Author Topic: Brains Trust: Simultaneous Mario Bros.  (Read 2755 times)

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Brains Trust: Simultaneous Mario Bros.
« on: June 07, 2009, 04:50:25 AM »
Now we all know that simultaneous multiplay Mario Bros was first done on Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on GBC, no doubt serving as the inspiration for NSMBW. But I can faintly remember something. In some early 90's move some kids were playing Nintendo and they were saying "Ok I've got this leaf" "Allright leave the next one for me" and then a quick glance at the screen reveals that there were playing Super Mario Bros. 3 simultaneously. (!!!) Does anyone remember what movie it was? For some reason I'm thinking Honey I Shrunk the Kids or something of a similar vintage.

Does anyone else remember such a movie? Did I imagine the whole thing? It was like false product placement for a game that didn't' exist. Oh and anyone who brings up The Wizard gets shot in the face ok?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
Re: Brains Trust: Simultaneous Mario Bros.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 05:23:25 AM »
!!!! IT WAS BEETHOVEN! You knwo that movie about the dog!? Now I gotta find it on youtube and find the scene I know I'm not crazy!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 05:29:26 AM »
 i know on Forever Young they are playing f-zero..it had elija wood and Mel gibson....maybe josh and sam, maybe that movie thats the lead in to ninja turtles 2..i dont know what its called, id have to pop it in..i thought ben savage was on it, but he doesn't have any credits that sound right.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 05:32:15 AM »
damn you beat me to it! Now what the hell is that movie trailer that leads into ninja turtles 2 , its about a step family...and also there was British genie movie of around the same time....wtf was that called..

ok Ben Savage was in it..its called StepKids on Ninja turtles 2, but called Big girls dont cry, they get even on imdb
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 05:53:46 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 05:55:40 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7rq83hRUsY&NR=1
1:52
So upset though. it's not quite as I imagined it. They're acing as if they're playing simultaneously but on screen only Mario is doing his thing. So upset.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:25:38 AM »
Wow.  What a weird, and lame, thing to remember.

The Wizard > Beethoven.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 10:27:25 AM »
I thought the first simultaneous multiplay Mario Bros was, Mario Bros.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 11:31:01 AM »
Hey, yeah!  We even had 4 player Mario Bros in the Mario Advance series....
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 03:08:27 PM »
I always imagined a simultaneous 3D Mario Game. As difficult as it would be, I know Miyamoto is thinking about it, and will one day implent it somehow. And not just star and pointer control, but two actual 3d characters on screen doing their thing.

Come to think of it, the only simulataneous platformer that I could ever remember playing was the first Sonic Adventure. Even then that was just for the heck of it. Has any 3D platformer ever really done this? It was supposed to happen with Conker and that Owl in Conkers Quest, remember that?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »
Come to think of it, the only simulataneous platformer that I could ever remember playing was the first Sonic Adventure. Even then that was just for the heck of it. Has any 3D platformer ever really done this?
None that I know of but that would be a dream feature for Super Mario Galaxy 2. It is time Mario and Luigi are together once again in a platformer. The problem would be the level design, it wouldn't be easy to design levels that work both in single player and co-op especially if it isn't split-screen.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »
When you think about it that can be a very awesome feature but super duper difficult. Lets think about the games that have done it before and well, in the old 2D games. There is allot but lets take Sonic and Kirby Super Star for instance. Both had some sort of system where if the second player got lost he/she could catch up instantly via star warping or auto flying.

What was going to happen in Conker's Quest was 2 player split screen, with a Squirl Character and an owl character. With the second player as the flying owl it would be easy for the second player to keep up during platform elements. or getting across ground absticles period.  Same thing with Tails only thing is, If Sonic was too fast and Tails didn't know the layout of the game he would be left behind.

Mario and Luigi are super duper difficult in the 3D realm, only because both are limited to more or less of same abilities. So both players would need to be pretty good to get around those really difficult platforming sections together. And like you said Mop its gotta be the same for one player and 2. Or maybe no, what if when both bros are present things are slightly different.  Also in such a game split screen might make things allittle more difficult in really precise platforming moments. So I say one big screen that pans out if the the characters are too far apart.

I'm still convinced there would need to be some kind of catch up system for the second player, if the camera follows the first player soley.

But what excited me most is possibly having Mario and Luigi performing their team moves. Like a super triple jump where they lock arms and flip around each other. Or all that zany stuff in the Mario and Luigi games. Imagine racon/cape/wing hat Mario and Luigi flying mid air together to perform awesome Mario like stunts. There would be some lock on action and once Mario and Luigi lock on/team up you can perform awesome moves.

I've dreamed about this for a while. If I ever talk to that Matt from IGN again, im going to bring that up to him and see what he thinks. If he's interested in it, he might bring it up to Miyamoto. I know Miyamoto likes co-op Mario, but what does he really dream of making a possibility?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 05:19:07 PM »
"Looking at comments about simultaneous Mario game"
"Thinks back to Nintendo E3 2009 press conference" "Man New Super Mario Bros. Wii is going to be great!!" Maxi yells.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 12:24:09 AM »
Mario and Luigi are super duper difficult in the 3D realm, only because both are limited to more or less of same abilities.

One 'pipe' dream (pun intended) is that there are exclusive multi-player levels that you can play either local co-op or online. Online mode could use wii-speak to communicate with the other player on how navigate/solve obstacles (A basic example is Luigi staying put on a switch that opens a door, While Mario goes through it.)

Local co-op could be that they start at different points, and do various things along the way help each other's progress( Luigi stomps on a P-lock turning coins into bricks, opens up a new path for Mario). That way, you're not totally tethered to the other player. There would be a few instances where their paths intersect and have to do team moves. Their paths would ultimately end up in the same location, either a star or boss fight.

I'm no game designer, but that's just one vision. What do the people think?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 01:14:48 AM »
Sometimes ideas on paper sound better than they are in execution... but sometimes it is the opposite. There's only one way to find out what works and what doesn't, and that is to implement the feature into a game. Let's hope they are willing to experiment.

Local co-op could be that they start at different points, and do various things along the way help each other's progress( Luigi stomps on a P-lock turning coins into bricks, opens up a new path for Mario). That way, you're not totally tethered to the other player. There would be a few instances where their paths intersect and have to do team moves. Their paths would ultimately end up in the same location, either a star or boss fight.
This idea sounds like it would need to be split-screen multiplayer. The level designs would need to compensate for having half as much of a viewing area.