Author Topic: Nintendo Land  (Read 11103 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Nintendo Land
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:46:50 AM »
Nintendo Land is a collection of 12 Nintendo-themed mini-games, at least four of which are fantastic.

Aside from what the remaining games are, one of the questions facing the game is how it will be available. Nintendo has hinted at making it a pack-in with the system, but if that's not the case, how do you think it will be released?

I don't see it being a full $60 game if it's sold separately. My prediction would be something like $40, with a Remote + packed in. What does everybody else think?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Nintendo Land
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 02:54:35 AM »
I don't see it being a full priced $50 game (it alarms me that people assume Wii U games will be $60). Either packed in with the system (maybe pre-installed, but I lean towards a disc as more likely) or retail fro $30.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 08:32:56 AM »
A voucher for an eShop download is packed in. Two birds with one stone.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »
I'm imagining it would be a pack in for America and Europe on disc.  Not so sure about Japan.   I think the voucher idea is good in theory, especially to get people used to going online and using the shop, but not everyone has internet.  I think Nintendo is more careful about this than other companies.

I think after the system has been out for awhile though, we will see a retail copy of Nintendo Land and it will come out for about 30-40 dollars on disc.    For when they start doing other pack ins, game replacement, or people who buy the system used without the game.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »
This is sort of a repost of what someone else said in another thread, but I think Nintendo Land will be a pack-in for the system, and be a trojan horse for Nintendo experimenting with DLC.  They could sell the following as DLC:

• New Minigames
  • New game modes for current minigames
  • character skins
  • Level packs
Don't make any money on the initial game, but anyone who wants extra features beyond the core pack can provide Nintendo for an income source on the game.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 12:46:06 PM »
I think it's gotta be a pack in.  After the success of Wii Sports and how much of a system seller it was, it seems logical that Nintendo would want to try that same approach and use Nintendo Land as a showcase of the unique aspects of the Wii U and use it as a system seller.  It wouldn't surprise me if they made a bunch of DLC available for the game.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:41:52 PM »
I dunno, I get the feeling that Nintendo considers this a AAA product, and might not want to give it a "freebie" association. They could have made a Wii Sports U pack-in collection based on some of the initial sports demo footage from last year's E3, but seem to have consciously chosen to steer away from that into an IP heavy collection with higher production values. If it is retail, though, I spec this mofo will bomb pretty hard.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
I predict pack-in and they will change the name to work in the word "Carnival"

Nintendo Land Carnival
Nintendo Carnival
Nintendo Carnival Games
Nintendo Land Carnival Games
Nintendo Land: Carnival Fun

@lolmonade: I love the DLC idea. Hope it happens; probably won't.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
I wonder if it is the killer app like Wii Sports was. I certainly hope so.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »
I personally don't think Nintendo Land will have the same impact that Wii Sports had. That's too high a bar to set. If it's sold separately at retail though, I think it could potentially sell as much as Wii Sports Resort (30 million worldwide abouts?).

My personal desire is that it's a pack-in via a downloadable voucher. If I was forced to guess though, it'd be a pack-in disc, ala Wii Sports. But my Wii U budget plans all assume I'll have to buy it separately for $50, which I am willing to do.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 09:45:26 PM »
I don't think it will have the impact Wii Sports had, but based on what I've played of it it's at least as good a game as Wii Sports was. I had a ton of fun with the parts of it I played at E3.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »
I know this was the least popular event at E3, but the moment I saw the Zelda multiplayer gameplay video was the moment I knew I HAD to have this game. I will ALWAYS play the archer!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »
The Zelda was a lot of fun, and I definitely agree with you there, Carmine, the GamePad archery is way more fun than the M+ swordfighting.

