Author Topic: Pokemon Gold and Silver being remade for DS  (Read 11358 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Gold and Silver being remade for DS
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »
My brother is a big Pokemon fan.  He has all the real games, including FireRed/LeafGreen (not sure which of the two he has).  Yet when I told him about this he was iffy.  He hates the rehashing of Pokemon.  He hates how they always release a bullshit third version of each game.  He hates all the Pokemon spinoff junk.  But he loves the main series and if you strip away the bullshit you have four really kick ass games and a remake that's pretty decent.

For him to be disinterested in this is significant.  I don't think he felt FireRed/LeafGreen was really necessary.  Is Nintendo going to do this forever?  In a couple of years will a remake of Ruby/Sapphire be coming out?

The irony is Gold/Silver is considered the best Pokemon game because it was innovative and broke new ground and was everything a sequel should be.  A remake is like the exact opposite.  It's like Nintendo really doesn't understand why Gold/Silver is so respected in the first place.

Pokemon is like this super awesome game that any hardcore gamer should go nuts over, but it's marketed to rubes that fall for the same con again and again.  Can you think of ANY series like this where you have this absolute gem hidden under all sorts of rip-offs, rehashes and spinoff junk?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
Pokemon is like this super awesome game that any hardcore gamer should go nuts over, but it's marketed to rubes that fall for the same con again and again.  Can you think of ANY series like this where you have this absolute gem hidden under all sorts of rip-offs, rehashes and spinoff junk?

Final Fantasy's getting there, but it's not there yet.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »
Looks like I got myself into quite a mess last night. I should really stop posting in the AM hours. This was not good news for me to read late at night, because of my hatred of the franchise. I should have been able to hold back, but I didn’t. For this, I apologize.

They have already been remade twice now: Ruby and Sapphire were the first remakes, then Diamond and Pearl were the second remakes.
Why are Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl remakes?  That's a sort of crazy assertion.
Your original post quoted a comment of mine which was about Gold/Silver, that’s where that confusion stemmed from. As far as Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl are concerned, I already explained this one. When I referred to them as a “remake”, I was using it as a derogatory term because they are incremental sequels. There is definitely some hypocrisy in this of course, since I like some game series which have incremental sequels, like Mario Party.

I didn’t like the new stuff introduced in Ruby/Sapphire. The natures gave stat-building more guesswork, the abilities added another random element to battles, and the team battles were just annoying. Plus, they removed the day/night system and day-of-the-week from Gold/Silver. There was probably more too but it’s been a while and I don’t really remember.

The thing with Pokémon is that I don’t like it to begin with, so any kind of incremental sequel – no matter how large or small the changes are – means I’m still not going to like it. They would have to make some drastic changes for me to enjoy the game… but then it wouldn’t really be a Pokémon game anymore, now would it? A spin-off which has some different type of gameplay would be the type of Pokémon game that would appeal to me, and that’s why the only Pokémon game I like is Pokémon Snap. Oh, and Pokémon Puzzle Challenge/League… not really sure if that counts or not.

That's what happened with the original pair, but they definitely continue with the two-game thing because they know people buy them both.
Your evidence for all of this is?  Are you simply specuating with psychic powers?
If the multiple versions didn’t result in more sales overall, they wouldn’t have continued with them.

Besides the third game is usually a testing ground for the new features that crawl into the next full version.  So even if you could vaguely call it a "remake" instead of a "Special edition" it's not like the additions do not warrant another version.
What other franchise releases a special edition of a game to test out features? There wasn’t a special edition of Super Mario 64 to test the ideas put forth in Super Mario Sunshine. It’s done to cash-in on a franchise. As far as being worth buying, that’s a matter of taste. I personally don’t think that new Pokémon poses in battle and a tacked-on battle arena are worth buying a whole other game for.

Yeah and it's also against the rules.  So quit it.
The difference here is that it really is my opinion, but I see your point.

I apologize if I upset anyone.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 05:15:34 PM »
Gold and Silver were fantastic for their time, but I'm not really excited about this.  It'll take something more complex than the standard Pokemon formula to get me into the series again...a "Pokemon Tactics," if you will. 

Pokemon has gotten way too complicated as it is. If you know whats up with all them monsters it becomes absolutely insane.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »
Gold and Silver were fantastic for their time, but I'm not really excited about this.  It'll take something more complex than the standard Pokemon formula to get me into the series again...a "Pokemon Tactics," if you will. 

Pokemon has gotten way too complicated as it is. If you know whats up with all them monsters it becomes absolutely insane.

Yeah, I've read a few breeder/EV FAQs and the nuances are crazy. I could never get that into the game that way. It is very technical and very deep.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 06:25:04 PM »
Yeah its exactly the reason why I never played anyone after diamond and pearl came out. I spend so much time IV breeding and working out all this crap that it made me go nuts and I just stoped playing. Though now I understand it better and back at it again. Its all these numbers and things that really affect the out come of battle that make it very interesting but very daunting at the same time.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »

You're 100% right.  It's true that you can spend days breeding the perfect pokemon, and weeks managing its stats so as to squeeze every last point out of your build.  That kind of behavior is largely unnecessary, though, unless you plan on duking it out with other players.  I've never really felt compelled to compete with other players, though, largely because many of my favorite pokemon are far from being powerhouses.  And also, I'm kind of old, and I'm pretty sure there's some kind of law against people my age trolling about for Pokemon match-ups.

Simply put, I don't find the basic combat mechanic to be very engaging, and just coming up with new moves in the next generation isn't going to make it any better.  Just adding new moves to the Pokemon formula is like coming up with new fist gesticulations for Rock-Paper-Scissors, or putting an 8-sided die in the ol' Pop-o-Matic Trouble bubble.  If only Nintendo would combine the addicting collection aspects of Pokemon with the strategic elements of Fire Emblem or Disgaea...oh, what a spin-off that would be.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »
If only Nintendo would combine the addicting collection aspects of Pokemon with the strategic elements of Fire Emblem or Disgaea...oh, what a spin-off that would be.

While we're at it, how about ditching the story for say...something OTHER than being an 8-12 year-old charged by a (probably pedophiliac) old man to go around documenting all the Pokemon in the world (something that despite being a renowned scientist he just can't be bothered to have done any research on himself), while both repeatedly battling your hometown rival and ruining some grand Snidely Whiplash plot revolving around taking over/remaking the world with Pokemon?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »
A huge announcement would have been a Wii Pokémon RPG.

I really want this announcement. Fuckers.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2009, 01:14:16 AM »
I just realized something. They are going to remake Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby. At the current pattern they will release a new set of games after the G/S/C remakes and after those they will probably release remakes of R/S/E. Then another new set, then they will remake Diamond, Peral and Platinum. Then another 'new' set. Then they will re-remake Red and Blue since those were the classics. I'm even more disturbed now.

I think they should stop making a whole lot of new Pokemon and just make a set of games with a random mixture of the old ones. Give us a choice from a number of the old starters and give us a variety of the classic legendary Pokemon to catch. Then they could focus on other aspects of the game like STORY and GAMEPLAY instead of creating a fifth clone of Rattata or Pidgey. How about some new types? There haven't been any new types since Gold/Silver. Crystal type? Digital type? Pokemon with three types? Just throwing them out here now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 01:16:03 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline Kurisu

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 03:01:46 PM »
How about some new types? There haven't been any new types since Gold/Silver. Crystal type? Digital type? Pokemon with three types? Just throwing them out here now.

Or how about dual type moves?  I always thought that would be cool!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 07:43:14 PM »
How about some new types? There haven't been any new types since Gold/Silver. Crystal type? Digital type? Pokemon with three types? Just throwing them out here now.

Or how about dual type moves?  I always thought that would be cool!

I completely agree, Kurisu. Dual moves would have a really fun twist on things. Though for balance you might want to limit the amount of dual moves a given monster could have at once to one or two.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 08:12:14 PM »
There haven't been any new types since Gold/Silver. Crystal type? Digital type? Pokemon with three types? Just throwing them out here now.
Beauty type. Their specialty would be charming and confusing the enemy by striking poses.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »
There haven't been any new types since Gold/Silver. Crystal type? Digital type? Pokemon with three types? Just throwing them out here now.
Beauty type. Their specialty would be charming and confusing the enemy by striking poses.

That's a good idea. There are enough Pokemon that seem to specialize in charm like Togepi and that Pokemon that evolves from Feebas that it could be a feasible type. Digital seems to make sense with Porygon. There could be a legendary digital type monster that is a virus similar to how Deoxys is a virus except this one is man made like Mewtwo.

I'm thinking too much about this stuff...
My Game Collection