Author Topic: Which Podcast is the Best?  (Read 8738 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Which Podcast is the Best?
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »
I'm a big fan of gaming podcasts and I'd figure I'd start listening to NWR's. Which one should I start listening to, and are they available on iTunes?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Which Podcast is the Best?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »
If you want something a lot like a long running radio show go with Radio Free Nintendo (RFN).
If you want something a little more indy feeling go with Connectivity.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:18:53 PM »
Yes, all NWR podcasts are on iTunes. I'd at least try both RFN and Connectivity, because they're fairly different shows.

Connectivity's more focused, more consistently Nintendo-based, covers a broader range of topics and features a lot more different people.

RFN talks about more than just Nintendo, is more laid back, and features a pretty consistent cast who have spent enough time together that they have a great dynamic between their personalities.

Also, Radio Trivia's completely different, and is fantastic if you like game music.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:43:20 AM »
Why is RFN labled explicit of iTunes? Just a precaution?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 07:05:35 AM »
Pretty much. That and Episode 103 + the Drunkcast.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »

Occasional cursing and frequent sexual innuendo.

I always like RFN the best back when the newscast was going on.  Since Connectivity started, I see them as on equal footing.  The nice thing about Connectivity is that they tend to have a variety of feature subjects per episode, which usually means you'll at least like SOMETHING about that episode.

Haven't listened to the Radio Trivia podcast, but i've heard good things.

Listen to RFN if you want a consistent format in a show, Connectivity if you want more a variety-show format.  I'd suggest giving both a shot.

Offline Ryadin91

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 06:20:03 PM »
They cuss from time to time, but I love RFN. Possibly the best webcast that talks about the stuff I like. (Nintendo)
I got a dead pixel on my 3DS and it pains me...
Please someone answer my question! http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=37536.msg728915#msg728915

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 06:30:49 PM »
Another reason for explicit is partly to indicate its for an adult crowd and thats who RFN is targeting.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »
The Famicast is not bad, it's part of the RFN feed for those interested.

I like RFN best, Connectivity varies from segment to segment (I love Jeopardy the best). I love game music, so Radio Trivia is good (and I do enjoy the discussion on the games).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 03:31:08 AM »
The podcasts are long! Seriously, two hours? The longest podcast I've listened to before these were about and hour and a half.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »
They vary from 1 1/2 to about 2 1/4 hours long. Sometimes they are as short as just 1 hour (Radio Trivia is usually about 70 mins long).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ryadin91

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »
I ususally listen to an entire episode driving to school and back, but I love how the episodes are long lol. I wish they'd have it longer lol, when it's over and Jonny says "that's all" is a sad moment for me. The podcasts are the best way IMO to figure out what games I acually want to get and spent time with, which is great. Also when they talk about all these games, it makes me appreciate them more and they always remind me on why I love video games. Hell, if it weren't for this show, I would of fallen out of intrest for games a long time ago. Im glad I found such a fantastic Podcast. Guys, I love you! (no homo kinda way)
I got a dead pixel on my 3DS and it pains me...
Please someone answer my question! http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=37536.msg728915#msg728915

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
I work a night shift job so i basically listen to podcasts for 8 hours while working hahaha

but yeah, as for which one is better RFN wins my vote, Greg's editing is superb while connectivity is fairly rough around the edges editing-wise. The newest ep of connectivity is a good example.

in a nutshell:

RFN could fit right at home in a real radio station, while connectivity sounds and feels like a podcast.As for Radio Trivia it's pretty awesome as long as you like to listen to videogame music.

I actually started listening to the back catalogue of RFN and worked my way to where i started listening to the show (around ep 180) and it's pretty good, the first few episodes of RFN are really rough, basically just a recorded conversation. When Karl takes the host slot it starts turning into the RFN we know now and then when Johnny takes over that's basically when RFN becomes RFN and then Greg takes it up to the next level with his crazy amount of editing when he starts doing that. Although the one thing i dont like about RFN is that theres too many people named John and i can never tell who's talking. Unless one of them starts rapping.

as for when you should start just listen to the newest ep and follow from there, when you eventually get hooked you can listen to the archives afterwards.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:56:35 PM by Lithium »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 05:21:24 PM »
 Although the one thing i dont like about RFN is that theres too many people named John and i can never tell who's talking. Unless one of them starts rapping.

I always refer to them when I'm writing something as James/Crimm, Mr.Metts who evolved into Dr.Metts now, Lindy, and Greg.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:05 PM »
Well, I loved Connectivity, but RFN was kinda hard to get into.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 11:49:28 PM »

For me, it's the exact opposite.  I love RFN, and have ever since the current cast took over.  They just have this natural chemistry and there's a good flow to the conversation.  By contrast, I find Connectivity utterly boring, and no it's not because they only talk about Nintendo titles (though that certainly doesn't help, given how often Nintendo consoles and handhelds tend to go through dry spells).  The people on the show just seem unnaturally quiet and the conversation seems very dry and fragmented.  It's a very hard show for me to get through, so I don't listen to it unless I'm just out of other podcasts.

As for Radio Trivia, the big draw to that show is the music, and I can just find and listen to those tracks outside the podcast if I'm so inclined.  I'm sure TYP puts a lot of work into it, but it just doesn't appeal to me.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 11:50:32 PM »
Hm. I don't know why, really. I was just drawn into COnnectivity.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »
Connectivity varies from segment to segment, some are better than others. I think Zach makes most better than others though.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »

For me, it's the exact opposite.  I love RFN, and have ever since the current cast took over.  They just have this natural chemistry and there's a good flow to the conversation.  By contrast, I find Connectivity utterly boring, and no it's not because they only talk about Nintendo titles (though that certainly doesn't help, given how often Nintendo consoles and handhelds tend to go through dry spells).  The people on the show just seem unnaturally quiet and the conversation seems very dry and fragmented.  It's a very hard show for me to get through, so I don't listen to it unless I'm just out of other podcasts.

I agree but part of the reason RFN flows better (in addition to the chemestry) is the fact that i bet every single awkward silence is cut out and other parts cut out in order to make everything flow better. At least that's what i assume considering the amount of hours Greg supposedly puts into editing, also show notes for themed episodes/segments help too.

@ Oblivion, try skipping the "new buisness" segement. Although i still enjoy it it's still my least favourite part of the show and sometimes it can go on for awhile.

almost forgot about this thread on GAF [size=78%]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463716[/size]
it's a pretty good introduction on RFN.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:50:44 PM by Lithium »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 06:11:21 PM »
Famicast!!!
I dunno why, its just really great. Its fresh and interesting and just a little exotic. Plus, it is rare (about once a month now) so that adds to its delicacy. It just needs about 67% less Daan and 175% more Matt Walker. That'd be about perfect.

Famicast love aside, RFN is the flagship for a reason. Its just super slick. The editing is first class and the hosts are definitely into a very nice groove. There could stand to be a bit more back and forth conversation during some new business segments these days, but it is still super solid. I'll be sad when it eventually goes.

Connectivity has been quite excellent right out of the gate, which is impressive. Even RFN had to overcome some pretty rough patches to get where it is now. Connectivity has a very good concept with varying segments, some recurring, some not. So its never in a rut. And Jeopardy was a stroke of genius. All round, very good show.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »
Connectivity had a hand in that it was mostly a continuation of the Newscast, but with some new segments. The Newscast had some problems early on too.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »
True.
Wasn't a huge fan of Newscast.
Oui, Mon Gars!