Author Topic: Two New Wii RPGs Revealed  (Read 13671 times)

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Two New Wii RPGs Revealed
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 08:47:47 AM »
Someone has edited in the new Xenoblade music with the original trailer for Monado. The music makes all the difference I think. What do you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNvFp4jVU6U&feature=player_embedded

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 06:35:23 PM »
If Last Story is a bonafide hit it will destroy Final Fantasy in sales because the Wii just has so many more systems out there.  It would essentially destroy the idea Square has about spending who knows how much on FF as well as letting the former creator rub it in their faces.  Obviously a big if since we don't know jack about the game yet.

The cynic in me believes that it will be a super-generic JRPG that will be poorly marketed to a Wii audience that's pretty iffy on RPGs to begin with, and as a result it will sell abysmally.

I'd love to be proved wrong, however.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »
I hope you are proved wrong.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 07:29:16 PM »
John Lindemann: Cynic, Troll and beloved Director of NWR. ;)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 04:50:21 PM »
If Last Story is a bonafide hit it will destroy Final Fantasy in sales because the Wii just has so many more systems out there.  It would essentially destroy the idea Square has about spending who knows how much on FF as well as letting the former creator rub it in their faces. 
Never happening.  It doesn't matter how good the game is, FF XIII will sell better because of the name alone.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 05:49:21 PM »
I would expect Last Story will need several different titles in its lineup before it can truly challenge Final Fantasy in any way. And they all have to be pretty good.

There are people who grew up with Final Fantasy who will never abandon it.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »
The Last Story 2: End of Tales

The Last Story 3: Final Fantasy

Lets make it happen Nintendo.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 11:53:25 PM »
For some reason I've never been a fan of modern RPG's, they just don''t seem to have the same magic as the ones on the Super NES

I agree. The Super NES RPGs were set in a magical fantasy world of Myths and Magic, which was really cool. Then came the PS1 era and the RPGs for that system and every system thereafter were an enormous disappointment to me. Instead of being medieval myth and magic rpgs, we had steampunk JRPG crap. So I really lost interest in RPGs at that point...
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 12:14:18 AM »
For some reason I've never been a fan of modern RPG's, they just don''t seem to have the same magic as the ones on the Super NES

I agree. The Super NES RPGs were set in a magical fantasy world of Myths and Magic, which was really cool. Then came the PS1 era and the RPGs for that system and every system thereafter were an enormous disappointment to me. Instead of being medieval myth and magic rpgs, we had steampunk JRPG crap. So I really lost interest in RPGs at that point...

I'm quite on the flipside (yeah, big surprise...I know): Medieval Fantasy is played to ****ing DEATH in RPGs.  I like seeing steampunk/futuristic/modern-style RPGs, as I haven't been playing them for over 20 years.  Stuff like Personas 3-4 and Valkyria Chronicles (which is a WW1-style RPG) are a real breath of fresh air in the RPG genre, and I'll be quite content if we see that become the standard for many years to give the Medieval Fantasy time to become interesting again.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 12:37:59 AM »
Can't wait for VC2--I know I kept that damn PSP for something.  In case you missed VC it was made by Overworks the developer for Skies of Arcadia so it has the "warm" feel to it when it comes to game characters.

And I just loved Persona 4 (not so much 3 but that's because I played them out of order).

Kinda wish more RPG's took the "bad" route instead of being always leaning on being "good".  Wouldn't mind buring down the villages instead of being the poor sad who just had a bon-fire start to his adventure.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, 01:46:23 AM »
I don't think it is necessarily the themes which made Super NES RPGs more engaging. There's... another quality to them, but I'm not quite sure what.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 01:51:39 AM »
Why do all RPG's need to have swords?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 01:54:33 AM »
Because if there's a gun involved then it is considered a shooter.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2010, 04:23:23 AM »
Wasn't VC on the PS3? Why is the sequel coming to PSP? VC was one of the incentives I had for eventually getting a PS3 so it will be a bummer that the sequel isn't on it.
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2010, 06:21:22 AM »

Mass Effect says hello.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2010, 12:12:54 PM »
For me to like an RPG I have to like the story, the setting and the characters.  The problem is a lot of RPGs star whiny teenagers that I don't relate to while the stories are cliche and make really DUMB attempts at drama that come across as the sort of thing a 14 year old would write.

In Skies or Arcadia I liked the characters and the whole pirate theme so it worked.  I've got to get Valkyria Chronicles.  Super Mario RPG is also one of my favourite games because I like Mario and like the world in that game.  Mario isn't some brooding emo teenager.  Actually the best RPGs usually star outright HEROES who want to do the right thing instead of spineless pussies who only think of themselves.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2010, 12:57:23 PM »

Mass Effect says hello.

That's not exactly the best example, as many would argue that Mass Effect is, in large part, a shooter. The Fallout games would probably be better to point out. But this whole discussion seems to be ignoring Western RPGs and focusing solely on JRPGs.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
Ian Sane's post made me realize something: in my three favourite RPGs (Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG), the protagonist never speaks a word. I wonder if this has something to do with the charm that I find missing from most recent RPGs...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2010, 06:57:48 PM »

Mass Effect says hello.

Resonnance of Fate (End of Eternity) and Valkyria Chronicles also say "hello".  Granted, those are tactical strategy RPGs but whatever.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2010, 07:27:39 PM »
It's funny how my facetious remarks tend to get more responses than anything else I say...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2010, 08:23:45 PM »
I'd love an RPG that mimic the business world. Pen is mightier than the sword, indeed.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
Have you heard of a Super NES game titled AeroBiz? You operate an airport in that game, so some might call it a "business RPG."

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2010, 11:06:31 PM »
I was thinking more like you start as a small business and try to transform it into a multinational conglomerate.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2010, 12:54:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure there are a few of those surrounding different businesses on the PC. There is a mall sim and a pizza/restaurant one I can recall but their names escape me. I think they had Tycoon in the name so I'd check out that line of games.

Also there was that Harvest Moon game on WiiWare that was a store-sim.
My Game Collection

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2010, 02:07:29 AM »
The more I read about these two games the more excited I am for them. It has been some time since I've really been into RPG's. I used to love them during the SNES era, and with Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and FF4 things were good. I went through a little bit of a return to RPG's with FF9 which I followed up by playing 7 and 8, but FF4 stayed my favourite FF. I'm actually playing through FF10 right now, but I have a lot of the same problems with it that Ian has indicated.

I think that part my problem with RPG's is that the main character seems to always wonder whether or not they should do the right thing, but their never seems to be any question about what the right thing is. I would like to see a story where the main character isn't debating whether or not they should be the hero, but facing choices that are morally ambiguous and not being sure about what the "right" course of action is. There was a little bit of that idea in FF4, and I think that is why I find it to be the most compelling FF.

The video for xenoblade looks pretty neat, and I'm interested to see what this previous creator of FF can come up with for The Last Story. With a name like "The Last Story" they are clearly setting the game up as a competitor for final fantasy, and I think that competition breeds the best innovations and most exciting games. I look forward to getting sucked back into the RPG genre again, I hope that these games turn out to be good and I'm not excited for nothing.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale