Author Topic: Reggie dropping a bomb at VGX Awards, what could it be?  (Read 52511 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Reggie dropping a bomb at VGX Awards, what could it be?
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »
I think its time Nintendo changed leadership.  Reggie is not a rockstar anymore…and his decisions in leading NOA have been horrible.  He single handedly allowed the Nintendo Wii draught to occur when there were 4 exclusive Wii games that he could have prepared for North America.

Let's change leadership PLEASE.

I agree IF NOA is making those decisions.  I don't think they get a lot of independence from NCL so for every boneheaded decision it can be hard to pinpoint who is exactly responsible.  Now I don't like Iwata either so I'm cool with heads rolling on either side of the pond.

Until Reggie came along I was never worried about NOA not localizing games.  It happened from time to time but it wasn't so common that it affected my expectations.  Now it's like a cool game gets shown in a Nintendo Direct and if it isn't something big like Mario I think to myself "will we get it over here?"  I certainly never used to envy Nintendo of Europe!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »
How much power does Reggie really have though,

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2013, 06:05:41 PM »
He needs to fight and arfue for games then.  How did Europe get those games????  Does NCL have more faith in the European markets???  Does NCL give NOE more power???  NOA is over possible the largest video game market NCL should give NOA more control.  And if Reggie won't fight for it...he should be leading. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
Until Reggie came along I was never worried about NOA not localizing games.

This is wholly unfair that is either completely ignoring how things have changed or is completely ignorant of them.  NoA has failed to localize a TON of games over the years.

You never worried about it because YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT THEM. The internet/news/nature of the industry has changed so much since Reggie took over.  Before him, your main source of Nintendo news was Nintendo Power and your playground friend who has an uncle that works at Nintendo.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go not play some Devil World and Famicom Detective now.

He needs to fight and arfue for games then.  How did Europe get those games????  Does NCL have more faith in the European markets???  Does NCL give NOE more power???  NOA is over possible the largest video game market NCL should give NOA more control.  And if Reggie won't fight for it...he should be leading. 

...and they sold like crap over there.  So, yeah, four more games that no one would have given two craps about could have been released.  Yay.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 11, 2013, 10:38:17 PM »
Speaking of these niche games that never get released oversees, I wish they would at least translate them and put them on the Eshop so those that want it can download it and they don't have to worry about physically making the disks, distribution, and stock not selling through. 

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2013, 11:17:44 PM »
Even mario has had issues getting released overseas, lost levels hello

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »
Even mario has had issues getting released overseas, lost levels hello

But young american kids of the eighties didn't have the dedication and mental fortitude to accept the challenge that was The Lost Levels like young Japanese kids. That's just the way things were back then.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2013, 11:33:43 PM »

This is wholly unfair that is either completely ignoring how things have changed or is completely ignorant of them.  NoA has failed to localize a TON of games over the years.

You never worried about it because YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT THEM. The internet/news/nature of the industry has changed so much since Reggie took over.  Before him, your main source of Nintendo news was Nintendo Power and your playground friend who has an uncle that works at Nintendo.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go not play some Devil World and Famicom Detective now.

...and they sold like crap over there.  So, yeah, four more games that no one would have given two craps about could have been released.  Yay.
+1

Nintendo of America under Reggie brought over games that people flat-out ignored like Elite Beat Agents. It's these people's job to decide what games are worth bringing over. Some are easy choices like Zelda; some are not like Pandora's Tower. Those Operation Rainfall games didn't sell that great (merely better due to notoriety), kind of proving that Nintendo of America was right about them.

And I still think it's really fucked up to wish someone lose their job based on next to no criteria. "I don't know what you do on a day-to-day basis, but you suck and I hope you get fired." How fair of an assessment is that? What if someone said that **** to you?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2013, 11:42:34 PM »
The point isn't how well they would sell.  The point is the games were DONE.  Translation DONE.  Packaging DONE.  It wouldn't have cost anything to do a limited run of the game.  Lower numbers, and little marketing.  This was at a time when there was very few games for Nintendo fans to buy, and they were games of varying genres.

And, I don't care one way or another if he gets fired or not.  I would rather him do a better job and turn NOA and Nintendo around.   I just wish Nintendo would be more aggressive.  Also, I think the sells of those games being low had to do with the fact they were Gamespot exclusives, and a limited run, and came out late only after fans fought for the games. 

What if Nintendo spent just a little bit of money and marketed the games.  And had a limited release in all the stores?  People might have picked it up just to play a game. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2013, 11:52:02 PM »
It wouldn't have cost nothing?

Really?

Also, only Xenoblade was GameStop exclusive and when I said they sold like crap, I was talking about the EU numbers, where they came out during the "prime" *and* were fairly decently exported.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2013, 12:05:12 AM »
In the grand scheme of releasing a game.  Most of the work was done.  Obviously, it would have cost some packaging costs, some marketing costs.  But if you did limited number run...like Metroid Prime 3 numbers, it would have probably sold out.

Also, opening sales to different markets that wouldn't have be big expenses, but could potentially reward in additional profits means, that Nintendo could have made up some of those losses in the European market. 

