Author Topic: The Wii HD Thread (no not that)  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Wii HD Thread (no not that)
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:08:46 AM »
For those of you who own a Wii and a HDTV I have a few questions.

1. Does your TV upscale the signal to whatever you have ? (720p 1080i 1080p)

2. Are there any tips I should know about calibrating the screen? (turn down the sharpness, adjust the tint, etc)

3. Is there anything out there better than component cables?

I am so very new to the HD world but I'm trying to get the best out of my purchase (Sharp Aquas 32" 1080p). Granted I already hooked the joint up and "Mario Galaxy is nasty good sex on the screen" but maybe I can do better and you guys always help me out when I need it. (remember when I asked for baby names back in '01)
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: The Wii HD Thread (no not that)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 01:16:00 AM »
1.  It should only be upscaling to 480p, yes?  For my 360 and PS3 it upscales up to whatever the game allows, though...

2.  Are you having trouble calibrating?  Mine works fine on the standard settings...

3.  Nope, not that you need much improvement over component cables... =)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:41:57 AM »
Thanks Bill,

It's not so much I'm having trouble with Wii Games its just some GameCube Games look a little fuzzy and I've always heard that Wii games look like ass in on a HDTV so I thought I would ask although they look great to me. It's so many damned bells and buttons I think I might F something up since I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Metroid Prime 3 looks like an entirely new game now. Maybe my old 27" philips wasn't as good as I thought.

Also, Does either the 360 or PS3 upconvert DVDs? I am sorry for asking in the Wii thread but "Bill" brought it up!
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 03:00:16 AM »
1. My HDTV runs my Wii at 480p
2. Turn your sharpness down to 0.
3. Not that I've used, I've heard some people using a converter box to output to VGA

PS3 does DVD upscaling over HDMI I believe.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 03:34:18 AM »
1.  It should only be upscaling to 480p, yes?  For my 360 and PS3 it upscales up to whatever the game allows, though...

Your partially wrong Bill, for PS3 you check  all resolutions you TV can run and the game will run at the highest it can. On 360 if you checked 1080p it will force everything to 1080p.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 03:40:05 AM »
3. Not that I've used, I've heard some people using a converter box to output to VGA

I use the Vdigi VGA Cable, no converter Box required. But I wholly doubt it any better picture than component cables are.

Personal tip, never buy converter boxes.  Also read the review I linked of the cable. There are many unsupported GC games.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 12:14:07 PM »
1.  If your TV is a fixed pixel display (pretty much anything other than good old-fashioned CRT), then it must convert any input signal to its native resolution.  The amount and speed of cleanup processing varies by model.  Generally, deinterlacing is the slowest part, so if you have a 'p' at the end of your HDTV resolution, you should have your Wii outputting in 480p.

2.  Picture quality is pretty subjective, but I like to turn sharpness all the way down and turn off all the fancy picture processing like digital noise reduction.

3.  There's nothing better than component cables for Wii.  There are "better" cable technologies, but they'd all be massive overkill for the Wii.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 12:40:41 PM »
Your partially wrong Bill, for PS3 you check  all resolutions you TV can run and the game will run at the highest it can. On 360 if you checked 1080p it will force everything to 1080p.

Ah, I haven't really messed around with the options for my PS3 too much...Maybe I went and checked everything without realizing it...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~