J.P. Corbran

Offline vinniebrock

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »
I guessing there will be a D/L code for it packed in. Also, i have to agree, I don't think there's any way it's as big as Wii Sports. Just the image of moms & grannies playing tennis in front of their TV was a HUGE selling point for a lot of people, and I don't think anything in Nintendo Land can excite/intrigue people like that; other than the GamePad itself... but certainly not to the THAT extent. It looks/sounds great, judging by the hands-on impressions & footage, so I'm guessing people will love it when they actually play it.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 09:34:57 PM »
I would think that they'd just have it pre-installed. No need to put a barrier up to immediate play.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
It could help guide the blue ocean crowd to the Wii U eShop.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 11:29:56 PM »
If all their other efforts haven't done that, this won't change that. That's the job of Miiverse and the like now.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 12:58:25 AM »
I would think that they'd just have it pre-installed. No need to put a barrier up to immediate play.

I agree completely. I think this will be a pre-installed game here in NA at least. I like the online voucher idea, but  like someone else said, not everyone has internet.  Regardless, I have a hard time seeing this as a disc only game.  To me, all mini game collections belong in a discounted downloadable space.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 03:16:55 AM »
If all their other efforts haven't done that, this won't change that. That's the job of Miiverse and the like now.

But Miiverse sorta depends on the console being online... I think that before Nintendo solves the issue of getting the blue ocean to buy games digitally, first they need to get them to hook up their Wiis to the internet! ... or is that what Netflix is for?

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
Given the system and game is out, I figured we should revive this thread for the purpose of providing impressions.  I haven't yet played my copy yet as I've been creeping around London killing zombies but I have seen videos up showcasing the game. 

Looking at the videos though of running around the plaza as your Mii got me thinking.  I don't know if this is just me but looking at those videos makes me want a game centered around Miis.  Either a 3d platforming game, a sim's type of game, or even an online Lago City Undercover type of game with all your Miis running around the city. 

I find it amazing how Nintendo has, in a way, created each and every one of us into one of their new mascots.  That's what these Mii avatars feel like now.  They aren't just a picture associated with a username, they are characters in Nintendo's games now.  Anyways, that's a discussion left for another thread. 

I look forward to trying out some of these attractions in Nintendoland, it just sucks that I don't really many local friends to really put this game through its paces.   

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 09:50:17 PM »
BATTLE QUEST! I'm addicted. If my gamepad didn't need to be charged, I'd still be playing.

I haven't gotten to try the multiplayer games yet but hopefully tomorrow.

I want all the naysayers to know that while this is technically a mini-game compilation featuring Miis'... IT IS NOT THE "GLORIFIED TECH DEMO' they feel Wii Sports is. This is a fully fleshed out game, that just happens to be comprised of mini-games but that word doesn't do the game justice after the last 6 years of it being thrown around. The aforementioned Battle Quest, for example, is a VERY engaging game that can either keep you busy for a few minutes at a time (1 level or so) or hours on end (play all levels as a campaign or try the time trials).

In fact, I love what they did with the Pikmin attraction because, while I did enjoy the first Pikman game (never played 2) I wouldn't say I was crazy for the series, but there's just something about the attracting in Nintendoland that makes me wish Pikmin 3 was out RIGHT FUCKING NOW! I know it doesn't play exactly the same as the real game but I forgot how much fun it is just throwing around your pikmin and having them gang up on monsters!

Oh, and this game as Plinko. What more could you ask for??
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 11:01:11 PM »
These games are tougher than you would think. I keep dying!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »
These games are tougher than you would think. I keep dying!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one lol

I'll say it again for the naysayers out there because this bares repeating: this is not a glorified tech demo the way Wii Sports was, this is a VERY solid game, lots of replay value, lots of challenge. I think everyone should pick it up!
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 11:11:30 PM »
The GameTrailers review of the game implied that you can play the multiplayer games (like Animal Crossing: Sweet Day) by yourself with bots, is this true?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 11:24:33 PM »
The GameTrailers review of the game implied that you can play the multiplayer games (like Animal Crossing: Sweet Day) by yourself with bots, is this true?

The Pikmin gave thru in 1 bot for me that seemed useless since the gameplay was fairly simple (at first) but I only stuck with games that read "1-5" players as opposed to "2-5". That means I skipped the AC game so I dont know if it would give me a bot or not.