Author Topic: Should Final Fantasy 7,8 and 9 be on the DS?  (Read 5091 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Should Final Fantasy 7,8 and 9 be on the DS?
« on: January 18, 2010, 10:15:01 PM »
As a fan of both the  DS and the final fantasy series, I can not help but want final fantasy 7 through 9 on the DS. One might say "why would you want this to happen?," well, I have played the console versions to death and now would like to take the games on the go with my DS instead of the PSP.

I have a feeling that once final fantasy 5 and 6 are realeased for the DS(if, not when) Square Enix might give these games a go ahead on the nintendo system. However, Sony may own the publishing rights to these games, but Square might be able to work something out.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Should Final Fantasy 7,8 and 9 be on the DS?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:25:46 PM »
No. they should be WiiMade

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:50:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure Sony had enough to do with Final Fantasy VII that they have the power to ensure that it will never appear on a non-Sony platform.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 01:15:34 AM »
My answer for those Final Fantasies are simple: NO.

All three of them were flawed and unenjoyed. VII and VIII are the most over-rated crap games I've ever played.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 01:53:59 AM »
All three of them were flawed and unenjoyed. VII and VIII are the most over-rated crap games I've ever played.

How can FF VIII be over-rated when it's probably the second most hated (non-MMO) Final Fantasy in the entire franchise, second only to FF XII?

No, I'd rather Square made an original FF title perhaps in the spirit and tone of the more modern (meaning FF 7-10) numbered FF games.  I just recently finished replaying FF7, and while it holds up better than I thought it would (all these years of listening to whining FF7 fanboys made me sour on the idea of replaying the game), it hasn't aged well and FF VIII has probably aged worse because of that asinine junction/draw system and horrid story.  FF IX is a fine game, but of all the playstation-era FF games it has probably aged the worse because the PS1 was just incapable of good-looking textures and they really tried to go all-out on the textures in that game.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:59:05 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 03:01:12 AM »
I just want FFV to be remade for DS. I've been holding back on picking up the GBA version hoping they would release a DS version for it. If there's not an announcement by this Christmas then I'll give up and get the GBA one.

As for if VII, VIII, and IX should be on the DS, I'd say why not? The more the merrier. I wouldn't pick up VII, but I'd pick up the other two. I'd like to give VIII and IX a second chance.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:13:49 AM »
It would make FF DS owners happy and it would rake in tons of cash for Square-Enix. Is there really any reason for them NOT to do this?
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 12:10:10 PM »
http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2007/09/11/no-final-fantasy-vii-for-now/

Read this article, it gives a helpful hint at the possibility of FF 7 coming to the DS in the future. As for Sony not want ing the game ported to the DS, I think SE still owns the publishing rights to the game. Secondly, there might be only a certain amount of time for a game to be exclusive to one console and the time limit may be up.

As for the quality of FF7-9, they were favorites of the series. FF 7 was possibly my favorite of them all and I would love to be able to play the game on my DS.

Lastly, one may wonder why I do not just go out and buy a PSP and download the FF 7 via the PS3. Well, I really do not want to play the games on a Sony console. I have played theses games through several times and I am looking for a new experience from the Nintendo DS.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »
How can FF VIII be over-rated when it's probably the second most hated (non-MMO) Final Fantasy in the entire franchise, second only to FF XII?
Such is the weirdness of the Final Fantasy fanbase. Every PSX/2 FF game has a love/hate relationship. And aside from having the two most boring protagonists in a Final Fantasy game, and the fact the game can play itself, FFXII wasn't that bad.

Final Fantasy X, on the other hand...

Read this article, it gives a helpful hint at the possibility of FF 7 coming to the DS in the future. As for Sony not want ing the game ported to the DS, I think SE still owns the publishing rights to the game. Secondly, there might be only a certain amount of time for a game to be exclusive to one console and the time limit may be up.
Sony is protective because FFVII put the PSX on the map. While the game is pure utter fan fiction RPG, I can't deny the impact it made in the game industry.

Good AND Bad.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »
Can these really be done right on the DS with all the CD quality music and FMV in-tact?  I'm sure someone will say that it doesn't matter but I think if you're going to port a game you should do it right.  Plus this is Final Fantasy.  Strip out the bells and whistles and the games kind of suck. ;)

The PSP seems more appropriate since it has already handled PS1 ports like Final Fantasy Tactics.

I have played theses games through several times and I am looking for a new experience from the Nintendo DS.

If you want a new experience why are you asking for a damn remake?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 03:45:47 PM »
Ian: Compression has come a long way since they crammed RE2 onto a N64 cart.
I'm sure they could do something very respectable to FFVII for the DS.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 11:13:17 PM »
Do we really need fan fiction on the go... again? *hi star fox command*

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 11:59:42 PM »
Such is the weirdness of the Final Fantasy fanbase. Every PSX/2 FF game has a love/hate relationship. And aside from having the two most boring protagonists in a Final Fantasy game, and the fact the game can play itself, FFXII wasn't that bad.

Final Fantasy X, on the other hand...

Hey, watch it...FF X is my favorite in the franchise, followed by 6, 9, 7, and 5 (in that order).  :P: :   I'm actually replaying FF X right now, and it's still an excellent game.  In fact, it's rather pathetic that a game that came out in 2001 still looks better than 9/10 of the Wii library, just from sheer art direction.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:32:19 AM by broodwars »

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »
I don't remember any Wii games having annoying protagonists and hand holding.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »
I don't remember any Wii games having annoying protagonists and hand holding.

Last time I checked, Crystal Bearers is a Wii game and (from what I've seen) certainly features an obnoxious protagonist and hand holding.  :P: : :

As for FF X, Tidus is annoying at the start of the game but mellows out over the course of the game.  As for your "hand holding" comment, I assume you're referring to the linear nature of the game?  Well, you may not enjoy that but it is a core part of the story.  It's like complaining that Lord of the Rings isn't an open world action franchise.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:37:59 AM by broodwars »

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
I can forgive Crystal Bearers slightly because it's not a main-line Final Fantasy game.

As for FF X, Tidus is annoying at the start of the game but mellows out over the course of the game.  As for your "hand holding" comment, I assume you're referring to the linear nature of the game?  Well, you may not enjoy that but it is a core part of the story.
The core part bored me to tears.

It's like complaining that every Final Fantasy game released thus far isn't a Final Fantasy VII remake.
That sounds better.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:21:17 PM by Peachylala »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 02:16:58 PM »
I think for once, Peachy, we are in agreement on something: FF fans who whine that each new game in the franchise isn't a remake of FF7 need to shut the hell up.   :P:

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 05:20:33 PM »
People can have conflicting opinions, but everyone here can be united by the annoyance of the FFVII fanbase.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »
Ian: Compression has come a long way since they crammed RE2 onto a N64 cart.
I'm sure they could do something very respectable to FFVII for the DS.
I read that Angel Studios actually fit FFVII onto a N64 cart and Square said no because everyone was rightfully pissed at Nintendo back then and Square, for some reason, hated the idea of making money for doing absolutely nothing whatsoever. And I'm pretty sure that one of the main reasons FFVII needed 3 discs was because all the prerendered backgrounds were saved a large bitmap files.

Since the Wii probably won't get FFXV, I'd take remakes of VII-IX as consolation prizes. I loved IX. I wish someone at Square-Enix would realize that FF kind of lost its charm when they tried to turn the series into Star Wars.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 03:58:23 AM »
FF is like Star Wars now?...I don't know if I should now want to play all those FFs eagerly or flee in terror.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 04:22:33 AM »
FF is like Star Wars now?...I don't know if I should now want to play all those FFs eagerly or flee in terror.

Without having played FF XIII, the only FF I can say is definitely trying to be Star Wars right now if FF XII.  And if the thought of playing that game right now doesn't make you terrified, in the words of Yoda: "You will be...You will be..."