Author Topic: Ridge Racer (e-rr)  (Read 7316 times)

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Ridge Racer (e-rr)
« on: October 08, 2004, 08:00:49 AM »
Looking at those screenshots Ridge Racer DS is looking almost identical to Ridge Racer 64. Im citing the desert track and the more country enviroments here.

While Ridge Racer 64 is possibly the finest installment of the Ridge Racer series, I don't want to DS to be all ports/remakes. Eitherway good to see an awesome racing game on the system.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Ridge Racer (e-rr)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 08:24:04 AM »
I believe Ridge Racer DS is being made by NST who also made Ridge Racer 64 so it might be a port.  NST isn't exactly the most original developer in the world anyway since every game they've made is either a remake or a very similar sequel (Wave Race: Blue Storm, 1080 Avalanche) so it's possible they're just reusing some tracks.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 02:58:31 PM »
If NST made this shouldnt the touchscreen controls be refined.  The reviews given say the touch screen controls have been implemented horribly.  Doesnt nintendo know the hardware well enough to get it right.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 04:43:07 PM »
Hey it's not a launch title. They'll work on it. It certainly sounds cool to drive a car just like James Bond does in Die Another Day.

But yeah with NST at the helm we probably cant expect much in the way of innovation. Hopefully they can srounge togethor a new track, bringing the total to 5! (not counting Ridge Racer Extreme)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Ridge Racer (e-rr)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 04:51:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Jdub03
If NST made this shouldnt the touchscreen controls be refined.  The reviews given say the touch screen controls have been implemented horribly.  Doesnt nintendo know the hardware well enough to get it right.

Funny, because NST also is doing Metroid Prime Hunters, which looks to have absolutely fantastic control with the touch screen...Obviously RR is very, VERY early in development...So just chill on the first impression, ok?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 05:23:49 PM »
Actually RABicle it is a launch title. I still believe the control issue will be fixed by the time it releases though, Nintendo seem to be listening to criticism lately and responding to it. I must admit I think the idea of controlling the steering wheel with your hands on the bottom screen sounds really cool, I hope this turns out well, I always trust NST when it comes to controls.

Offline Kunoichi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 05:34:27 PM »
They should work on the graphics aswell, Asphalt: Urban GT looks a lot better than RR

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 07:07:52 PM »
You guys are expecting way too much for these launch titles. How long have developers been working on these games? How much of their resources do you think they are spending on DS development? At least there are games coming out. The N64 had what, 2 or was it 3 games at launch? Wasn't it just pilotwings and mario? And also compare the graphics of mario 64 to perfect dark, conker, majora's mask, and other late titles. You guys need to have patience and just be happy this thing will launch early and have a PSP-free holiday season, so that next year everyone will already own lots of DS's when PSP comes out and Nintendo will be in a nice position to churn out quality games. Porting games and then modifying them is easy...and with a system being released like 6 months after its debut (which everyone seems to have forgotten, do you expect perfect games in like 8 months or so, provided dev's had kits at least 2 months before E3?) you can't expect so much. Think of it this way. By the time PSP is released is probably around when the real, more original DS games will be coming out. However since Nintendo released so early, you'll be getting your fine games the same time PSP comes out for the first time, and you already have plenty of ports and early games. And if Nintendo is right, so will 4 million other DS owners. Anyway, it's all good, just trust them and quit complaining. This is why game developers don't want to show things at all. Just look at what happened to Fable on Xbox. Lionhead studios talked too much, the game got overhyped, and while it was a fine game people were just disappointed....

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 03:06:33 PM »
Funny thing is Asphalt GT has better graphics and is more polished than ridge racer.  This is unacceptable considering the fact that  NST had much more time to develop their game than ubisoft.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 05:21:51 PM »
Asphalt GT looks like a blurry mess, I can hardly see what's in front of the car in any of the screenshots, Ridge Racer looks much better, it's more clean and playable.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 06:10:31 PM »
Maybe because the bluryness is sexy asphalt on asphalt action
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 06:37:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Jdub03
Funny thing is Asphalt GT has better graphics and is more polished than ridge racer.  This is unacceptable considering the fact that  NST had much more time to develop their game than ubisoft.

NST has also had their hands full with the FANTASTIC-looking Metroid Hunters, which is more important to me...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 06:39:02 PM »
Well they should be working harder on Ridge Racer, considering it's a launch title, then they can work harder on Metroid Prime Hunters.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 06:48:55 PM »
Ridge Racer will be ready in time and it will kick arse too.

Anyone find it ironic that a game whcih helped launch both the PSX and the PS2 will help launch the DS and not the PSP? It think it's a good sign.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 06:51:14 PM »
Actually metroid is a system seller so its good that they worked on that.  If the demo is as good as journalist say it is then ridge racer can be bad.  EVERYONE that gets a DS will get metroid, not everyone will get ridge racer, especially if ubisofts game is better.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 07:08:14 PM »
"The reviews given say the touch screen controls have been implemented horribly"

This is the same thing that was said about Metroid Prime Hunters at E3 which apparently has been fixed so it's likely NST will fix this as well.  Still Nintendo has to consider whether it's worth it to use touch screen controls for this game.  Just because they have the option doesn't mean they should always go with it.  In the end I think we would rather have a generic Ridge Racer title with tight d-pad controls over a more innovative Ridge Racer title with unplayable touch screen controls.  Just because the option is there doesn't mean that they should always use it.  It's just that, an option.  What works BEST should always be the choice when designing controls for a game.  The E3 build of MP Hunters had the "use touch screen just because" approach to the controls and that's why people complained.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 07:20:13 PM »
"In the end I think we would rather have a generic Ridge Racer title with tight d-pad controls over a more innovative Ridge Racer title with unplayable touch screen controls."

Well they could always have both and keep everyone happy...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2004, 07:26:18 PM »
Well they might as well make it on GBA if they just use d-pad controls.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 07:59:03 PM »
"Well they might as well make it on GBA if they just use d-pad controls."

The GBA isn't a 3D console.  Even if you ignore the touch screen and the second screen the DS still is a more powerful system to work with.  They could make a better Ridge Racer on the DS.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2004, 09:37:20 PM »
The complaints about the touch screen controls were that the cars don't turn sharply enough. It sounds like they just need increase the sensitivity for the steering. At the very least they should let the player customize the sensitivity.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 05:02:40 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Well they might as well make it on GBA if they just use d-pad controls."

The GBA isn't a 3D console.  Even if you ignore the touch screen and the second screen the DS still is a more powerful system to work with.  They could make a better Ridge Racer on the DS.

Doom 2 disagrees with you.

Also goons, I'm sure there will be the option of using D-pad or touch screen controls, I really doubt that NST will make the d-pad totally redundant whilst racing, much like almost every racing game ever lets you use analogue stick or digital pad.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 05:28:02 AM »
Doom 2 actually is 2D. Dont give me all that 3D movement rubbish, believe it or not Doom 2 is just a lot of fancy 2d scaling effects. No polygons.

Oh and guys i'm retracting my comments about Ridge Racer not being at the PSP launch. Sadly it is.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 05:38:31 AM »
I wasn't being serious :'D
OUT OF DATE.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 09:40:16 AM »
I sincerely hope Ridge Racer's controls are fixed, but with only a month or so to launch, I'm worried.  I suspect that if they can't fix the controls before Christmas, the game will be released anyway.  I hope this game doesn't scare everyone else away from stylus-steering, because I think it would work really well, it just needs to be implemented right.

Edit: Missed a bunch of posts, cut out a comment
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2004, 04:53:44 PM »
The way its implimented now is just dumb.  If the steering was controlled by where the stylus is on the screen as opposed to how you move it.  OR maybe it you could use your thumbs to steer with, anything is better than the current scheme.