Author Topic: Mistwalker's "The Last Story" out in NA via XSEED!  (Read 171232 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Yeah, I got quite annoyed with my local Gamestop when I walked in to pick up my copy and saw that they were pulling the old "release date!=street date" nonsense.  Damn.  I was really looking forward to playing that today.

This is not GameStop's fault, there was a problem shipping the game. So blame whoever was suppose to deliver the game to stores.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Yeah, I got quite annoyed with my local Gamestop when I walked in to pick up my copy and saw that they were pulling the old "release date!=street date" nonsense.  Damn.  I was really looking forward to playing that today.

This is not GameStop's fault, there was a problem shipping the game. So blame whoever was suppose to deliver the game to stores.

When they had the release date before today as the 14th (it's since been changed to the 16th), I think I can but I blame XSEED far more for not having worked out their issues beforehand.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Other retailers had it listed for today too, because its when they expected to get the game. Who knows what cause the delay, maybe they had a last minute problem with the shipping company.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Gonna have to agree with TJ here. There was probably a problem with the shipment at the last minute and sometimes this stuff happens. You guys have been waiting for the game for this long a day isn't going to hurt. Maybe a Xenoblade Chronicles marathon will pass the time quicker for those disappointed with the slight delay.

Also there is a slight bonus on the delay. For those that haven't preordered the game you get a chance to do that now and get the bonuses as well that the rest of us can get as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:06:18 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
This game reminds me so much of FF12.  I'm currently going through FF12 again as I had previously given up on it when it first released but I've found a new appreciation for it.  By far my fav FF behind 6.  Anyways, I'll be picking this up as soon as I get FF over and done with.  I really hope there are some additional side content with this game as I've read that it can be somewhat short for an rpg.
EDIT:
uhhh, the dreaded negative reviews are starting to come in. 
http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-last-story-233007.phtml
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_last_story/b/wii/archive/2012/08/14/the-last-story-review.aspx

The only thing that really bothers me about the complaints found in the GI one where they state that there is no way, in game, to keep track of side quests.  This could be a big pain in the ass as chasing down npcs or objectives without an ingame assist is rough as all hell.  In the end, I'll go buy the recomendation of those of you on here who have purchased the game.  I look foward to hearing feedback once you all get your copies. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:08:37 PM by Mannypon »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Well, it's Thursday now and the GameStop I pre-ordered at still doesn't have records of any Last Story shipments in their system.  At this point, I have no faith whatsoever that my copy will even arrive tomorrow.  Apparently, some other stores like Best Buy are starting to get their copies in, but I want my pre-order soundtrack; case; and art book so I'm kind of stuck with GameStop.

And if you're wondering why XSEED's incompetence in not ensuring the game was out on time bothers me, I recently loaned my Wii out to my best friend for 3 or so weeks.  I went to a lot of trouble to make sure I had it back before Tuesday so I could play The Last Story (he's borrowing my 360 tomorrow instead).  Now as it turns out, I could have left the Wii with my friend a whole extra week because XSEED couldn't make sure the game was out on store shelves on the release date.  That's a week he could have spent finishing Final Fantasy 6, the Virtual Console game he was playing.  *sigh*

EDIT: I just spoke with my local Gamestop after talking with some friends on Twitter, and they do have the pre-order soundtrack CDs.  So if you don't want to take the chance of a GameStop employee "losing it" (or you just want something from the game you pre-ordered 2 days after the release date), you should be able to go in and pick yours up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:19:19 PM by broodwars »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
I ordered from Amazon and I haven't received a shipment confirmation on the 16th. It is frustrating as I'm excited for the game and this is a crummy way to start. I hope nothing really terrible has happened with manufacturing or shipping the game.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
I ordered from Amazon and I haven't received a shipment confirmation on the 16th. It is frustrating as I'm excited for the game and this is a crummy way to start. I hope nothing really terrible has happened with manufacturing or shipping the game.

Rumor has it Amazon's copies are going to be at least a week late. I didn't see any source on this rumor though, so grain o' salt and all that.

I do however now believe that XSEED may have bitten off more than their distribution channels can chew, though.

Offline n-phage

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
I got an email from Amazon this morning saying my copy has shipped.  Looks like the rumor is false.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
Good to hear!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Yeah, I got one yesterday saying I was going to get it tomorrow from Amazon.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
I haven't gotten my e-mail yet, but I only rarely order from Amazon, and I ordered it fairly late, so maybe it's first come first served, and my copy comes later?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
I picked up my Last Story OST Sampler today, and shortly before received a text message from GameStop telling me that the game would be in the store at "Friday PM."  My best friend and I are seeing Amazing Spider-Man around 1 PM, so hopefully while we're out and about the game will finally arrive.

