Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 197176 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #275 on: October 28, 2009, 12:55:10 AM »
It made it so you had to complete a dungeon all in one run, which was pretty annoying. I never bothered with collecting all of the fairies because of that. The game got pretty repetitive with all of the mundane tasks you had to do each time you started the three-day cycle.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 15, 2009, 03:14:29 AM »
I was just wondering when the next RA Poll was going up. Are we waiting until the new year for that?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #277 on: December 16, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »
Yes, the "Second Chance" poll will start around the end of the year and beginning of the next one, with the discussion to take place in January. However, there may be a nod to RetroActive on the show before then.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 17, 2009, 03:40:11 AM »
Something like a 'best of RA' segment on your year-end episode?
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2010, 03:30:02 AM »
Anyword on what we will launch our first RA of the new year, Jonny?
My Game Collection

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #280 on: January 15, 2010, 03:40:42 AM »
I announced the poll lineup on the upcoming episode, so I better get that set up in the forums before Sunday. ;-)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 20, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »
In light of the fact that Jon and Greg have never played Sands of Time I must insist that the game is given a shot in the next GCN Retroactive poll.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #282 on: February 21, 2010, 12:51:38 AM »
Not a bad idea, vudu. I don't know if we'll have any GameCube games in the near future -- we've already done three of them, and then tend to be a little more expensive and less convenient than some other options. Still, I'm sure we'll get back to the system eventually, and Sands of Time would be a perfect candidate.

Actually, this would be a good time to ask everyone for ideas on how to proceed with RetroActive. We've done a series of platform-specific polls now. We may eventually do that again with N64, Master System, etc. if and when it makes sense, but I want to take a different direction for now. My first thought is having genre-based polls (RPGs excluded for the time being). So we could put together 2D platformers, shoot-em-ups, maybe racing games... what do you think makes sense? Where should we start, and what games would you nominate in a particular genre?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 21, 2010, 03:52:04 AM »
Actually, this would be a good time to ask everyone for ideas on how to proceed with RetroActive. We've done a series of platform-specific polls now. We may eventually do that again with N64, Master System, etc. if and when it makes sense, but I want to take a different direction for now. My first thought is having genre-based polls (RPGs excluded for the time being). So we could put together 2D platformers, shoot-em-ups, maybe racing games... what do you think makes sense? Where should we start, and what games would you nominate in a particular genre.

Genre-themed polls could work. Of course, it depends on if we can only nominate games available on the Virtual Console or if we can nominate anything.

I hope Mega Man 5 comes out soon on the VC - maybe in the wake of Mega Man 10's release on WiiWare. MM5 is my favourite of the original six NES titles, so I will put that forward for a 2D platformer poll. With any luck, most people already own it in some form.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 21, 2010, 03:54:14 AM »
Personally I was hoping for more system polls before starting genre/theme polls. I want to see an N64 poll.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #285 on: February 21, 2010, 04:08:34 AM »
I'm with Stratos. I would like to see a N64 retroactive. Hey who knows maybe Majora's Mask wins the Game of the Decade and we could play through it.

As far as Vudu's suggestion I think that is a good idea. Prince of Persia:The Forgoten Sands is coming out in May for the Wii. It takes place after the sands of time but before Warrior within. So this could be a good opportunity to play Sands of Time. I don't have any of the Gamecube POP games so I could try to search for them.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 21, 2010, 05:32:51 AM »
Sands of Time is so worth owning, Maxi. Amazing title.
My Game Collection

