Author Topic: USendMii -- tool to control (some) PC games with Wii U Gamepad  (Read 4340 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/UsendMii

Spent a few hours toying with this thing.

Implementation is actually pretty ingenious -- program acts as a local web-server and hosts webpage that intercepts all buttons presses and stick movements (and some limited touch functionality) into key presses on PC.

Key presses should be quite enough for some emulators but with more modern games you're gonna need actual controller functionality.

If you combine it with vJoy you can emulate an actual controller. That requires quite a lot of time to set it up.

I made DMC4SE work after some tuning, but not Super Meat Boy because it requires for xbox 360 compatible controller which vJoy is not.

So i set up x360ce (which is probably a bigger hassle than other tools combined) and it kinda worked even if that was quite ridiculous: my button presses and analog movements went through USendMii to vJoy then to x360ce then to the actual game.

Eventually i made it work for Super Meat Boy, but at this point it would have been easier to just emulate keyboard button presses.

Since you're not actually connecting Gamepad to your PC -- it's a workaround using web-browser so actual console needs to be on as well.

And it's quite limited too because some buttons in your web-browser actually do some stuff, like B goes back to previous page and Y does something too. Author uses rubber band to keep ZL and ZR pressed at all times to put browser into scrolling mode where none of the buttons work and that stupid workaround works well, but it's so stupid and obviously makes triggers unusable.

And finally there is some lag too. It's in tenth of seconds but it was noticeable in SMB.

Playing Devil May Cry 4 and Super Meat Boy with a gamepad was quite an experience though.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: USendMii -- tool to control (some) PC games with Wii U Gamepad
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 10:00:35 PM »
That's pretty cool I'll have to give it a try. I would imagine this will get ported to Android, etc.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:02:35 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: USendMii -- tool to control (some) PC games with Wii U Gamepad
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:54:34 AM »
I think i found an ideal use for this tool.

God Hand is a game which requires to constantly switch between face buttons (attacks) and right stick (dodging). Wii U gamepad is unique in a sense beause right stick is situated very close to face button making switch between them very fast. I recorded some footage:

http://webm.host/ff69f/

Using usendmii also fits because God Hand is relatively slow and doesn't involve pressing and holding a lot of buttons at once.

If you have wii u and PC (and have wireless network at home, but most have right?) this is an interesting way to play controller based games without buying any additional hardware like dongles and stuff.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks