Author Topic: Anyone familar with playing Wii games on the PC?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline sweetfeathery

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Anyone familar with playing Wii games on the PC?
« on: August 06, 2013, 01:31:53 AM »
I am in a situation where I have no television to play games on in the house. That would be fine but I have really wanted to go back and replay Xenoblade but now cannot. I researched Wii Dolphin and figured that this would be my solution... to simply play my Wii collection on the PC. It has been, however a real headache for me.
I came to find out that my disc drive was not compatible with dumping Wii discs to ISO files so I bought a
LG GDR-8082N Dvd drive that is usb plug in for my computer off Amazon. I tried to set it up again by re downloading RawDump 2.1 but when I open RawDump it will not give me the option to select a disc drive. It comes up as blank. I tried the "convert raw to iso" button and clicking the disc drive I have the Wii game in but I get an error message after 30 seconds of neither program responding which tells me that the disc cannot be read on windows.
Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone familar with playing Wii games on the PC?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 01:34:11 AM »
You might be able to set up a rip on a jailbroken Wii (take it to a friend or family's house) and tranfer the rip to your computer?

Offline sweetfeathery

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 02:58:19 AM »
Quick update. I uninstalled and then re installed RawDump and was able to get it to read my disk drive. It keeps telling me that the disc drive may be faulty which is a common problem I'm finding people complain about online. Are there any other programs out there for dumping wii games?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »
Try dolphin forums, you'll get much better help there. Or get a Wii and VGA cable (they exist, I have one).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 06:18:59 PM »
or get a portable dvd player with a/v input and use that.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »
I never considered Wii emulation but I have played with Dolphin for GameCube emulation off and on quite a bit. I notice that reports and results are mixed, supposedly people with machines inferior to mine claim to get full speed and perfect emulation yet I never get either. Then people with machines more powerful than mine claim they can't get it to do crap. Emulation is such a mess anyways but I think that Dolphin especially is just trying to be more than it should, they should have split it into two different projects and left it alone.

As for what works and doesn't work I can say that my results are mixed but for the most part apparently CPU speed matters most as does what instructions said CPU can handle. I understand video cards have little to do with it.

As for the legality of ripping vs downloaded, screw it you bought the game do what must be done.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
You tend to have to tweak the setting a little for each game for them to run perfectly. There are some that run great out of the box and others that never work. CPU is the biggy and clock speed matters, higher the better and nothing over 2 cores matter. Even with a old card like a 9800GT, one can run games at 1080p as the GFX side isn't the bottle neck since those commands translate over pretty easily besides a handful of games that exploit the Wii hardware quirks like Madworld.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 01:52:31 AM »
My i5 laptop with Intel HD 3000 can run SSBB in 720p perfectly. Of course, other games have a bit of trouble.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 12:18:07 PM »
See that sucks I had an i7 with 8GB ram and I couldn't even get Melee to play worth a damn unless I disabled all the effects. It played great but looked like ****.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 08:56:58 PM »
That's... odd. Dolphin is supposed to be running almost exclusively off of your CPU.