Author Topic: Advance Wars DS  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Advance Wars DS
« on: November 03, 2004, 08:15:33 PM »
Okay, we've seen a few screenshots, heard a bit of information, but we don't really know how the touch screen and other DS features will be used in this game. From some of the screenshots, it looks as though the top screen will be used to view the air, while the bottom screen is used for ground. I wonder how they both interact though? Would you be able to send flying units to the bottom screen or top screen with a move? What will go on in the sky, what's the point of flying up there? What goes on at the top screen while there's a "battle" down the bottom screen? Will it adapt the 2 on 2 style Pokemon did?

How will the touch screen be used? I really can't think of a way how it could be used, oh wait.. I suppose it could make moving around easier in general, instead of moving the curser to the place you want to move you just tap the screen, hmmm, there's gotta be other uses for it though, what do you guys think?

Could the microphone input be used to yell commands?

I also hope this game uses WiFi and is online somehow, there are people who live far away that I would like to play Advance Wars against.

So many questions! It just shows how much potential this game has... can't wait for more info.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE: Advance Wars DS
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 02:42:43 AM »
This is the system seller for me personally. If they can really do something special with this version, I am sold on the DS.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline valkan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 07:34:39 AM »
Advance Wars DS is the MAIN reason why the DS is better then the PSP.  

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 11:25:10 AM »
I'm guessing that flying units on the "air screen" will be out of the range of fire for most ground units.  Maybe there will be two different types of anti-aircraft guns--one for low-flying planes and one for high-flying planes.  It's also possible that opponents won't be able to see each other's high-flying planes unless they have their own up there.  A bomber will be able to fly across the battlefield unharmed, only to drop down onto the "ground screen" and wreck havoc on an unsuspecting enemy base.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
RE:Advance Wars DS
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 12:57:42 PM »

Originally posted by: valkan
Advance Wars DS is the MAIN reason why the DS is better then the PSP.

Awwwww yeeah, it's the DS game that's got me the most excited, I mean the GBA AW's are perfect,  but the two levels of battle can only make things better. Also, I hope you can use the touch screen for the entire  game, given it's a turn based menu system, should be pretty damn easy.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »
First yelling commands would just be .... awkward.  Utilizing the touch screen is much faster, intuitive, and neighbor friendly

Second for the split ground/air:

As mentioned, vision would be a big playing point.... some *speculation* on my part:
1) Climb/Descend above the clouds (takes a turn)
2) High alt removes you from range of ground anti-air units
3) Can't Fire on ground units or low level air units (from up high)
4) Higher visibility at high alt in fog of war both in the upper clouds (for other units) as well as some on the ground.  So say a copter at high alt would still see some ground space directly below it, while being out of vision range for ground units.  Practically like having a spotter for your ground force in FOW.  Also, air units at mid level could have vision ranges for both ground and for the higher altitude.  However, if an aircraft is sitting at the mid layer, it's vision of the higher layer isn't as great as if it were up there itself.  Fuel consumption would be different.
5) Captured cites act as a kind of radar, they can scan see a small area directly above them in high alt space only.  Also has the benefit of making it harder to sneak up on a base (where there tends to be a lot of property).  You'll have at least 1 round notice before they descend and try and spread havoc.
6) Air Drop Infantry  (Even more reason to have fun with Sami )

Wow, how's that for a semi brain-storm....

You can think of a lot of things.... what makes AW great is that it seems to always get the right level of common sense and detail, in one nice easy to use package.  This game will more than likely own the initial wave of DS games.  (assuming it comes out relatively early)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 09:33:06 PM »
Radars cannot spot a plane flying lower than about 50m. The plane would risk hitting the ground and is an easy target for enemies that can see it but air defenses at the target site would notice it only the moment its missiles are launched. Of course that's not an issue with stealth planes which cannot be spotted until their bomb bay opens...

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 11:14:56 AM »
I've seen a Bomber (F-117) attacking a heli platoon in the DS video, so my guess is that there's going to be a unit that can attack air and ground units. For a hefty price I hope, since we all know the Bomber is hands down the best unit in the Advance Wars games. And I want some mass carriers.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 04:26:55 PM »
It's already been confirmed that the stylus will be used for navigating troops and making menu selections.  I forget where i read it but i believe Gamestop.com, anyways the only thing im waiting to hear about is online ability and single cart download as in Ridge Racer DS.

Oh wait heres the link http://www.gamespot.com/ds/strategy/advancewarsds/preview_6109910.html

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 04:43:30 PM »
"anyways the only thing im waiting to hear about is online ability and single cart download as in Ridge Racer DS."

I thought ALL DS multiplayer games had single-cart download.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 08:51:50 PM »
I thought single-cart-mode is only what the developer implements? Of course itr could be that Nintendo is making single cart a requirement for multiplayer games this time round...

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 07:29:54 PM »
I dunno, the only game to actually confirm the ability to play multiple players with only 1 game, that i know of is Ridge Racer DS.  I'm sure others will have it but i have not heard a confirmation.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2004, 07:38:23 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56832

Third paragraph... Game Sharing.

Although I have no idea if that's only for selected games.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...