Author Topic: Red Steel 2 Megathread!  (Read 130214 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Red Steel 2 Megathread!
« Reply #425 on: February 24, 2010, 02:40:05 AM »
This is technically a Red Steel 2 interview, but there is hardly any talk of RS2 until like the end of it. I honestly don't know where to even post this since it really doesn't have too much to do with RS2 but I it isn't a 3rd Party Shame moment either even though it kinda addresses the topic. well anyway, here you go.

Jason VandenBerghe Creative director of Red Steel 2 speaks on Mature Gaming on Wii
VideoGamesDaily: Thereā€™s been a lot of noise in the past few months about whether ā€œhardcoreā€ gaming can succeed on the Wii. Iā€™m sure itā€™s something youā€™re asked about all the time.

Jason VandenBerghe: Yes, the great hardcore gamer jihad! Youā€™re right, I am asked about this quite a lot. So, do you want the short answer or the long answer?

VGD: Your choice!

VandenBerghe: I think many developers and fans want to pose the question as ā€˜there are no hardcore players on the Wiiā€™ or ā€˜there are hardcore players on the Wiiā€™. This question is not interesting to me because Iā€™m not making a game for hardcore players, Iā€™m making a game for gamers, which includes hardcore players ā€“ they are welcome to play the game as well, no problem, Iā€™m a hardcore player myself!

I donā€™t treat gaming as a religion, I treat it as sort of a way of life, and my main passion. So when I see people trying to outflame each other about whether youā€™re hardcore or not to play on the Wii, or whether real gamers can play on it, I just donā€™t care. The questions I have are: is the game fun, and does it have something interesting that I canā€™t do on another console.

I mean, thatā€™s the reason Iā€™ve bought every game that Iā€™ve ever purchased, it was something I wanted to play and it wasnā€™t available on any of the other consoles I have. This is a Wii game, so if you want to play it you have to have a Wii ā€“ but you know, I bet you probably do have a Wii. Because thereā€™s a lot of Wiis out there! Even if itā€™s unplugged and in the closet collecting dust.

The thing that I think has been scary for people is to watch these kinds of games come out and fail ā€“ MadWorld, Conduit, Dead Space: Extraction, all these games ā€“ but I think in each of those cases there are other circumstances, different in each case, that make it really tough to draw a real conclusion.

It is easy to make a self-fulfilling prophecy of this and say, ā€˜oh, hardcore gamers donā€™t exist on the Wii, so I wonā€™t buy one or I wonā€™t make games for the Wiiā€™. Thatā€™s completely possible, the games industry could decide to do that. But Iā€™m not doing that! Iā€™m making a game for gamers on the Wii, pretty much. And Iā€™m offering, I think, a completely new experience that you canā€™t get on any other title, and hopefully one thatā€™s fun.

To me, thatā€™s the magic combination: itā€™s got to be fun, I canā€™t get it somewhere else, and I want to play it.

VGD: Good mix. I think the other side of the coin is that the ā€˜deathā€™ of mature gaming on Wii is somewhat exaggerated. I havenā€™t got the sales figures in front of me, but some of the titles you mentioned performed quite well. MadWorld, for instanceā€¦

VandenBerghe: MadWorld did fine. Youā€™re the only dude Iā€™ve ever met who knows that! Exactly! If you paid attention to Segaā€™s press release, you would know that Sega understands what apparently no-one else in the gaming community understands, and that is if you put that kind of ultra-violence in a game, youā€™re going to sell 10 per cent. Period.

So Sega did what any responsible publisher would do and they moderated their marketing budget accordingly. They didnā€™t have to make commercials for MadWorld because everybody who wanted the game already knew it existed, because they had been marketing the crap out of it on the internet, where all of the hardcore players are who wanted to play it. Itā€™s not an accessible game. But it sold like 200,000 units, which was quite satisfying to Sega! The Conduit wasā€¦ I already have Halo, so why am I going to play that? The game was great, but yeah.

And with Dead Space: Extraction ā€“ again, fantastic, but a lightgun game? On a platform that has Umbrella Chronicles and House of the Dead? In the same year? I mean, already available on the same shelf? Thatā€™s tough, thatā€™s a tough sale. How many lightgun on-rail games do you really want to buy?

VGD: Itā€™s not quite FIFA or Pro Evo, is it?

VandenBerghe: No! Itā€™s a shallow genre. Then again, are those the limiting factors? I donā€™t know. Iā€™m no genius, I donā€™t have the final word on the market in these cases. But I think that it is a leap to take the performance of those examples and say ā€˜ergo, there are no gamers on the Wiiā€™. Iā€™m a gamer and Iā€™m on the Wii, youā€™re a gamer and youā€™re on the Wii ā€“ youā€™re here, talking to me, playing my Wii game!   Iā€™ve been talking to gamers for months and months and months who are playing on the Wii, who are excited to play this game on the Wii. I donā€™t think itā€™s worth getting all fired up about.

