Author Topic: Red Steel 2 Megathread!  (Read 130212 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Red Steel 2 Megathread!
« Reply #500 on: March 23, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
First hour impressions bullet points!

- Don't skip the opening cut scene it has a different ending than the E3 demo last year.
- Doing the fps part standing up feel a little weird.
- Swords moves are definitely "arcadey" but still accurate enough slice the head off a wooden cutout or juggle a cactus.
- Found a secretish spot in the first area!
- Getting cash is like Link getting rupees. Smash everthing, the leave, come back, and smash some more!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 23, 2010, 10:44:49 PM »
Stratos can you be my boyfriend temporarily?

GP loves'em and leaves'em CONFIRMED
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 23, 2010, 11:29:27 PM »
The quality of this game far eclipses the first one. I thought the controls were very balanced and responsive. Although it made my arm and shoulder hurt after playing for about three hours.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline kbaker2002de

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 23, 2010, 11:36:02 PM »
So far this game is SO GOOD.  I think the action and motion is very good and the graphics are absolutely amazing.  It is really impressive what just being able to run at 60 FPS can do for a games look.  As for negs, I would say the areas could be more open world and larger, but I am early in the game so far.  Very impressed, it won't sell great, but it should.

FYI, spreading the word, I bought mine at Costco for $54 for Red Steel 2, Wii Motion Plus and Red Steel 1.  Since I never played it I was quite happy to have it tag along for free.
"I'm a powerful demonic force! I'm the harbinger of your doom! And the forces of darkness will applaud me as I STRIDE through the Gates of Hell carrying your head on a pike!!"

"Stride?"

"All right then ROLL! ROLL thought the gates of hell!
Must you take the fun out of everything?"

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 24, 2010, 12:36:56 AM »
Excellent game. . I will say though that I've had to play standing up. Can't seem to play correctly sitting down. If I had a different chair that might be different as I have a computer chair and not a couch (Wii is in my bedroom). That's not a problem since it's very entertaining. Only sat for some of the cut scenes while characters were talking. You have to be very deliberate I'm finding with your sword attacks. Taking your time is good thing and the best way to play I'm finding as you have to make sure you do swing correctly if you are doing heavy attacks. You can swing quickly but attacks are light. The video clips they include in the game to show you the movies really help. Pay attention to them.

Downward slashing seems a bit iffy at times I found but then again it could have been me. I felt things weren't being read correctly so I played my TV (flat HDTV LCD like) on a box I had. My TV stand is sort of low. This brought up the sensor bar on top of the TV to the level of my stomach. Things improved greatly. I think I need to go back and pop in EA Sports Active because there were times when things weren't registering correctly and the height of the bar could have been the issue there. The only other game where I've had to stand with the remote so I guess this is why I haven't noticed this problem. Need to pop in Wii Sports Resort as well.

The voice acting is cheesy but in a good way. Music is great. I really hope this does well sales wise and we get a Red Steel 3 and it doesn't get moved from the PS3 or 360.

Sword fighting works best when you target enemies. You can swing while in pointer mode but it causes the camera to go crazy. Locking on to a target (you're able to target others by pressing Z) causes the camera to lock in place and makes sword fighting possible (well it's possible without it so I guess enjoyable is a better word.). Switching between sword and gun is very smooth. The game does want you to do swing the remote correctly as I said. That matters more it seems. You can change the sensitivity too but there are three presets available as well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:43:37 AM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 24, 2010, 01:57:06 AM »
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!? TODAY IS THE 23RD!?!?!?!?! I thought today was the 22nd!

In the words of Mario "OHHH NOOOO!"

Man I wsa ready to get this game day one! I just thought it was tomorrow!

I just saw the commercial on Cartoon Networks adult swim.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:45:32 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 24, 2010, 03:57:43 AM »
I so want this. But my credit card says I have too much debt already, what shall I do?
Get a boyfriend who likes to buy you stuff. That's what I'm still hoping to find.

My wallet says true dat...but I'm glad my girl appreciates it.  ;D She even offers to pay sometimes. We actually hunt the stores about once a week now to try and find me a copy of Wii Fit Plus. We went today and got a DS Lite and New Mario Brothers for her little sister's B-Day.

...Depends...what do I get out of it? Endless Ocean 2 dates? ;)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 24, 2010, 04:08:24 AM »
I so want this. But my credit card says I have too much debt already, what shall I do?
Get a boyfriend who likes to buy you stuff. That's what I'm still hoping to find.

My wallet says true dat...but I'm glad my girl appreciates it.  ;D She even offers to pay sometimes. We actually hunt the stores about once a week now to try and find me a copy of Wii Fit Plus. We went today and got a DS Lite and New Mario Brothers for her little sister's B-Day.

