Author Topic: Wouldn't you like to play with this?  (Read 8459 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Wouldn't you like to play with this?
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2005, 09:40:41 AM »
Currently the battery life of GCPortables is around two hours with a cheap ass battery, some proper work on that should give us at very least PSP levels.

Offline La_Mard

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 10:49:56 AM »
hudson, why don't you read Mario's first post in this thread then reconsider your stance on this posibility.

Include the "there's a massive rumor floating around the internet" quote by Reggie and I do not think that it takes much more to be quite sure that this new GB might very well be capable of doing quite a bit.

there are risks both ways, but it seems much more reasonable to take the risks for the benefits in Mario's post than to fold to the in-the-long-run petty issues you stated. The win-win-win situation for third parties having not just one system, but three possible systems to sell their software on, one with an already pre-existing userbase is more than reason enough.  It's also an extremely brilliant political move for Nintendo considering their needing to win third-parties back over.

Besides, backwards compatibility isn't 100% guaranteed to be problem-free, but if it's even remotely close it's a much better thing than none at all.

Oh, and also I just don't care for your cynicism.  There are always pros and cons but the pros definitely win in this case and one should actually take them into consideration as well before coming to a conclusion.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 10:52:30 AM »
Plus, they WOULD make alot of money...

Like you said they would have to optimize old games for the new generation...that takes time and money. They could possibly sell just as many to those who haven't pick up a Cube (there are lots), while not hassling themselves with the things needed to make a new game.

Also, I for one haven't bought all the good games for the cube, and I'm thinking that I won't till at least the launch of the REV. Having a PGC to play around with would make for an even greater incentive.

Plus, the time not spent making new 'old' games, could be better spent making completely new games that I would be very interested in.

As for the Multiplayer aspect, I'm hoping at least that the solution could be based on the Wavebird. Make each hand-held a 'wavebird' in essence and you've solved HALF of the problem. The other problem would be to somehow have each screen used.

I bet people would still buy the old multiplayer games due to the fact that the REV can play them. I don't expect this to be launched until after the REV (I did at one point think it could be launched next year, but that's not a good idea). And if the REV sells through, having the next gameboy with GC compatibility would be a marvelous link between consoles.

People will already have the ability to play the same games on the REV with no additional costs. That alone can make up for no  old multiplayer support. In addition, Nintendo is just as known for it's Single-Player games as it is for it's Multi-player games (even more so this generation). So I doubt there would be any major complaints.

It works anyway you slice it (though multiplayer is a bit off). I've said it before and I'll say it again, the ONLY problems is the cosmetics and overall effecientcy of the product.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline La_Mard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 11:26:19 AM »
About multiplayer...

could it be at all possible, that they could (since there would have to be a cartridge slot for backwards compatibility) make a boot-cartridge to initiate WiFi in the new GB that would in essence, make the system use other close-by GB's as if they were simply other controllers plugged into the Gamecube? (when it came to Gamecube games)

Hmm....why not?

Wouldn't that solve the multiplayer issue with backwards compatibility?

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2005, 11:53:47 AM »
The problem is the screen would still be split 4ways in a FPS and on a little sreen that would big suck. Mutilplayer wouldn't be that be of a deal if this thing were true. The Ds can settle my multiplayer fix, while this would allow me to play all those old games I never picked up or didn't finish(Beyond Good and Evil) on my shift at work for those 12hr shifts I work. GameCube SP, yeah that's about right. The more we climb in this thread, the higher I will fall from when this ends up being fake.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline La_Mard

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2005, 12:01:43 PM »
Yeah, but it's better than nothing at all and in say SSB:M it wouldn't matter but then again that is just one game (but it is the best-selling GC game also)

The picture is definitely fake but I do believe that Nintendo does have the intention to make this happen and knows that it would only serve to benefit them. I wouldn't worry.

EDIT: I just saw Don'tHate's wavebird comment. That does sound like a better idea. Good one DH!

Also, you could have a zoom feature for the multiplayer screen problem. It would have to be not unlike TV's when it comes to attempting to fix formatting differences but then it would have to be more advanced and allow for you to actually make the square or rectangle that would be made to fit in the entirety of the screen. Of course there would be the problem of pixelation but on a tiny screen it wouldn't make too much of a difference.  The only real problem would be when the match is over and it reverts back to a menu screen (you wouldn't be able to see it all) or even any little cinematics or replays during gameplay (ala Mario Tennis). This seems impossible...

...but then again there could be a quick-switch button to switch back to normal for that little amount of time, then to switch back for more gameplay!

Again, not perfect but better than nothing.

Sweet.