Author Topic: Something New from the Big N  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Something New from the Big N
« on: April 11, 2003, 12:42:58 PM »
I was just thinking about this today. I still love my games from Nintendo. They are well designed, well thought out, and great to play through but I'm longing for something new. With the exception of Metroid Prime, I bought Mario Sunshine and Zelda more out of habit than out of a dire need to have them. I don't regret my purchases but I want something completely new and from Nintendo. Any word on these new franchises that are to be at E3? Is there just gonna be one or a couple. I liked ED, Metroid is a great game as well but I want something all new from Nintendo. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way but with Mario and Zelda is the same general story each game. I play through for the experience but I want to be surprised. I have a PS2 but it basically gathers dust. I mainly have it for my RPG fix. The GC is my main system and there is something I can get from Nintendo games that I can't get elsewhere...especially with the way Sega has gone as of late. Sorry about the Dennis Miller style rant but any word on the new franchises at all what type of games they will be, the type of genres, any possible new genres?

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 12:44:52 PM »
I asked Miyamoto the very same thing at DICE.  As usual, he told us to wait for E3.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Perfect Cell

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 01:05:39 PM »
Kid Icarus!!!

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 03:54:17 PM »
Animal Crossing and Pikmin are two new franchises for Nintendo since the GC has been released.  

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 04:19:49 PM »
as long as nintendo announces a new earthbound game for the gamecube by e3 i will be very very pleased
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 04:49:11 PM »
Usually new games appear at the beginning and end of a system life. At the end of the n64 life, there were a bunch of new games. Many people didn't get to play this games (like Animal Crossing) because the n64 was dead. People expect Mario and Zelda to be on the GameCube so they have to develop them first. Not that their out of the way, Nintendo can focus on the new games.

Offline greenwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2003, 08:05:59 PM »
What I think they should do is release Fire Embelm, Cube Wars, and Earthbound. That'd be sweet.
Regarding people wanting "new" franchises. There's always going to be people saying, "I want something new" but if/when Nintendo does make these new franchises there'll be people saying, "I want a new Mario/Zelda/Metroid".
See, there's two sides to this. Nintendo didn't have a Mario game at launch and now you see people calling that a dumb move. But if they did have Mario at launch people would have complained about wanting new franchises. There's always going to be people complaining no matter what Nintendo (or any other company) does.  

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2003, 12:56:20 PM »
Nintendo's also putting out Mario and Zelda early in the GCN's life to attract people to the console.  Than Nintendo will begin to develop the original franchises such as Giftpia.  They already started with Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, and Animal Crossing, all fantastic titles.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2003, 01:06:43 PM »
Miyamoto-sama once lamented this, as he was pretty much required by the fan base to make new sequels to the popular old ones, and couldn't focus on the new ideas he had in mind.  Still, I am very pleased with what he has brought us so far.

Luigi's Mansion - Old characters, but radically new gameplay.
Zelda: Wind Waker - Old franchise, and old graphical style, but a new "feel" to the game.
Pikmin -  First of it's kind
Animal Crossing - Much too addictive for its own good...

Super Mario Sunshine was classic.  Nothing new, but the rehash was near perfect IMHO.

In the next year I am sure we will be seeing more stuff from Miyamoto-sama that will be giving gamers everywhere whiplash.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2003, 01:11:32 PM »
"Zelda: Wind Waker - Old franchise, and old graphical style, but a new "feel" to the game."

Tell me, what past Zelda game has used Wind Waker's exact style? DON'T tell me Link to the Past because you're wrong- yes, it was cartoony, but if you're even thinking about telling me it's the same cartoon style as Wind Waker, you need to have your eyes checked.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline FrameShift

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2003, 02:58:58 PM »
He said same style with a new feel. ALTTP and TWW have very, very similar styles. Looking at the colors, it's obvious that Nintendo went for a similar look. But the move of that style to a 3D engine made it new again. He's right.

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2003, 03:16:03 PM »
Yes, Animal Crossing and Pikmin were new franchises, but they weren't good enough. I know a lot of people that stopped playing Animal Crossing and Pikmin was short and not that good at all. and neither of them sold THAT well. Nintendo needs a HUGE game, like Pokemon was at first. (Well, and still is now, at least in Japan) They also need to release some damn Fire Emblem games here.

Offline Riotamus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2003, 04:43:54 PM »
Having owned a dreamcast before i bought my beloved GC, i thought that Shenmue was the most original but linear and underappreciated game ever, now that the almighty SEGA seem to be releasing the more original games for the big N i would love to see a more polished Shenmue-ish game, i recall there being a bruce lee game on another system (irony), the ideas are there, but the gloss just aint (YET).

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2003, 05:44:08 PM »

Originally posted by: FrameShift
He said same style with a new feel. ALTTP and TWW have very, very similar styles. Looking at the colors, it's obvious that Nintendo went for a similar look. But the move of that style to a 3D engine made it new again. He's right.

Thank you.  That's what I was saying.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2003, 05:45:35 PM »
pikmin was great, I agree a bit short though.
pikmin 2 is high up on my must have list.
I think it's the only strategy game I own for the cube so far...

Offline AJL221893

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2003, 03:43:13 PM »
Has anyone tried this yet? I think a 2d side scroller online game would be awesome. Imagine a classic mario game, and how fun it was playing with 2 people. Remember the versus mode? That would be so cool to have a stage that is really huge,(like 10 times the size of the old game), and there would be like 10 players running around and fighting. And then, besides multiplayer, you'd do the main game. It would be awesome for there to be a co-op mario game. One person with the raccoon suit, the other with a frog suit, you could use each other to get farther...
Some people probably don't like that idea, but i'd love a 2d side scroller adventure online co-op game.
That idea could be done without the online aspect, and would probably better with the co-op version not online, but I really want to go online with the cube, so any game online right now I'd buy for it, as long as it doesn't have a monthly charge.
Animal Crossing info:
Name: (space)Adam
Town: Animtown

Do YOU want a cookie?

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2003, 03:52:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Zelda
Yes, Animal Crossing and Pikmin were new franchises, but they weren't good enough. I know a lot of people that stopped playing Animal Crossing and Pikmin was short and not that good at all. and neither of them sold THAT well. Nintendo needs a HUGE game, like Pokemon was at first. (Well, and still is now, at least in Japan) They also need to release some damn Fire Emblem games here.

Pikmin didn't sold that well?  It's a Player's Choice title.

Animal Crossing didn't sold that well?  Nintendo released a statement saying they were ecstatic at its sales.  It sold over 100,000 copies, WAY more than expected originally.

A HUGE game like Pokemon?  Try creating one.  It's a very hard feat.  Maybe Nintendo can do it, but currently, I don't think Giftpia can do it.
I got some killaz on my payroll.