Author Topic: Dead Boards?  (Read 4162 times)

Offline thecubedcanuck

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« on: April 19, 2003, 07:42:15 PM »
Is it just me or have these boards really gone quiet since PGC switched to the new forum style?

It appears a lot of people never made the switch.

Any ideas why?
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 09:31:20 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that, too- there's only about 2,400 people on these boards as opposed to, what was it, like 14,000 on the other ones? I'm geussing people are just lazy- they haven't gotten around to signing up yet, but they will in due time (afterall, the new forums haven't been up all that long). But things have been a bit slow.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 12:24:05 AM »
It could be just the time of the year. With E3 a month away, news is really slow. Also, Zelda came out and took a lot of time away from posting on message boards.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 02:07:23 AM »
It could be the *cough* bugs in the new forum...

Seriously though, I don't know.  The new boards have a lot of problems, but they are a LOT better than the old ones.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 10:09:40 AM »
These new forums are quite active.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 07:33:37 PM »
Well, not so much lately....  I wouldn't really mind if the mods would visit us once in a while though.    I realize that the staff is probably busy with E3 stuff, but I really wish they would pick up some part time mods this time of year to control the boards.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 05:18:06 AM »
What bugs?  If you've noticed bugs, TELL US.  Can't fix it if you don't tell us.  The only real outstanding bug we have that we have yet to fix is the "can't edit your post in Talkback" bug.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2003, 11:11:30 AM »
It could also be that some people had more than one account making it appear that there were more users.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2003, 01:57:02 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
What bugs?  If you've noticed bugs, TELL US.  Can't fix it if you don't tell us.  The only real outstanding bug we have that we have yet to fix is the "can't edit your post in Talkback" bug.

A few bugs that pop into my head.....

Multiple posting bug.  (It only happens here, so I would call it a bug).
No edit in Talkback bug
If a user's name is too long, it makes the board look ugly.
No double posting thing DOES NOT work.  If you didn't post it on the first click of reply, then it won't allow you to repost.  This is problematic as the server on PGC has been pretty finicky lately, and it happened to me about 10 times in the last week.  It's annoying, although not a bug per say.

That's all I can think of now, but I have seen plenty of them.  I will let you know from now on if you wish.    

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2003, 03:21:44 PM »
The multiple posting issues are due to third party programs getting in the way.  We've fixed it for many people by helping them identify the program causing it, and it goes away when they turn it off.  That's not a bug.

I already acknowledged the TalkBack edit bug.

Usernames that are too long stretching the layout is not a bug.  Quite frankly, I can turn off people's ability to make "long" names, but I'd rather not have to do that, and it's really not that big a deal.  Again, not a bug.

The double post stopper DOES work.  (The issue above actually has the posts submitted multiple times through different forms ... it's a bit tough to explain, but proxies are involved.)  However, nothing can take into account if the initial post never happens.  The web is "stateless", meaning it doesn't know what's happening them you aren't clicking a button.  The only think you can do is what I do whenever I post on an internet forum ... copy your post before you hit "Submit", just in case.  But again, not a bug.

So like I said, what are the bugs you've seen?  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 04:43:07 PM »
Alrighty, how about the full screen ads?  They don't seem to work in any browser I have tried.  I have viewed them with Netscape 4, IE 5, IE 6, and Phoenix on a variety of computers.  Some users seem to have problems with them infinitely looping as well.

Overall though, you are correct.  The forum does work pretty good, and is relatively bug free.  However, the experience is a little offputting for a lot of people as FuseTalk doesn't allow for a lot of things that PHPBB allows, and isn't quite as refined.  I realize that it's easier on the bandwidth and all though, so don't get me wrong.  I definately support your using it, and I am not demanding that you use PHPBB, I am just saying that it's not as featured as I would like, and it continually does strange things for me.

The main reason for my buggy comment though has been the server.  It's been well behaved since you have taken the new memory out of it, but it was driving me nuts for a few days.

I would try to post, but it wouldn't upload the post, so I would hit post again... it would then give me an error, so I would click back on the thread a few times until it worked, copy and paste my new post into the reply box, and try again.  After a couple of repeats it would work, but you have to understand my annoyance with the "feature".

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2003, 04:42:37 PM »
"Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature."
-Rich Kulawiec

Just kiddin Rick

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2003, 07:05:45 PM »

Alrighty, how about the full screen ads? They don't seem to work in any browser I have tried. I have viewed them with Netscape 4, IE 5, IE 6, and Phoenix on a variety of computers. Some users seem to have problems with them infinitely looping as well.

Actually, if you get the black screen that seemingly "skips" the ad and goes right into the site/forum, then you got lucky and simply hit when their ad allotment said to skip it.  They spread out the ad hits, and that's what causes that black screen.  Think of it like hitting the "no ad" lottery.  

As for the looping, that doesn't occur in any CURRENT version of any browser I've seen.  Namely, the Public Beta 2 of Safari seems to fix the problem that the previous version did.  I mean, I haven't heard any more complaints.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2003, 12:10:28 AM »
Awesome.  I have yet to actually see a full screen ad though.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2003, 03:29:59 AM »
I've seen a couple, but I dealt with them a lot over at IGN, so I don't really care about them. Really the only bug I'm aware of is that Talkback one that's been mentioned. Good job keeping the forums running smoothly, Rick.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
Dead Boards?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2003, 07:39:11 AM »
Norton Internet Security does a pretty good job of killing ads.  Haven't seen a full screen or pop up since i installed it...