Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 719924 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
RE: Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #1300 on: July 29, 2007, 08:14:29 PM »
We're 9 hours away from go-time, any predictions?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: July 29, 2007, 08:17:22 PM »
::crosses fingers:: Super Metroid or Super Mario RPG?

(doubtful for both).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: July 29, 2007, 08:40:32 PM »
The original Metroid recently came out in Europe, so that seems likely. I doubt we'll get Super before the first one.

My fingers are crossed for Super Mario Bros. 3, tied for best game ever in my book (with OoT, which already came out and I should probably go back and finish, I think I'm at the Fire Temple). It'll be the last Mario on the VC, assuming they never add Game Boy games, which I hope they do.

Another N64 game would be nice, too, and since WaveRace is coming to Japan tomorrow I guess that'd be the one. I've never played it, but I've heard it's good, so that's good. How about something besides a racer next time, though, Nintendo? Wave Race will make it 3 out of 7 racing games of the N64 VC.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: July 29, 2007, 08:50:07 PM »
Super Metroid wont come out till a landmark number simply based on the fact that the game has never seen a release outside of the SNES. /sigh

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #1304 on: July 29, 2007, 08:58:06 PM »
Why must Nintendo inundate me with games, I bought a Wii points card and used it up in a couple of days.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: July 29, 2007, 09:16:09 PM »
I don't think landmark numbers mean that much to Nintendo. Number 100 was Zelda II, which, while a very good game, wasn't worthy of headlining a milestone like that.

GoldenPhoenix, no complaining about good VC weeks! After a long drought, we've had two great weeks of releases (except for Mashiro, who hates Paper Mario with the white-hot intensity of a million stars, who has had 1 great week) and I don't want them to stop. They probably will for a while for Metroid, but after that there's nothing much on the Wii til late October (but DK Jungle Climber and Zelda Phantom Hourglass on the DS), so maybe they'll throw us something then.

EDIT: Do you think NWR will do a very special two-part episode of VC Mondays this week because the no-show last week? I really hope someone got fired because of that blunder  

J.P. Corbran

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #1306 on: July 29, 2007, 09:21:18 PM »
Your mom got fired. I'll check to see if we're going to pick up the slack tomorrow.

As for VC, someone call me if SMRPG is available, or any non-first party N64 game. Otherwise, I don't give two dingleberries.  

edit: I'm hoping my negative energy prompts Nintendo to make a for-once smart decision with the VC.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: July 29, 2007, 09:25:01 PM »

Originally posted by: insanolord
I don't think landmark numbers mean that much to Nintendo. Number 100 was Zelda II, which, while a very good game, wasn't worthy of headlining a milestone like that.

GoldenPhoenix, no complaining about good VC weeks! After a long drought, we've had two great weeks of releases (except for Mashiro, who hates Paper Mario with the white-hot intensity of a million stars, who has had 1 great week) and I don't want them to stop. They probably will for a while for Metroid, but after that there's nothing much on the Wii til late October (but DK Jungle Climber and Zelda Phantom Hourglass on the DS), so maybe they'll throw us something then.

EDIT: Do you think NWR will do a very special two-part episode of VC Mondays this week because the no-show last week? I really hope someone got fired because of that blunder

Saying Zelda 2 is a very good game=never take anything insanolord says seriously. hehe

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: July 29, 2007, 09:52:24 PM »
Actually I never got around to playing it, I was just saying that to avoid an argument. I guess that didn't work too well, huh?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: July 29, 2007, 09:56:44 PM »
Aw but arguments are half the fun!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: July 29, 2007, 10:00:29 PM »

Originally posted by: insanolord
Actually I never got around to playing it, I was just saying that to avoid an argument. I guess that didn't work too well, huh?

For fun I think I'll disagree with you all the time!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: July 29, 2007, 10:06:04 PM »
Wow, I've only been here a few days and now I have a friend and an enemy! That was fast!

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: July 29, 2007, 10:10:38 PM »
Well . . . I'll take your side on thinks isanolord because of your Scorpio avatar.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: July 29, 2007, 10:24:44 PM »
Well The Simpsons is my all-time favorite show and one of my three major obsessions. You Only Move Twice is its best episode, and Albert Brooks does great work on the show (I thought the movie was pretty good, but one of my complaints is that Brooks' character, Russ Cargill, didn't have a bigger part). You've gotta love Hank Scorpio, he'll sting you with his dreams of power and wealth.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: July 29, 2007, 10:34:37 PM »
Haha yeah, that's one of my all time favorite simpsons episodes. Nothing beats the ending (I couldn't find a clip with just the ending but the other clip is funny too lol).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: July 29, 2007, 10:44:39 PM »
Any time they make a sports reference it makes the show seem out of date. Don't get me wrong, I love that ending, but it seems odd now that Denver won 2 straight Super Bowls (I think the ones immediately following that episode's airing), and they're a perennial contender. And the song over the credits is a great effort, like most of their songs, and of course where I got the last line in my previous post.

And looking at it now I seem to have hijacked this thread. Every few posts one of mine shows up. I suppose it's fitting, given how much I've spent on the VC (I think it's currently at $280, give or take $10).

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: July 29, 2007, 10:49:42 PM »
Haha yeah its super out of date (and Denver is my favorite team) but I love it just for the tone in homers voice with his disappointment and the animation for the team. Truly classic. I'll also always love the hammock discussion haha.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: July 29, 2007, 11:03:23 PM »
According to the DVD commentaries Brooks thought up the whole hammock thing on the spot; they talk about how when he does the show he'll do the scripted lines one take, then the next make up something different.

One of my absolute favorite lines from the show's history was what Scorpio said to Homer after he tackle James Bont: Great job, Homer. When you get home tonight there's gonna be another story on your house.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: July 29, 2007, 11:19:31 PM »
Lol classic. I also love when Scorpio does the whole Coat trick. "In fact, I never even gave you my coat!" *has coat on backwards*.

Another classic bond moment:

"Rules for playing drawn stud poker?"

"What a pitty Mr. Bond."  

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: July 29, 2007, 11:55:05 PM »
"Aren't you at least going to tell me the details of your plan for world domination?"

"Oh, I'm not going to fall for that one again"

And probably my all-time favorite line, Freddy Quimby on trial for beating up a waiter. His lawyer puts him on the stand to try and convince them he isn't quick to anger. He asks a simple question, and gets "I'll kill you, I'll kill all of you, especially those of you in the jury!"

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: July 29, 2007, 11:55:54 PM »
Ah Insanolord, you and I are going to be gooooodddd friends. lol.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1321 on: July 30, 2007, 01:58:59 AM »
This week we get:

Star Solider: NES
Dynamite Heady: Genesis
Drop Off:  TG16

Not the super stellar launch we were waiting for.  Its ok by me because now I can save my 800 Wii Points I still have for something better.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 30, 2007, 02:07:56 AM »
Strikers Charged comes out this week, who in their right mind was thinking that Nintendo would have great new titles available for purchase on the VC.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 30, 2007, 05:40:23 AM »
According to my sources (nice VC site that I usually agree with, http://www.vc-reviews.com ) Drop Off gets 1 out of 5, Star Soldier gets a 2 (to be expected, Super Star Soldier and Soldier Blade are later, better games in the series and already on the VC for only $1 more), and Dynamite Heady gets 4 out of 5. It sounds pretty interesting, a platformer with some cool tricks, and it's made by Treasure, if that makes a difference for anyone.

EDIT: I screwed up the link, the end parentheses was included in it, it's fixed now.  

J.P. Corbran

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: July 30, 2007, 05:45:34 AM »
Dynamite Headdy has some REALLY creative design and boss battles, so if you haven't played it and you have some Wii Points to spare, go ahead and give it a try! =D
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~