Author Topic: Club Nintendo Rewards: Handheld History Cards  (Read 25728 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Club Nintendo Rewards: Handheld History Cards
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 09:20:34 PM »
Holy crap, Mop, that would be amazing. It would require new software, though, I think. Maybe a downloadable game whose code comes with the cards? But that would, you know, require effort...
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Majoras_Wrath

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
I'm a little late on this, and I have no idea if this is still a relevant discussion (probably not) but I'll reply anyway.

To the author of the article: I did reply to the post that you cited as an example of why the rewards aren't free. I just can't, in any way of looking at it, view those items as what I'm spending 50 dollars for. This month, I'm buying Skyward Sword, not a work around to get a hat. And as I pointed out, I've seen these items sold on Ebay for far less, without having to buy an expensive game.

The concept of seeing a 200 hundred coin reward, and going, "Oh man, that bag costs 200 dollars!" is completely asinine.

Could those cards have been better? Does Japan get better rewards in general? Yup, and yes that does deserve criticism. But it deserves reasonable criticism that we could all learn from, not the writer lashing out at the entire Club Nintendo store and even the 3DS for no good reason. Had you just reported that fact without all the negativity and exaggeration, I would have just read your opinion, and just taken it into consideration with others I've seen.

I'm not offended. In fact, I'm pretty sure I must have been linked to an article of yours that I quite liked at some point in time as your name seems familiar. But the tone of this article just irritated me, despite being quite informative in other ways.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:01:31 PM by Majoras_Wrath »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 03:11:52 PM »
Had you just reported that fact without all the negativity and exaggeration, I would have just read your opinion, and just taken it into consideration with others I've seen.
That is why this is a blog, an unedited commentary, not news, formal review, or editorial.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 01:17:06 AM »
A few suggestions for anyone who finds themselves perpetually pissed off/disappointed in Nintendo: Go play something else! Shut the flap up! or Get the flap out!

And please, no one have the nerve to try and hit me with the "we're just voicing our opinions! censorship! this is just a blog!"  This is a Nintendo site.  If you find that you don't have at least 50% positive thoughts to share about Nintendo? THIS ISN'T THE PLACE FOR YOU!!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 01:24:15 AM »
Who are you to say whom this place is for?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 01:07:31 AM »
Seriously.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 01:41:22 AM »
So the lesson I'm learning here is that all Nintendo rewards are AMAZING because they're "free" and they're also Nintendo-related.

And I'm too snarky.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 10:52:25 AM »
So the lesson I'm learning here is that all Nintendo rewards are AMAZING because they're "free" and they're also Nintendo-related.

I agree.

But then, I'm the guy who spent $30 on an expired $5 coupon because it had the Nintendo logo on it.  So free Nintendo-related stuff is awesome.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »

And I'm too snarky.

They're not amazing, but getting all indignant about something that is essentially a free bonus for buying something you were already going to buy seems a bit silly.

And you are absolutely too snarky, but that's what we love about you. ;)

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »

Seriously.

Someone smart enough to know that a Nintendo website should be for people who like Nintendo more than they hate it?  This isn't a real high-level concept.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »
This place is for people who want to read our content and take part in our community. Period. As long as you follow the rules, it doesn't matter how positive you are about Nintendo.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »

Seriously.

Someone smart enough to know that a Nintendo website should be for people who like Nintendo more than they hate it?  This isn't a real high-level concept.

You hear that Ian!!? This is no place for you!!

This place is for people who want to read our content and take part in our community. Period. As long as you follow the rules, it doesn't matter how positive you are about Nintendo.

Oh... nevermind. Carry on.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 08:30:09 PM »
I wish I could find my original Other M review. I think NinSage would demand my prompt resignation.

I was engorged with rage.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 02:31:01 AM »
So... is it all hot air or will anyone actually attempt to explain the logic behind people who don't like something participating in a community built around that thing.

That would be like someone attending an indie film fest who dislikes indie films.  They just go around most of the time saying "this sucks," "this wasn't done right," "these guys don't know what they are doing," "that film is garbage."  They ruin the atmosphere for people who just want to enjoy the content.

Constructive discussions? Absolutely. That would be great.  But that requires an openness that some folks either no longer have or never had at all.  And if you've reached that point with Nintendo where you can no longer be open to the possibility that there is more to enjoy than to critique?  Why come here?

To make sure others experience your displeasure? To drive the people who enjoy the content into silence and hiding? Or worse yet, away from the site?  Where should they go if not to a place built upon the thing they enjoy?

So, please, I'm all ears.  Tell me how any gaming community (Sony, MS, PC) is made better with the presence of folks who have more bad than good to say?  Cuz Iwata sure ain't skimming the forums looking for ways to improve his products.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2011, 03:01:29 AM »
This is a place for die hards and fairweather fans alike. There are also plenty of people that just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something, and each and everyone of them are more than welcome to come here and converse about all things Nintendo and whatever other topics may come up too (within forum guidelines).

We may not all agree and we may not all like each other from time to time, but that doesn't mean we can't all share our opinions in a civilized manner in a centralized place.

The last thing we want is to become an echo chamber of fanboys with hive mentality that will chase off differing opinions just because they don't fall in with the pre-established line of thought.

We are a community of different people with different likes and dis-likes.  As long as you keep it respectful and within guidelines, you should be able to discuss whatever topic is at hand. And just because some people critique far more often than they praise, doesn't mean they didn't have a few good points somewhere in there. We not all here just to pile praise ontop of more praise and blindly ignore any faults. We are here to have discussions, and that is kinda hard to do without opposing opinions.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 03:21:47 AM »
I wish I were an Admin so I could up BnM's applauds by several hundred. He's exactly right. If you want a place where everyone's always positive about Nintendo all the time, those places exist elsewhere. This isn't, and shouldn't be, such a place.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 10:15:19 AM »
I mean in all honesty we tend to drive outright trolls away from here.  There really isn't any that's a regular whose really an actual troll.  We have a lot that are jaded though.

As far as Nintendo goes this site is a dedicated Nintendo Site as its topic.  With Nintendo being a sub topic of the Video Game Industry which is a sub branch of the Media Industry which is a sub branch of the Entertainment Industry the topics move around here with the people accordingly.

While the site focuses mainly on Nintendo news that is the topic.  The different viewpoints then come in and we have a discussion.  When times are good things are positive.  When Times are Bad things are negative.  The same way it is in any social group.

Anywhere that is always positive on a product or company is marketing plane and simple.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »
...There are also plenty of people that just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something,

Bingo.

We may not all agree and we may not all like each other from time to time, but that doesn't mean we can't all share our opinions in a civilized manner in a centralized place.

Oh yes, visiting a community to tell them how bad the things they enjoy are is so very civilized.

The last thing we want is to become an echo chamber of fanboys with hive mentality that will chase off differing opinions just because they don't fall in with the pre-established line of thought.

But that is exactly what happens! Just reversed! That's my point!  *ahem* from earlier in the conversation...

Lol, it's funny that I should see this story today. I stopped coming here not too long after Berghammer stopped running the site. Basically, it'd just become a center for all the NWR/PGC writers that were left to nonstop whine and complain about the most petty things and trumpet how Nintendo was "DOOOOOOOOMED" if they didn't go "MATTTTOOOOR" with their games. Yeah, you guys were totally right about that one.

I check out this story today, mildly interested in the reward, and it's (about the petty things) still the same crap.

This is the exact same reason why I stopped visiting Kotaku.  Why I stopped paying attention to G4.  Why I've even stopped visiting GoNintendo with any regularity.  The train of thought that Nintendo has no idea what they're doing (despite consistent success in quality and sales) IS the echo chamber.  That's why if you want that, you can get it from nearly any other gaming site on the net!!

If you want a place where everyone's always positive about Nintendo all the time, those places exist elsewhere.

Yea? "Places" plural, eh? By all means, list away!! Who knows, maybe I won't have to bother you guys with my enjoyment of Nintendo anymore! (though I'm never gonna stop listening to RFN... they're awesome).

I mean in all honesty we tend to drive outright trolls away from here.  There really isn't any that's a regular whose really an actual troll.  We have a lot that are jaded though.

As far as Nintendo goes this site is a dedicated Nintendo Site as its topic.  With Nintendo being a sub topic of the Video Game Industry which is a sub branch of the Media Industry which is a sub branch of the Entertainment Industry the topics move around here with the people accordingly.

While the site focuses mainly on Nintendo news that is the topic.  The different viewpoints then come in and we have a discussion.  When times are good things are positive.  When Times are Bad things are negative.  The same way it is in any social group.

Anywhere that is always positive on a product or company is marketing plane and simple.

My premise is people who are more negative than positive. Not positive all the time.  That's not a hard concept to comprehend so please, no one keep wasting our time with posts suggesting otherwise.

~~~

Here I am getting downvoted for having enough faith in gamers to hope for 50/50 at worst.  What does that say about where gaming culture is at?  Is the enjoyment derived from negativity that much greater than positivity?

Also, here's the banner from the forum I used to run as "CrashMan."  Note the quote and try to tell me I haven't put my money where my mouth is in terms of equality...
http://wiiaredeep.myfreeforum.org/templates/myff_wiiaredeep1/images/Wii_Forum_logo2.jpg
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:44:10 PM by NinSage »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »
Your positivity is on one side of the scale. I can think of 1 member in particular whose stance on all things Nintendo is at the complete opposite side of the same scale. The rest of us fall somewhere in the middle.

Truth is that none of us would even be here if Nintendo wasn't near and dear to our gaming hearts, but that doesn't mean we have to take everything they give us with a spoon of sugar and a smile. The more we grow and the more we understand about the industry, the more opinionated we become on the way it is, the it was, and the way it should be.

The staffers here have a site to run and in order to do that successfully, they need to draw hits, and they do this with "news" stories. The fact that the only thing they have to complain about are "the most petty things" should be a relief. We could be talking about much worse things besides lackluster ClubN rewards. Besides, they are only voicing their opinions as they stand at the time. Feel free to voice yours and possibly persuade theirs, that is what produces discussion and makes this an interesting place to visit after all.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 02:38:15 PM »
Truth is that none of us would even be here if Nintendo wasn't near and dear to our gaming hearts, but that doesn't mean we have to take everything they give us with a spoon of sugar and a smile.

Quote from: NinSage
My premise is people who are more negative than positive. Not positive all the time.  That's not a hard concept to comprehend so please, no one keep wasting our time with posts suggesting otherwise.

The staffers here have a site to run and in order to do that successfully, they need to draw hits, and they do this with "news" stories. The fact that the only thing they have to complain about are "the most petty things" should be a relief. We could be talking about much worse things besides lackluster ClubN rewards. Besides, they are only voicing their opinions as they stand at the time. Feel free to voice yours and possibly persuade theirs, that is what produces discussion and makes this an interesting place to visit after all.

So why do these petty things never get voiced as such? Why is an optional and free reward presented as some kind of personal insult?  Why are the news and responses predominantly gloom and doom when Nintendo's track record is anything but?  Again, for the masses, it doesn't make sense, but it makes MORE sense than to find the same thing on Nintendo-centric sites.

Also, kinda skipped over the part about chasing people away with negativity, didn't you?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 03:20:27 PM »
Don't take negativity so personally. People here still like Nintendo, but when things aren't going well are bound to vent and complain a little bit. That's part of life.

Why is an optional and free reward presented as some kind of personal insult? 

Because he spent a moderate amount of Club Nintendo points (which are a limited resource and far from free to collect) on a reward, picked something that was newly added, and then found out that the quality was very disappointing and his points wasted.

If that was me, and I dropped 300 points on something that was a major let down, I'd be disappointed too. Especially when the cooler shirt/shoelace rewards were announced so soon afterwards.

Why are the news and responses predominantly gloom and doom when Nintendo's track record is anything but?

Why are news stories and forum responses largely negative lately? Because they are direct reactions to what Nintendo has done in 2011. I'm as long-time Nintendo fan, but really don't have anything to show for 2011 so far outside of: an expensive imported Wii RPG that required I install homebrew to play; a 3DS console that has minor scratches on the top screen due to poor design, a handful of emulated NES titles to play, and most likely an updated version coming out next year with significant upgrades; and hope that 2012 will be a better year for Nintendo fans.

Honestly, I'd love to hear more good news... but it has been a bad year for Nintendo. If you have exciting news that is worth reporting, please share!
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 03:26:22 PM »
You may catch more flies with honey, but drama breeds ratings.

You don't like negativity, then don't respond to it, skip over it and flat out ignore it.
As far as active posters, we are a small community, and if our particular flavor of Kook-Aid doesn't suit you, then you are more than welcome to bring your own and add it to the selection or go seek it elsewhere. We aren't actively chasing anyone away nor are we being selective about the type of people that should be allowed to post here.

~~~

As far as why shitty prizes are considered an insult... well have you seen some of the stuff Nintendo of Japan gives out to their ClubN participants? Do you see the amount of money Nintendo is making off of us, and their way of saying thank you is to treat it's biggest market with sub-par gifts while it's home market (and even the Euro market) get sweet treats and nice prizes.

Now they didn't have to give us anything at all, and I'm sure we all understand that, but if Grandpa came home for Xmas and bought your sister a new house and a matching car, but only left you with a few sweaters and some socks, I think you would feel a little bit under appreciated.
The least he could have done is make sure they were the best damn socks and sweaters there are, but Grandpa didn't have to give you anything at all, so why would you complain?

A lot of us see ClubN as an incentive program (because that is what it is) and want to be compensated properly for our efforts. We buy their stuff and take the time to register it online and answer some questions about it so that they have feedback. In return for being a customer and taking that time and effort to provide such feedback, they monetize the feedback and allow us to spend that on prizes. If they continue to provide us with things we don't want, then what incentive do we have to continue giving feedback? What incentive do we have to try out that other game that only kinda interested me and buy it new so that I get the RegCode if I don't feel it's worth the extra money, time and effort to do so?

As far as "Doom and Gloom" (already kinda addressed at the top), it's because people care and want to see Nintendo do better than good and everyone has an opinion on how it needs to be done. Nintendo often makes lots of questionable and outright stupid decisions sometimes that more often than not turn out to be not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. But that doesn't mean that it isn't annoying that they do it and I don't see anything wrong with people voicing their concerns over these decisions, regardless of whether or not we know the reasoning and compromises made behind them.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 03:49:44 PM »
... Nintendo often makes lots of questionable and outright stupid decisions sometimes that more often than not turn out to be not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. ...

I read a great quote about Nintendo recently, but can't remember the exact phrasing. Something about how they are "historically brilliant, and historically foolish at the time".  It felt terribly apt, and it's hard to deny either half of the statement with good conscience.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »
@ejamer/BnM

These last two responses were worded especially respectfully and civil (not that they weren't before, just giving credit where it is due).  Please keep in mind that I appreciate that as I go on to explain why we are still not on the same page conceptually...

... when things aren't going well are bound to vent and complain a little bit. That's part of life.

It sure is, never said it wasn't... I have no idea why I have to keep defending that very central part of my message.

Because he spent a moderate amount of Club Nintendo points (which are a limited resource and far from free to collect) on a reward, picked something that was newly added, and then found out that the quality was very disappointing and his points wasted.

So he bought the games for the Club Nintendo points not the entertainment? Do games with CN points cost extra? We can buy 1st party games at a lower price if they don't have CN points? He didn't do his research before making an online purchase?

Really, the article doesn't come across as disappointed.  It comes across as angry.  It's fine to be disappointed in anything, but if he's got anyone to be mad at? It should be himself.

Why are news stories and forum responses largely negative lately? Because they are direct reactions to what Nintendo has done in 2011. I'm as long-time Nintendo fan, but really don't have anything to show for 2011 so far outside of: an expensive imported Wii RPG that required I install homebrew to play; a 3DS console that has minor scratches on the top screen due to poor design, a handful of emulated NES titles to play, and most likely an updated version coming out next year with significant upgrades; and hope that 2012 will be a better year for Nintendo fans.

I guess that's why 2010 was full of positive stories about having all kinds of 1st and 3rd party content being released? I guess that's why 2007-09 looked at breaking sales records as an outright success instead of some kind of casual dismissal and sure indication that Nintendo would be doomed this time next year.

Hint: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=109863

@BnM

"Drama breeds ratings" is, pardon my french, a bullsh*t excuse.  Are we here to discuss common interests or are we here to make sure NWR's advertisers are happy?  Let's try to make the goal of news outlets attracting viewers by being a source for valuable information and education.  Not because of "dependence theory" (the comm. theory you describe in which people will rely on/visit the media during times of uncertainty/distress).

Let's try to have a community were people want to share ideas because they can benefit each other.  Not just because they have a friggin' axe to grind!!

No, you're not actively chasing people away.  But the fervor with which people leap to the defense of negativity as if it is some kind of censorship issue? It safe-guards a behavior which does the task for you.  As gamers, WE control the culture.  You can't say that about all walks of life.  It makes no sense that we should protect negativity at all costs, but be afraid of positivity for some irrational fear of appearing to "sell out" or "be a fanboy" or lose some kind of street cred.

Again, as I mentioned before the "people care and want to help" rationale is also bunk.  If you wanna help? Go join Operation Rainfall and spread the word.  Don't spew negativity about how "it's never gonna work. NoA is too stupid."  Go do some research and highlight the Club Nintendo reward that you ARE happy with.  That way others can enjoy it to.  Telling us NOT to buy this one item leaves us open to the dozen or so other possible mistakes, doesn't it?

In other words, if people really cared, they should do something about the problem.  Dragging a storm-cloud to every community you visit does nothing.  It's not constructive, it's counter-productive at best and destructive at worst.

"But NinSage, you arrogant hypocrite, you're just sitting on a forum complaining (about complainers). That's why you got the custom title you currently bear.  You are no better than that which you condemn."

Au contraire.  Not the website linked in my signature.  I've run it for almost 3 years now.  Go read the Mission Statement and you'll see what we're about.  Unfortunately, though I feel I have a good handle on the media (abd PhD) and game culture (dissertation in hardcore game definition), I know next to nothing about effective website promotion.  So, we limp along, we have a small (less than 10) group of dedicated gamers who are awesome.  But it's hardly been enough to improve game culture as we'd like.

I'd like to live in a world where Kotaku writes at least one story about Monster Hunter Tri.  Not because it's on the Wii, but because it is a quality game that many people enjoyed. I'd like to see a media where Morgan Webb doesn't see Mario Galaxy is "too kiddy" in the same segment she calls Ratchet and Clank more mature and compliments it's "burp gun."

~~~

Still waiting on Insano, or anyone, to link me to those multiple websites where people enjoy playing games more than complaining about them.[/quote][/quote]

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 06:27:37 PM »
...There are also plenty of people that just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something,

Bingo.

Says the guy who's posted several large posts complaining about something or other....
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.