Author Topic: Official DS Sales Thread  (Read 698009 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Official DS Sales Thread
« Reply #2125 on: July 15, 2006, 08:27:31 AM »
Not according to NPD.

Installed Hardware Userbase

3.) Xbox - 14,445,092
4.) GameCube - 11,150,628 (June 2006 numbers not included)

3 million is most definitely not a huge lead. And XBox is non-existent in Japan. This means that the Cube's big failure should be in Europe, and that's where the XBox makes up for Japan.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Neodymium

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: July 15, 2006, 08:33:45 AM »
Xbox has 22 million shipped. It has ceased production, and the remaining units will eventually trickle through the public.

However, Gamecube has about 21 million sold. Depending on how many remain in stores (and if any are still being made), that will by the eventual number sold.

If there are a million unsold Gamecubes left or if a million have yet to be made, Gamecube will surpass and win. Yes, it's not a big deal for Nintendo's profits but it is a big deal for our petty fanboy pride.
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
RE: Official DS Sales Thread
« Reply #2127 on: July 15, 2006, 11:25:24 AM »
Well, I remember the 22 ~ 21 million figure being thrown around a year or more ago. This suggests that we've been horribly duped by marketting trickery.

I suspect that if this is true, we shall really need to start viewing Microsoft numbers with the same rampant skepticism that we view Sony numbers.

For example, Microsoft has boasted of a 60% penetration rate of XBox live. But that's for the free silver membership that can access the store and buy downloadable games and make gamer tags. I wonder what the gold membership penetration rate is because these are the only gamers who are opting into actually playing a game ONLINE.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 15, 2006, 12:28:02 PM »
Doesn't NPD skip WalMart? There's your discrepency there.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: July 15, 2006, 04:05:06 PM »
Throw all NPD sales figures out the window...from a high building.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: July 15, 2006, 11:17:38 PM »
Kairon: NPD does NOT cover Europe.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: July 15, 2006, 11:28:47 PM »
Yeah. That's why I figure that the Xbox must be beating the pants off of the Cube in Europe to make up for it's non-existence in Japan, and since it only has a 3 million unit lead in North America.

Of course, if we're gonna throw NPD numbers out the door, then both the American AND european markets are still relatievly unknown.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: July 16, 2006, 12:49:30 AM »
Cube doesn't exist in Japan? True in a way, but it still sold a fair few million, which is a fair few million more than Xbox. Which probably makes them even, then Xbox leading in Europe is probably what pushes Xbox over the edge. Not that it really matters... it just points out how uniformed people are. GC's are literally being given away free with games here, and nobody gets them, because nobody even knows.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: July 16, 2006, 08:40:43 AM »
Really.  Where are you?  I need a new GC and I could use a game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #2134 on: July 16, 2006, 10:46:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
he is in Australia, so unless you have a FreeLoader....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: July 16, 2006, 01:25:55 PM »
I could buy a FreeLoader cheaper then a Cube...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: July 16, 2006, 05:56:35 PM »
Lets also take into account the people that have 2 or 3 Gamecubes because of the different colors/designs. I'm sure it's not that many, but it could make a slight difference. Also, if the numbers are accurate (which they're not), the Xbox has sold roughly 30% more consoles than the Gamecube in the US, which is pretty significant.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: July 16, 2006, 08:29:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

Aussie Toys R Us, Target and a few other shops are giving them away free with Mario Smash Football, and a few other games like SSBM and MKDD.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: July 17, 2006, 09:35:01 AM »
Wait, Xbox 360 has only sold 2 million copies in the USA to date?  I thought Microsoft was going on about selling 10 million units before the competion comes out.  They've sold zilch in Japan, and I seriously doubt they've sold 8 million units in Europe.  What gives?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: July 17, 2006, 09:36:50 AM »
Literally free? Like, actually. Free. No way. I mean, maybe free with the purchase of a thousand dollars or something?

Nintendo needs to get out of Australia and never look back.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: July 17, 2006, 09:51:12 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
Wait, Xbox 360 has only sold 2 million copies in the USA to date?  I thought Microsoft was going on about selling 10 million units before the competion comes out.  They've sold zilch in Japan, and I seriously doubt they've sold 8 million units in Europe.  What gives?
Actually I think they are somewhere around 5 million sold WW with right around 3 million in the U.S.(or is that N.A.?)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: July 17, 2006, 10:33:40 AM »
Yeah, I heard 5 mil as well, but they HOPE to sell 10 mil before the competition comes out.

We'll see, as the current 360 sell rate isn't enough to reach that number by the time the Wii rolls around.

