Author Topic: NWR Jobs Sign Up Question  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
NWR Jobs Sign Up Question
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:28:37 PM »
Alright, so after almost 8 months of deliberation, I've decided to apply for a job at NWR. I seriously doubt I'll ever have any luck, but hey, might as well try, right? I just have a few questions:

First, can I apply to different positions at the same time? I don't know what I'd be exceptionally good at, and you may be better judges of that depending on what I bring to the table.

If so, will the applications have to be completely separate?

Also, what has to be on the resume and cover letter? I've never had a job before (and even then, this is volunteer so it doesn't matter) so I don't know exactly what to put on either document.

And a Skype interview was mentioned in the application process depending on experience. My laptop is screwed up and doesn't have working speakers and camera. My iPod touch has Skype but it's jailbroken so the app won't work. Would there be some other way to do the interview?

(Sorry for the weird spacing in my post. Opera doesn't seem to agree with NWR.)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: NWR Jobs Sign Up Question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:43:51 PM »
If you look at the most recent job posting, I'm pretty the resume/cover letter aren't on there.

Basically, I thought that would be good for applications, but it wasn't for us.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »
Oh, I was looking at the Jobs section at the bottom of the Main Website. Well, then I guess I don't have to worry about that.

What about my issues?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »
I have a hypothetical question

But if I were to "apply" for a job at NWR, do I really have to send in a resume and do a Skype interview and all that other stuff, or could I just be hired on the spot?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:32:14 AM »
First off, check here http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/sitenews/28044
I need to edit the Jobs page...

You likely wouldn't be hired on the spot. The resume, as per the more recent posting, isn't required. Skype interview is a maybe. We have other Herculean tasks for you to work through, though.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 12:57:30 AM »
Thanks Neal. I'll try to get something together this week. I'm also working on an English 102 paper the next two weeks, so maybe this wasn't the time to do it.

In any case, I'll try and get something sent in.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »
Does the mock NWR review have to be about a current game?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 02:28:12 AM »
Bump because I need this question answered this weekend.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »
Err not to be impolite, but I did apply almost Six months ago and I am assuming that it didn't get lost in the e-mail system or you guys have the world's most lengthy hiring process. A nice thank you, but no thanks would be nice if it wasn't what you were looking for.

If it did disappear, I will be happy to resubmit.

RE: Oblivion. I don't think it matters if it's a current game or even a Nintendo system game. I believe it's more about gauging your writing skills. Your ability to analyse and convey to a general auidence that analysis in a way that is approachable, easy to understand that gets to the heart of the game.

That's my take on it. You can wait for the word of God otherwise. My style is probably too harsh as I tend to deconstruct a game down to it's base elements which is good for FAQs and market analysis editorials, but somewhat unsuitable for reviews.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »
Err not to be impolite, but I did apply almost Six months ago and I am assuming that it didn't get lost in the e-mail system or you guys have the world's most lengthy hiring process. A nice thank you, but no thanks would be nice if it wasn't what you were looking for.

I agree, but that's how it works in the real world too. Most companies will not contact you unless they want to interview you. It sucks though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 10:12:48 PM »
Actually, most of the time you get a form letter that tells you they received an application and/or another to tell you the (Negative) outcome. A lot of these systems are automated, but I figured the NWR staff being actual human beings with some form of connection with through the forums, would be considerate enough to respond in some form since it doesn't appear they are flooded with applications as the jobs lists grows with each month or so. If they were flooded some of those positions should have been filled by now due to the abundance of adequate, if not exceptional applicants.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?