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #287 on: February 21, 2010, 12:57:34 PM »
True, a GB/GBC or GBA/DS poll is still needed, imo.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 21, 2010, 02:59:26 PM »
The only problem with a Nintendo 64 poll is that there are few games available on the Virtual Console, and the ones which are, they are ones which almost everyone has already played and discussed countless times. The game I would want to nominate (Superman 64) isn't on the Virtual Console so I doubt it would have a chance.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #289 on: February 21, 2010, 03:52:30 PM »
As I've said before, VC availability isn't required, but it helps a lot. That is even more the case for systems that are not easily available or backwards compatible. GameCube is easy, since we can all play those games on Wii. GBA and even GBC are fairly easy as well (provided the games aren't super-rare). N64 has exactly the problem that Mop described: the few games that are conveniently available have been talked to death already.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #290 on: March 01, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
My thinking is that our next poll should be for handheld games. We may lump them all together, or do a GB/GBC poll and later a GBA poll. DS could be in the mix too. With physical media, availability and cost are key factors to selecting the nominees. Therefore, it would be helpful to include links with pricing/ordering info with your suggestions. For instance, if the game can be had at most Gamestops for $5-10, include a link to the Gamestop web page for it. Or if there are tons of cheap copies on eBay, that could work too.

Schedule-wise, I'd like to have the next poll running during PAX so we can mention it to the live audience. We'll have to allow extra time between the poll and discussion so that everyone can find copies of the game. There's no way to do another RetroActive before PAX, as we'll be too busy planning for the big show.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 01, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »
In light of the fact that Jon and Greg have never played Sands of Time I must insist that the game is given a shot in the next GCN Retroactive poll.
I can't remember who it was offhand, but at least one member of the Newscast crew hasn't played Sands of Time either.  The game is no longer eligible for a poll--it's now an official Retroactive game.  You just need to pick a time.  You need to force these people to play the game.  No ifs, ands or buts.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #292 on: March 01, 2010, 06:35:31 PM »
*sheepishly raises hand*
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2010, 12:33:09 PM »
Not a bad idea, vudu. I don't know if we'll have any GameCube games in the near future -- we've already done three of them, and then tend to be a little more expensive and less convenient than some other options. Still, I'm sure we'll get back to the system eventually, and Sands of Time would be a perfect candidate.

It's a shame.  I have noticed that a lot of Gamecube 3rd party titles, such as Sands of Time or Beyond Good & Evil, are more expensive than their counterparts on the PS2 and Xbox. 

Edit:  Assuming that RFN is going with a handheld system poll, all this Metroid talk lately kind of makes me want to nominate Metroid Fusion, since I've never played it.  Zero Mission is still my favorite GBA game.  Used to have a copy of Metroid 2, but I either lost it or sold it off long ago when my original-recipe Gameboy bit the dust.  I kind of regret it now.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:48:23 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2010, 06:23:33 PM »
I just had a thought, maybe we should have a 'Game of Decade' RetroActive and vote for one of the final nominees to play through.
My Game Collection

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #295 on: March 06, 2010, 02:14:18 AM »
I've had enough of playing games that everyone has already played before. Fusion is borderline in that regard.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 06, 2010, 10:00:33 AM »
I've had enough of playing games that everyone has already played before. Fusion is borderline in that regard.
Fair enough.  I skipped the GBA years almost entirely, until I bought a DS Fat.  So most of it is new to me, with some notable exceptions.  I had avoided playing Fusion because I had been under the impression that it wasn't that popular.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 06, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »
I played it for a bit and it felt like Metroid to me. I never finished it.

I'd rather play Metroid 2 since I have that sitting here waiting for when it is finally voted for RetroActive.
My Game Collection

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #298 on: March 07, 2010, 08:52:33 PM »
I'd like to see a cross-platform retroactive on Street Fighter II. Each person could play one or two versions of the game, then compare and contrast the various versions of the game. If I recall correctly, the versions available on VC are:

1. SFII (SNES)
2. Special Championship Edition (Genesis)
3. Championship Edititon (TG-16)
4. Turbo (SNES)
5. Super (SNES)
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 29, 2010, 10:15:22 AM »
With Ogre Battle 64 hitting the VC today (supposedly), let me be the first to officially nominate it for RetroActive.   ;D
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.