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
This afternoon I got an email from Amazon saying my order had shipped

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Got my gamestop text today. Heading out to pick up this glorious title tomorrow.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Got back from Gamestop earlier around 11 or so and haven't opened up the game because I am hosting my Mafia game but will likely play it this weekend when I take a break from hosting the game till Monday.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
I picked up my copy earlier today, and after seeing a movie I managed to play through the tutorial area (I saved once I talked to all the folks in the pub).  So far...well...I really, really hate to say this, but...well...the game kind of sucks so far.  It feels like the game really wants to convey a sense of strategy and tactics in battle, but even with the combat set to manual it kind of feels like the battles are on auto-pilot.  It's kind of amazing how many tutorials the game's thrown at me, yet without actually saying much of interest.  I think the problem is that the game just throws the player into the story in media res, but holds back too much when it comes to the combat mechanics.  "Rushed" seems to sum up the game so far.  Xenoblade was much better at easing the player into the mechanics and gradually unlocking systems.

Hopefully the game will start unlocking more control over the combat system soon, as it's kind of hard to wrap my head around what's supposed to make this combat enjoyable so far.  I've been looking forward to this game for a long time now, and I'd really like to get into it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:33:50 PM by broodwars »

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
got an email from amazon.ca saying the shipment was delayed to the 21st, guess it only affects Canada

Offline vinniebrock

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
Got my copy a few hours ago  :cool; Excite. Probably the second-to-last Wii game I buy (Kirby).

Anyone here played the MP / know what it's like? I'm kind of tempted to do it for Community Night, if it's fun.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I picked up my copy earlier today, and after seeing a movie I managed to play through the tutorial area (I saved once I talked to all the folks in the pub).  So far...well...I really, really hate to say this, but...well...the game kind of sucks so far.  It feels like the game really wants to convey a sense of strategy and tactics in battle, but even with the combat set to manual it kind of feels like the battles are on auto-pilot.  It's kind of amazing how many tutorials the game's thrown at me, yet without actually saying much of interest.  I think the problem is that the game just throws the player into the story in media res, but holds back too much when it comes to the combat mechanics.  "Rushed" seems to sum up the game so far.  Xenoblade was much better at easing the player into the mechanics and gradually unlocking systems.

Hopefully the game will start unlocking more control over the combat system soon, as it's kind of hard to wrap my head around what's supposed to make this combat enjoyable so far.  I've been looking forward to this game for a long time now, and I'd really like to get into it.
Having finished beyond the tutorial and finally started the meat of the game, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the variety of combat. Upon learning Gale, things start getting more interesting.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Nice to hear.  I've read mixed things about this game so I'm really looking foward to the feedback on this site.  This game will be my next purchase as soon as I'm done with FF12.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Yeah, actually I lied.

Gale is only the START of the game's awesomeness. Then you get the Command Function, which allows you to control your teammate's special abilities, and yes, the more you level your teammates up, the more abilities they unlock. You can order your team to head back to the nearest cure ring, or send a buttload of awesome moves your enemy's way.

The mix of party members keeps things fresh, as does the game's continuous spin on the battle mechanics. The boss battles are always unique, and feature different strategies for maximizing damage and being a bamf.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU XSEED. I was very skeptical about the battle system in this game- I was worried I wouldn't take to it that kindly and, like broodwars, after going through the somewhat weak tutorial levels (the tutorial levels arguably go up to like, chapter 4), I still wasn't sure. But when the action starts and things begin to pick up, the game gets much more fun, and the locations do, as well. The warehouse in the tutorial is very dark and difficult to navigate, and I should also mention that most of the game's set pieces are a little compact in size- but that doesn't make them bad in any way. In fact, I really like how the game is so much smaller in scale and scope than say, Xenoblade. It makes you appreciate the really large areas much more, like the hub city, but also makes things way easier to explore and maneuver. I think someone may have mentioned this before, but where Xenoblade wows you with pure scope and magnitude in both features and geography, EVERYTHING in The Last Story is smaller but packed with intention. It all serves a purpose- from the stone pillars which are your cover, to the grinding circles for repeated encounters, and the spells that have vastly different effects, and the number of interesting equipment options.

Also, broodwars, you may find yourself going back to automatic attacks eventually, though in some boss battles and junk it's nice to be on manual. When there's a lot of enemies and time is short, I find myself planning the squad's actions and making sure they're covered with different button presses, and it's nice to just have the option of walking up and wailing.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Mistwalker's "The Last Story" out in NA via XSEED!
« Reply #522 on: August 18, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »
Finally, shipping confirmation for the 22nd! I guess this is what I get for choosing super saver shipping. Though, Xenoblade Chronicles came on the Saturday of the week of release.

Anyway, it seems that the beginning of the game is a slow start. I'll keep that in mind and adjust my expectations.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 18, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »
Thanks, Evan, for that.  It gets me excited to play this game.  I may finally hook my Wii back up after all this time.

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 19, 2012, 06:23:45 PM »
My EB (Canada) got the game in yesterday, though they never got the OST sampler preorder bonus :(. They said it still might show up but I have no idea how likely that really is - I will keep hoping.

It's going to be hard to not start this game as the discussion here gets more active! I gotta finish Skyward Sword and Xenoblade first, so really this slight delay didn't affect me much other than worsen my backlog.