Then again, maybe Nintendo releases all 4 games and they all 4 bomb badly.  Nintendo would have probably at least broken even of the costs to release the games in North America.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2013, 01:28:08 AM »
With the eShop we really don't have to worry about these games not being released anymore though.  The 3DS has already seen several niche games get eShop only releases in America, so this is the route NOA will probably be taking.  Now for people who want physical versions of the games this will suck, but if that's what it takes to get these games in North America then so be it.  That's better then the alternative of not getting the games at all.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »

Well I was on the internet for years before Reggie worked for Nintendo.  During that time I wasn't really worried.  We didn't get Sin & Punishment, which annoyed me at the time, but I didn't feel like Europe was going to get a bunch of game we wouldn't.  In fact prior to Reggie getting hired suddenly series like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem were getting localized for the first time.  If anything I thought Nintendo was loosening up on that stuff.

And I still think it's really fucked up to wish someone lose their job based on next to no criteria. "I don't know what you do on a day-to-day basis, but you suck and I hope you get fired." How fair of an assessment is that? What if someone said that **** to you?

The guy is in charge of the American branch of a company whose flagship product is flopping.  If something was failing under my watch you could call for my job, too.  When a sports team has posted multiple losing seasons I'll call for the GM or coach to get fired.  I don't know all the nitty gritty details but I can see the results are **** so the guys on top deserve the blame.  They sure as hell take the credit when things go well.

The Wii had like jackshit for games in 2011 and there was Xenoblade right there and translated and could have been slipped in to any of the multi-month gaps in the release schedule to give Wii owners something to play and NOA just sat on it.  I bought your damn console and you won't release games to play on it?  I'm stuck here with nothing new to play and you don't feel any desire to try to please your customers?  The message was loud and clear: "you're not part of the blue ocean audience so **** OFF".  And don't think I don't remember that any time I think about maybe buying a Wii U.  With the Wii I never felt like Nintendo was interested in having me as a customer anymore and NOA's actions with Xenoblade demonstrated that very well.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
Another game I would note as an unfortunate non-release here in North America was Disaster: Day of Crisis, a game IIRC Reggie said he refused to bring over to NA because he didn't think it was good enough. I imported the game, and it's no worse than a lot of the **** on the Wii.  I had a fun time with the game. It's a pity that a lot of people didn't get the chance to have that same experience.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »
The guy is in charge of the American branch of a company whose flagship product is flopping.  If something was failing under my watch you could call for my job, too.  When a sports team has posted multiple losing seasons I'll call for the GM or coach to get fired.  I don't know all the nitty gritty details but I can see the results are **** so the guys on top deserve the blame.  They sure as hell take the credit when things go well.
First, 3DS is not flopping. It is dominating Vita. Second, Wii U struggled due to the lack of software which isn't Reggie's fault because he doesn't make the games. Sales have picked up when Nintendo actually had something to release. Imagine that. I'm aware that coaches and general managers are fired for reasons beyond their control, but I don't think it's fair. Reggie has done a decent job with what he's given. Iwata too. I'm glad that he doesn't force games out that are full of bugs and glitches because that is counterproductive. For all the whinging in this thread and countless others, Nintendo has still taken care of their fans better than most companies.
The Wii had like jackshit for games in 2011 and there was Xenoblade right there and translated and could have been slipped in to any of the multi-month gaps in the release schedule to give Wii owners something to play and NOA just sat on it.  I bought your damn console and you won't release games to play on it?  I'm stuck here with nothing new to play and you don't feel any desire to try to please your customers?  The message was loud and clear: "you're not part of the blue ocean audience so **** OFF".  And don't think I don't remember that any time I think about maybe buying a Wii U.  With the Wii I never felt like Nintendo was interested in having me as a customer anymore and NOA's actions with Xenoblade demonstrated that very well.
Oh my goodness, this nonsense again. If this was even remotely true, Nintendo would have stopped making Mario and Zelda. Stop it.

And once again, Xenoblade appeals to such a small niche that making it any sort of priority would have a questionable decision. The problem with Xenoblade is that it was 10 years too late. You want Reggie fired for not quickly jumping on a game that was destined to underperform in the West. That's silliness.

You have stated time and time again that you didn't buy Game X because it's touchscreen/motion control, casual bullshit or something. Well, no one cares about Xenoblade (and the other two) except for a very small minority, myself included. Why are you able to acknowledge that you didn't buy something because it doesn't appeal to you yet at the same time, you are unable to grasp the concept that Nintendo of America wanted to pass on a few niche game because they don't appeal to most people?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2013, 04:52:09 PM »
You have stated time and time again that you didn't buy Game X because it's touchscreen/motion control, casual bullshit or something. Well, no one cares about Xenoblade (and the other two) except for a very small minority, myself included. Why are you able to acknowledge that you didn't buy something because it doesn't appeal to you yet at the same time, you are unable to grasp the concept that Nintendo of America wanted to pass on a few niche game because they don't appeal to most people?

