Author Topic: Dragon Quest IX - Release Date 7/11 - U.S.  (Read 52476 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Dragon Quest IX - Release Date 7/11 - U.S.
« on: June 16, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »
I will update this later, and I don't know if there is a thread on this game yet or not, but I don't have time to look

Quote from: NeoGAF
Earlier today, an event was held that confirmed that the game is finished, and that the 7/11 date will hold. No more delays!  Also at that event, a 7-minute-long promotional video was shown that shows off tons of stuff.

That video is up on the official site now.
Direct link: http://dl.square-enix.co.jp/dqix/ba4t1z7gw.flv
YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyXMmbAQX5A&fmt=18

Looks really good,  but no word on a US/EUR release date yet.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:19:34 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest IX - Release Date 7/11 - JPN
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »
So after a million years (not acutal wait) they are finally releasing the damn thing?

Wow, took them long enough. Not really buying it though because traditional RPGs aren't my cup of tea (don't mind a couple of Secret of Mana playthroughs or TOS once in a while).
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:50:10 PM »
Figuring they would wrap the game up at the end of June, that would give them probably five months to localize it in time for a December U.S. release.  Do it Squeenix, do it!
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline grantimus

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
    • Operation Rainfall
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:46:24 PM »
Yes!  We can all hope for a holiday release!  S-E needs to bump the localization into overtime for that to happen though... any later than Q1 2010 and I'mma be pissed!

I want this game!
Now Playing: Mega Man 3, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
Go Cardinals!
Nintendo is my girlfriend, except for my real girlfriend

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01:34:21 AM »
I bet all it's million "holy ****" sales are going to be mostly in the land of the rising Disaster: DOC.

Yes, i'm still bitter as **** we didn't get Disaster
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:37:42 AM »
Figuring they would wrap the game up at the end of June, that would give them probably five months to localize it in time for a December U.S. release.  Do it Squeenix, do it!

I really hope you are right, I wonder if they have been translating it as they've been creating it?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:29:28 AM »
I bet all it's million "holy ****" sales are going to be mostly in the land of the rising Disaster: DOC.

Europe?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 05:24:15 PM »
Is this really the only Dragon Quest IX thread we have?  We're bad people.  :(

So here's a thought--now that Nintendo is publishing DQIX in America does this mean no $5 Square-Enix tax?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 05:48:47 PM »
There could be no squareenix tax although now that i think about it most Nintendo DS titles that were published by Nintendo cost 34.99 I believe.
Pokemon, Spirit Tracks.
Exceptions to this is things like Brain age,Elite Beat Agents and Rythem Heaven.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 07:38:44 PM »
Hence why I said $5 tax and not $10.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 01:27:54 AM »
I'm still pissed. It's been 8 months since it came out in Japan and we still don't even have a release DATE. Honestly, what is the hold-up?
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 02:32:20 PM »
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that it'll be August 17 or August 24.  Maybe the week before that, but any later and it's not Summer.

That's unless they do a Sunday release, which they probably won't, but it's a possibility.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest IX - Release Date 7/11 - U.S.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=23714
DRAGON QUEST IX: SENTINELS OF THE STARRY SKIES LAUNCHES ON JULY 11

Character Customization, Cooperative Multiplayer Adventuring and an Epic Story Make for a One-of-a-Kind Nintendo DS Experience

REDMOND, Wash., May 19, 2010 - Launching in the United States on July 11, DRAGON QUEST® IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™ for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems lets players enjoy an adventure that is entirely their own, yet can be shared with others anywhere, anytime. Developed by Square Enix Co., Ltd., this game has already become a phenomenon with players of all ages and backgrounds in Japan, with more than 4.2 million units sold.

Before setting off on their adventure, players can create their own heroes, deciding how they would like their face, hair and clothing to look. As the story unfolds, players become stronger, smarter and more powerful, and can customize companions who join their group. Players will have fun discovering more than 1,000 pieces of clothing, armor, weapons and other items that will provide them with a unique appearance and special abilities. Players can also change the class of their character at any time, choosing from a variety of vocations that will affect their abilities and strengths in the game.

In DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, players begin their adventure as a city guardian who is sent to retrieve a sacred tree's fruits, which have the power to grant wishes. Players travel the world, conquer fearsome monsters and unravel an epic storyline. During their journey, players will encounter mighty opponents in fast-paced battles, and also interact with a colorful cast of characters.

DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies contains special modes that let players share their adventure with others, allowing up to four players to team up via a local wireless connection and experience the fun of tackling challenging monsters and dungeons cooperatively with their own characters. Players can even leave the game active in their backpacks, pockets or purses and still interact with other players via an interactive "Tag Mode." Information about players' characters can be wirelessly transmitted to others, and treasure maps and customized greetings can be exchanged automatically by players who come within range of one another when their games are set to Tag Mode.

Players looking to enjoy a variety of different game activities can take on special side quests. Some of these quests will be earned by progressing through the game, while additional quests will be made available for free download for players with broadband Internet access after the game launches, providing hours of additional content for virtual adventurers to enjoy either on their own or with friends. Some downloadable quests will continue the main storyline of the game, while others offer standalone missions.

"DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies is one of the biggest games ever to hit Nintendo DS, with an incredible amount of content for every kind of player to enjoy," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "This new game has all of the elements of an instant classic: customization options, a great story, and the ability to share a nearly limitless experience with friends."

For more information about DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, please visit dragonquest.nintendo.com.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™ home console and Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 3.4 billion video games and more than 565 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™ and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company's website at www.nintendo.com.

Europe gets is July 23 and here is the box art

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:58:14 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 12:11:28 PM »
What was the battle system in this game like again?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 12:17:58 PM »
I don't remember, but I'm disappointed that they didn't include online multi for the US release.
might as well should just be a single player game otherwise.

maybe someone will make an online portal like that MarioKart GC smoke and mirrors advertising disaster that never turned into much.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
No online multi?

SE succeeds at failing, AGAIN.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 12:44:19 PM »
They are actually including the number in the PAL release this time? With Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, they left out the number (I think they said it was because that was the first game in the main series to actually get a PAL release).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »
Well this is great! July 11th can't come soon enough.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »
im with ningurl, y no online multiplayer? still gonna get the game though i love my some rpg
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 06:43:30 PM »
The Japanese version didn't have online multiplayer, either.  You could connect the game to Square-Enix, they'd collect gameplay data, and if enough people did it over some period of time, they'd give a reward.  After that, there was a little bit of similar-styled DLC, I believe, but I'm not certain of that.  The game never had true online multiplayer, so I'm not surprised it wasn't added in here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »
But Japan and the US are two very different social climates.

In Japan everyone is likely to carry their DS with them and hand out in public places and game together.

In the US, everyone is much more spread out and the DS may not be carried around by Most people that didn't already plan on a long wait somewhere where they have time to game and there are likely to be more people with a DS and the same game.

Japan is much more condensed that the US since they are like the population of the entire West coast (PST) states(and the states touching those) crammed into the land mass of California. it's a very different audience and we require an online component for that kind of multiplayer.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »
Except the last game Square-Enix tried to put online multiplayer in, and even made it cross-platform compatible, was FFCC Echoes of Time, and as far as I'm aware, the game wasn't a break-out hit or anything.  Didn't Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days perform a bit better without online multiplayer?  Yeah, I agree the game could have more potential with a major online component, but the cost of adding it in at this stage probably isn't worth it, at all, and I couldn't see SE deciding to do it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »
I don't think Echoes of Time is a good example, I don't recall seeing any advertisement at all for the game. The fact that the Wii version was basically a DS port (and looked like it) didn't help either.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:59 PM »
They spent 1 year to the day bringing it over. They've spent all kinds of money on extra DLC missions/quest/dungeons for Japan already.

Just seems like so much wasted time to not spend a few moths tweaking the local multi to also work as online multi so the US and EURO crowds can get the same amount of gaming out of the game as the Japanese did.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 01:20:50 PM »
After the Nintendo E3 conference I've put my pre-order in for this game at Amazon.com. I had no clue there was that level of customization and items in the game. My experience with Dragon Quest has been limited to Dragon Warrior on the NES (was to young at the time to really play it properly) and Dragon Quest 4 on the DS but I bought that more for my mom then anything else since she's an RPG fan as well but sticks to handhelds as she doesn't really like non-2D games. So I never really paid much attention to the franchise. Glad I watched the the conference though or I really would have not given this a second look. I hope when it does come time to advertising the game Nintendo makes a point of pointing out all the options within the game.