VGD: Most Wii developers are rather sick of the topic, I imagine.

VandenBerghe: Well, no I donā€™t get sick of it. If youā€™re in this business youā€™d better get used to being asked the same question twice. But I just donā€™t have any patience for the argument. I donā€™t have any patience for arguments that create sides in the games industry. Iā€™m not on anybodyā€™s side in the industry. Iā€™m on the side of good quality games. And everyone on every platform can make good quality games.[/url][/url]

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 24, 2010, 02:51:13 AM »
Someone understands. Who'd have thought?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 24, 2010, 03:18:35 AM »
"The questions I have are: is the game fun, and does it have something interesting that I canā€™t do on another console."

black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 26, 2010, 03:19:36 AM »
Boom! Headshot!

Nice Finishing moves with the guns in this new gameplay trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/complete-level-red-steel-2/62096

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 26, 2010, 11:48:38 AM »
Man it looks fun! This is going to be a good year for the wii!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 26, 2010, 01:50:42 PM »
I sure hope this game does not fail. I have high hopes for it, especially since I just preordered it and paid it off. Doo not let me down, Ubisoft. Lastly, I hope there are Rabbids in the game!
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 27, 2010, 04:52:24 AM »
I would laugh if I saw a rabbid in the game. Though this reminds me that I need to pick up Rabbids Go Home.
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 28, 2010, 11:17:59 PM »
Another awesome video of Jason. There is a female model in the game. http://www.ngamer.nl/nvideo-de-softe-kant-van-red-steel-2.html

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 04, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »
I hope this game is successful and if so, it might open the door for a Borderlands wii game. They both have similar graphics. :cool;
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: March 08, 2010, 01:32:19 AM »
Schnazzy artwork with character bios:

More Here: http://www.gamekyo.com/newsen35169_red-steel-2-des-artworks.html

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 18, 2010, 08:18:51 AM »
I've heard a lot of good things about this game recently.  I am really excited for some more motion plus sword fighting.
5 days!  This year is way too full of great looking Wii games.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 18, 2010, 08:20:26 AM »
I just figured out that the pre-order bonus is in-game special weapons, not actual physical replicas...kinda takes half of my reason for pre-ordering...
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 18, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 18, 2010, 12:50:02 PM »
They are advertising this?

Wow, NoA didn't even do that (okay, not like THAT, but still) with Metroid Prime 3. Impressive Ubi, your rep may not have fully imploded yet.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #440 on: March 18, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »
March Madness!  Red Steel 2 out next week!

But there's no flashlights in this game, me thinks.

D=
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 21, 2010, 09:53:15 PM »
Had to cancel my Amazon.com pre-order and decided to put it through Best Buy so I can just pick it up from the store. I'm getting tired of the shipping wait with Amazon. Free shipping would result it seems in the game being shipped out around the 29th.

The length of the game has me concerned a bit but there seems to be some extra modes outside of the main single player game so that could extend the length of the game.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 21, 2010, 10:02:14 PM »
Holy **** this comes out in 2 days.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 21, 2010, 10:24:29 PM »
I am betting on at least 9.0 ratings all over the place. I don't feel Conduited a all.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 21, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »
I just hope Ubisoft advertises this. We have a commercial I just hope they air it well. I do want to this to sell well. Hopefully I can  pick this up Tuesday.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 22, 2010, 05:01:06 AM »
Had to cancel my Amazon.com pre-order and decided to put it through Best Buy so I can just pick it up from the store. I'm getting tired of the shipping wait with Amazon. Free shipping would result it seems in the game being shipped out around the 29th.

The length of the game has me concerned a bit but there seems to be some extra modes outside of the main single player game so that could extend the length of the game.

You know that's typically an estimate, right? I get mine much sooner and it is shipped much sooner on all of my orders. The only time it didn't ship out early was when the item in question was a back ordered item they couldn't get in the end.
My Game Collection

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 22, 2010, 06:57:05 AM »
Thank GOD my spring break is next week.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 22, 2010, 01:41:59 PM »
It's this week people, time to get hyped! Any reports of it being in stores early?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #448 on: March 22, 2010, 02:54:05 PM »
It's been pirated early.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 22, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »
This game needs to be bought based on the sheer awesomeness of Jason Vandenberghe alone

Well, kids, for the record, I have no interest in your religious war. Iā€™m gonna go ahead and make what some of you might call a ā€˜real gameā€™ for Wii, put a bunch of stuff in it you canā€™t get on other platforms, and Iā€™m betting that one or two of you might evening be willing to try it, even if itā€™s on the Wii. See if I donā€™t!

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/22/interview-red-steel-2s-jason-vandenberghe/

HYYYYYYYYYYYYPE