Any console worth a **** provides variety.  The good ones with good support and a good selection of games have games for all audiences.  They have games for all ages, cover all genres, and have both massive mainstream hits and obscure niche titles.  The idea is that anyone of any tastes can buy the console and find something they like.  Nintendo doesn't give a **** about providing this.  All they give a damn about is big hits for general audiences.  That's fine if you're just a third party but if you're going to make a whole videogame system you better have some damn variety and if you're going to make no effort to attract third party support then YOU have to provide it.  Otherwise you are saying that anyone who isn't part of the Blue Ocean market can **** off, because if you wanted them you would make some effort to cater to them.  Also when you're making a console you have a responsibility for the experience you provide to the owners of that console that invested in it.  I, and everyone else, bought a Wii in the good faith that Nintendo would release games on it in a timely fashion.  Sitting on a game, a damn good one at that, that already has the localization and translation done, no matter how niche they figure it will be, while literally NO GAMES are being released is essentially scamming Wii owners.  Hey thanks for buying our system, sucker!  Now enjoy two games a year!

The thing is that Xenoblade's value is not just in raw sales.  It looks bad to have large gaps in a release schedule.  It upsets the existing userbase when they have nothing to play.  So when you release a new console are people going to trust that it will have a healthy supply of games or that long droughts will be the norm?  Games like Xenoblade and Disaster: Day of Crisis help pad the release lineup and help create the illusion of a healthy release schedule.  No one but the most hardcore gamer geek intends on buying every title, but they want to feel that they'll have lots of choices and options.  They feel more confident in their purchase if they're constantly seeing new games on the shelf.  So for a company like Nintendo, who has dick all for third party support, I find it utterly shocking that they would want to sit on finished games.  They're looking at simply the raw sales and not the negative longterm impact (ie: Wii U circling the drain) of establishing a trend of long release droughts.

Wonderful 101 came out and bombed and realistically was never going to be a hit.  Does NOA regret localizing it?  I think the Wii U was so desperate for games that having that game on the shelf, having it appear in store fliers, having it get some coverage by the gaming press, was worthwhile just to make the Wii U lineup look better to the public.  Most people won't want it or like it but some people will and when there is slim pickings to begin with that can make all the difference in regards to a system sale or making an existing customer happy so that they will want to buy Nintendo's next console.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2013, 05:10:42 PM »
I just want to add that while I didn't buy Xenoblade, The Last Story or Pandora's Tower, I might have and actually intended to purchase 2 of those 3 games had they released before I had essentially gave up on gaming on my Wii.

I was really looking forward to Xenoblade and was interested in TLS, but after the long internet begging campaign, I just lost interest in the whole thing. It's been hard for me to get back into gaming seriously since the Wii. I can't really blame that on Nintendo and maybe more change in lifestyle/priorities, but Nintendo droughts might have had something to do with it

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2013, 05:41:41 PM »
Any console worth a **** provides variety.  The good ones with good support and a good selection of games have games for all audiences.  They have games for all ages, cover all genres, and have both massive mainstream hits and obscure niche titles.  The idea is that anyone of any tastes can buy the console and find something they like.  Nintendo doesn't give a **** about providing this.  All they give a damn about is big hits for general audiences.
It did have some variety and no one bought those titles. Did anyone even try Lost in Shadow or was I the only one?  By the time the Operation Rainfall games were released, it just not worth watching those titles fail with an audience that has proved not to care about niche titles.
The thing is that Xenoblade's value is not just in raw sales.  It looks bad to have large gaps in a release schedule.
Three niche games wasn't going to change that. Sorry.
Wonderful 101 came out and bombed and realistically was never going to be a hit.  Does NOA regret localizing it?
Timing is key. Put The Wonderful 101 toward the end of the Wii U's life and it probably isn't brought over. Put The Last Story and Xenoblade in 2008 and yeah, they are probably brought over.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2013, 06:24:56 PM »
I bought Black Ops 2 so I did my part contributing to the hard core gamer stuff whatever.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »
Did anyone even try Lost in Shadow or was I the only one?
I bought Lost in Shadow. I saw the review thread that you made for the game, but at that point I hadn't completed the game yet. I intended to come back later, but then forget about it. *Reggie-style shrug*

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2013, 09:53:19 PM »
Well I was on the internet for years before Reggie worked for Nintendo.  During that time I wasn't really worried.

Sin and Punishment, Custom Robo, Animal Forest, Doshin the Giant and all of the N64DD titles, Super Mario 64 Plus and Wave Race 64 Plus (or whatever they were called...)...

I'd be curious, percentage-wise, which system NoA did the worst job at bringing titles over.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2013, 10:30:16 PM »
The original mother (or Earthbound) also comes to that list along with the entire fire emblem and advance wars series

I'm betting the NES is the worst offender here
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:47:03 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2013, 11:30:15 PM »
Would it even be fair to count 64DD games? I mean, if the peripheral doesn't come over, the games sure as **** won't by default.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2013, 11:36:27 PM »
Can't you just count 64DD in general then?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2013, 05:27:51 AM »
Why isn't it fair?  It's games we missed out on in the US because NOA didn't bring 'em over for us.

I still want to play Doshin.