother, Solidus Snake.

Maybe the hinted new Metal Gear model is from a brand new Wii exclusive Metal Gear title. Hahahahahaha, yeah, that'll happen.......

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1234 on: October 02, 2007, 07:12:06 AM »
    There could be a MGS spin-off coming to the Wii. They made one for the PSP

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1235 on: October 02, 2007, 07:26:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
    Maybe the hinted new Metal Gear model is from a brand new Wii exclusive Metal Gear title. Hahahahahaha, yeah, that'll happen.......

Metal Gear Ray

And I'd definitely take a spinoff game for the Wii.
    "OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
    • Score: 25
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #1236 on: October 02, 2007, 07:34:54 AM »
    After seeing the videos, Nintendo is treating Snake as more than a guest character. He basically has his near complete universe in the game, complete with original voice overs, dialogue, stage and a trailer showcasing his involvement in the series. This is 100 times more than he got in World Fighters Dream Mix TV!

Will other third party characters get this type of treatment? If the Metal Gear in SSB trailer was awesome, imagine how insane a Sonic and Mario rivalry trailer would be.

In fact, here's how I see it:
    Mario is running around in one of the stages. Then a blue blur runs through him and stops, revealing to be Sonic. Then the two size each other other (complete with cool camera angles) and start the Brawl. Then the trailer shows off Sonic and his moves and ends with "Only one shall emerge victorious" (or something cool like that).

With the MGS trailer and videos they have the fanbase hooked. They will catch MILLIONS if they make a big "Mario vs. Sonic" promo.
    Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
    • Score: 74
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1237 on: October 02, 2007, 07:50:27 AM »
    Absolute fantastic update! Any Metal Gear or Nintendo fan should be able to enjoy that, and if you can't then man what a barnicle head you must be!

Ok so does this confirm that the shields are back? The ones for blocking I mean. I havn't noticed them until now. At least thats what it appears to be when I see Mario and Snake fighting. Or did you all come to a conclusion about this long ago, and im once again late to the party?  
    Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1238 on: October 02, 2007, 08:03:25 AM »
    Metal Gear REX, Metal Gear RAY, and one more? My money's on Metal Gear R.O.B., if you know what I mean...

I also hope that if they do give Sonic voice acting, they go all the way and get Jaleel White  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • Score: 138
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1239 on: October 02, 2007, 08:04:31 AM »

Metal Gear Ray

And I'd definitely take a spinoff game for the Wii.

Ugh, you fight like 20 Metal Gear Rays in Metal Gear Solid 2.....

I'd take a spin-off game too, granted they take it seriously and not add card battles or anything. I'm just saying that the likelihood of that happening, given Konami's recent track record on Nintendo hardware especially concerning M rated titles, is almost non-existent. Love to be proven wrong though I won't hold my breath.

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
    • Score: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1240 on: October 02, 2007, 08:08:23 AM »

Originally posted by: Caterkiller
    Absolute fantastic update! Any Metal Gear or Nintendo fan should be able to enjoy that, and if you can't then man what a barnicle head you must be!

Ok so does this confirm that the shields are back? The ones for blocking I mean. I havn't noticed them until now. At least thats what it appears to be when I see Mario and Snake fighting. Or did you all come to a conclusion about this long ago, and im once again late to the party?

This was confirmed a little while ago when they showed Snake's Special Moves

This is called a Nikita. It’s a remote-controlled missile.
    You can control the missile yourself! But since Snake is so focused on controlling the missile, he’s completely defenseless while he does so.
    If things get dangerous, press the shield button to stop controlling the missile.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1241 on: October 02, 2007, 08:26:31 AM »
    Snake is fitting in better than I thought he would. That stage looks really cool.
    <BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1242 on: October 02, 2007, 09:51:34 AM »
    Since it looks like Snake has a different codec for each character, this should make for some interesting conversations.

Can't wait to hear his comments on Mr. Game and Watch, or better yet, Sheik.

Snake: Did Zelda just turn into a man!?
    I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1243 on: October 02, 2007, 11:14:43 AM »
    There was an epic thread on /v/ full of codec conversations for different characters. It was hilarious. I'll link to the archived thread once it goes up.

Also, is anyone else surprised by the content of the codec conversations? I mean...

"Mei Ling, Samus took her clothes off!"
    "She's gotten a lot more... Agile."
    "I bet if I took off this heavy gear, I could catch her."
    "Her loss."

"It lays eggs and throws them right? So it must be a girl."
    "Actually it's a he..."

Sexual innuendo and gender confusion? In MY Smash Bros?
    "You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
    -Travis Touchdown

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
    « Reply #1244 on: October 02, 2007, 11:44:48 AM »
    Yeah, it's actually pretty cool to see some commentary that is in-universe yet also shows an "outsider's perspective." It's pretty amusing.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1245 on: October 02, 2007, 12:01:53 PM »

Snake really can snap necks. It looks like it knocks someone out for a while. Is it a throw or a special?
    I've never liked that part of his moveset. It's a bit too realistic compared to the lighthearted, cartoony violence in Smash Bros.

Also, is anyone else surprised by the content of the codec conversations? I mean...

"Her loss."
    Wait, where are these?
    "I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
    ---------------------------------------------
    "If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
    ----------------------------
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1246 on: October 02, 2007, 12:25:34 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

Snake really can snap necks. It looks like it knocks someone out for a while. Is it a throw or a special?
    I've never liked that part of his moveset. It's a bit too realistic compared to the lighthearted, cartoony violence in Smash Bros.

I thought that too from from the initial pictures, but in motion I think the move looks different; it now just looks like Snake's "disabling" somebody, which is probably enough to get past the ESRB.

Sidenote: I could be wrong, but it sounded from the video like they've finally rerecorded Mario's voice clips, which would be good since they're going on a decade old at this point.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • Score: 34
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1247 on: October 02, 2007, 12:36:32 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

"Her loss."
    Wait, where are these?

In the Samus clip at the bottom of the the Shadow Moses update... =)
    ~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1248 on: October 02, 2007, 01:08:57 PM »
    Whoa... wait a second! They didn't release this on the UK & Ireland update.. I usually check that version of the site (Canadian spelling FTW) so I didn't see the last few videos until now.

I wonder why they didn't include them.
    "I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
    ---------------------------------------------
    "If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
    ----------------------------
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
    « Reply #1249 on: October 02, 2007, 01:30:34 PM »
    Isn't that twice that Snake/Metal Gear stuff has gotten a TRIPLE update?

Not that I'm complaining.  I'm just wondering.  It's like, the only known third-party character so far from a series that hasn't had its latest games on a Nintendo series, and one of the two series that anybody at all cares about a PS3 for, gets mega-attention on those particular days.