Oh no you don't! Just because I don't want Stratos doesn't mean that you can have him.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 24, 2010, 04:25:22 AM »
Ladies, ladies. There's plenty of me to go around!
...*POKES BELLY*
And at the rate I'm eating Taco Bell now there may be even more of me... ;)

My copy of the game might not come until April. It's not shipped yet. :(

Not like I'd play it before April much anyways  ;D
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 24, 2010, 04:28:44 AM »
Quite you, this issue doesn't concern you. And give me that taco. You'll get it back after you do 25 chin-ups.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 24, 2010, 04:30:52 AM »
lulz

*looks for pic of creepy birdo costume in latex but soon gives up*
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 24, 2010, 04:35:55 AM »
But...my taco...now I'm really hungry. Maybe I should cook some rice :P
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 24, 2010, 11:44:13 AM »
Less taco love triangles, more Red Steel 2

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 24, 2010, 11:50:08 AM »
But I tried to get the thread back on track. The ladies didn't listen.

I saw this game in the store yesterday. I wonder how well this sells first week. 100k? 200K?
My Game Collection

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #514 on: March 24, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 24, 2010, 12:04:44 PM »
20k and one penny

I just realized I can shoot the red squares on lockers and boxes to open them, lulz.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 24, 2010, 01:06:38 PM »
I saw this game in the store yesterday. I wonder how well this sells first week. 100k? 200K?
Depends entirelly on how well reviews treat the game and how much it was advertised. Red Steel 1 wasn't great but sold well due to the fact that it was the first FPS on the Wii.

Red Steel 2, however, stands besides Metroid Prime 3 in quality. Hopefully it sells more then MP3, hell beating RE4Wii would be awesome.

ANYWAY, IGN review time go!

IGN REVIEW: 8.6

Quote from: Craigy Waggy's Score Break Down
bolded parts Peachy commentary
8.5 Presentation
The original style and story is something that can't be missed. There are tons of control options to tweak to suit your style. Tons? If he means the sensitivity, then it's valid. Didn't noticed any button options though...
9.5 Graphics
Awesome visuals, running at 60 frames per second. Some of the best seen on the Wii -- passerbys may confuse it for a 360 or PS3 game. ahahahahaha no they won't. Not enough bloom and brown.
9.0 Sound
The atmospheric soundtrack is awesome. Voice acting is appropriately cheesy but it's the music that's king here. At least they aren't shoving one-liners down your throat. Hi Bayonetta!
8.0 Gameplay
The game runs into some issues of misreading some motions, but for the most part we're looking at one energetic action game. You are probably doing it wrong Craigy Waggy. I'm having not problems, and I thank Wii Sports Resort for that.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
It's not super long but it's an appropriate dozen hours from start to finish. Challenge mode extends that. I don't know if I want to mock this or not. I haven't play enough of the game yet.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 24, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »
Ronaghan Review (tm) is up http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=22797

9.0 for Neal Appeal (tm)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 24, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
Ronaghan Review (tm) is up http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=22797

9.0 for Neal Appeal (tm)

LOL

So, while I imagine you'll have to wait until you finish to fully reach a conclusion, do you guys agree with me? As I've said before, I love this game...and I appear to be on the higher end of the review spectrum with this game. I'm interested to see what everyone else says about it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 24, 2010, 06:09:41 PM »
It's positive post-launch hype talk like this that makes me wish I bought games in stores and not through Amazon. I so want to play it now. I almost picked it up yesterday when I was in Best Buy but I only saw the M+ version and I assumed it would be too late to cancel my pre-order.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 24, 2010, 11:38:54 PM »
I honestly have no clue how well this game will sell. If I remember rightly, the first game sold a million copies. It got some very mixed reviews, though most places didn't score it higher than a 7. I can see people who felt Red Steel had potential buying the sequel, with the hope that it improved upon the game making it great. However, I can also see people passing on the game due to the perceived poor quality of the first one. There is also the Motion Plus accessory to consider, I'm sure people will buy this game simply because they want more games which use the accessory.

How many units did The Conduit sell during its first month? Wasn't it around 70,000? That's my guess for first month sales for this.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #521 on: March 25, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »
The first game was also a massively hyped launch game, as I recall. It's not going to top 20 in the US in March (because let's face it, March is freaking insane) but I think 70k is about right.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #522 on: March 25, 2010, 05:37:17 PM »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 25, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »
Infernal!

I'm still waiting for the ProGurl review.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #524 on: March 25, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »
I'll be lucky to play it this month, or even unwrap it this week.

I'm more focused on getting my site media backlog **** straightened out before playing anything.  The appearance of gameplay videos will probably precede any impressions.

And since California furloughs seem to be over, I don't have 3 Fridays/month off anymore.