If they'd just hurry up and release Halo 3, they'd sell a f*ckload more units.

Prey and others like it are great games and all, but you can get them on the PC for cheaper and you can have mods and mouse and keyboard. It's going to take the exclusive "killer app" to truly get the 360s off the shelves and that app is, without question, Halo 3.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: July 17, 2006, 10:51:25 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
If they'd just hurry up and release Halo 3, they'd sell a f*ckload more units.

Prey and others like it are great games and all, but you can get them on the PC for cheaper and you can have mods and mouse and keyboard. It's going to take the exclusive "killer app" to truly get the 360s off the shelves and that app is, without question, Halo 3.

Meh...

I don't agree with that statement.

I believe Halo does NOT have the selling power it use to. When it first came to the Xbox, it was a very solid multi-player FPS with vehicles and an engine we hadn't yet seen. It was fresh and well-rounded. And most importantly, it was new.

Ever since it's arrival, there have been more and more FPS's than ever before. These other games just flooded the market, so much so, that even when we played Halo 2, it left a stale taste in our mouth. You can see exactly what I mean with the "sand-box" genre that GTA created. Nobody bought GTA: PSP, and for a good reason.

As popular as Halo is, I don't think it'll become the killer app Microsoft intends it to be. Unless it's vastly more innovative and more fun to play, I think Halo owners will be content with the setup they already have (or at least until the 360 is cheaper and has other notable games as well). I could very well be wrong, but I don't think it will have the selling power Halo once did.

And to generalize a bit, I don't think the 360 is doing a very good job selling them to previous xbox owners period. $400 dollars for a system that is a marginal improvement above your old system isn't going to sell you one. I see people sitting on the fence with the mentality "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: July 17, 2006, 10:58:42 AM »
There's a Halo fanbase which only buys Xboxes for Halo at all. It's like their version of Zelda.

I know of a few people who are holding out for the release of Halo 3 and swear they'll buy a 360 once Halo hits. It's the same way a lot of people only bought the GC for Metroid Prime.

I don't know how fresh or new Halo 3 will be (probably not very) but the Halo fanbase is a great deal larger than most of us think.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: July 17, 2006, 01:06:25 PM »
Halo has become a household name because of the MS hype machine. Had it come out on PS2 it would be have been a moderate success. The fact is that sandbox junk like GTA PSP didn't sell well because of PSP. When it was ported to PS2 it just sold and sold and sold -- a definite sign of just what kind of platform PSP is and likely a hint to future third parties.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: July 17, 2006, 02:12:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Neodymium
Halo has become a household name because of the MS hype machine. Had it come out on PS2 it would be have been a moderate success. The fact is that sandbox junk like GTA PSP didn't sell well because of PSP. When it was ported to PS2 it just sold and sold and sold -- a definite sign of just what kind of platform PSP is and likely a hint to future third parties.

Actually, it's a bit more than the PSP.  Yes it didn't sell well on the PSP.  But that is partly because it was $50 for a port of GTAIII with the ability to ride motorcycles or something like that.  It sold abysmally because of that.  When they ported it over to PS2, it was SRP $19.99; much cheaper than $50.  Plus, a lot more uninformed people own PS2s and think that LCS is a new game rather than a port.  Sales will die quickly on it when word gets around to the uninformed that it is the same game they played in 2001.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: July 17, 2006, 06:43:35 PM »
Halo 2 is the #1 played game on Xbox Live. I played last night (Brandogg360 if anyone cares) and each time I'd enter a lobby it would fill immediately. Halo 3 is going to sell a LOT of XBox 360s. A LOT.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: July 17, 2006, 06:53:34 PM »
Halo is...the American Final Fantasy?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: July 17, 2006, 07:05:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Halo is...the American Final Fantasy?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

What a profound, indeniable, tragic observation. But there are far more in the US that like RPGs than in Japan that like generic shooters. So.. go good games!

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: July 17, 2006, 07:57:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
Halo 2 is the #1 played game on Xbox Live. I played last night (Brandogg360 if anyone cares) and each time I'd enter a lobby it would fill immediately. Halo 3 is going to sell a LOT of XBox 360s. A LOT.

I'm sure it is...

But of that number, how many people are playing off the original Xbox?

Alot, you say...

Well hmmmm

Don't you think that if Halo 3 is only marginally improved (as was H2 although Online is a huge improvement, just look at MKS), that people might be content with there setup?

If there are alot of people still playing it, and it's a assload of fun, why switch to an expensive console that requires an HDTV?
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer