Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country Wii  (Read 78117 times)

Offline JoeFenix

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey Kong Country Wii
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2010, 03:01:06 AM »
This game is absolutely amazing, I'm currently doing a Shiny Gold Medal run and am up to world 5!

Here is my channel if you guys are interested in checking it out http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeFenix?feature=mhum

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2010, 11:26:13 AM »
Finally I'm back home to spend some quality time with the game! Oh man am I in love and all i've done was complete the first world and the first extra stage!

For the first time I seemed to have trouble with the waggle button press, so I experimented for a moment and realized the wiimote does not register side to side shaking when rolling or cart wheeling. After that I had no issue at all.

Even after I beat the game, I have to get back to my mothers house and play co-op with my brother all christmas break long. This is the co-op DK game i've waited years for.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »
Honestly, at this point I think Retro Studios is quite possibly Nintendo's best studio, better even than the Mario or Zelda teams.

I would say they are just as good as the Mario team, and the Kirby team. The Zelda team needs to step up their game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »
I haven't played DKCR yet, but I can't imagine it would change my mind that Retro isn't quite as good as EAD Tokyo. I'm also really hoping the Zelda team puts themselves back in the discussion with Skyward Sword.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2010, 07:43:57 PM »
I think the Metroid Prime games showed that Retro Studios are one of the best studios in the world (I haven't played DKCR yet).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2010, 01:43:55 AM »
I haven't played DKCR yet, but I can't imagine it would change my mind that Retro isn't quite as good as EAD Tokyo.

Pretty much this. And although I still haven't played DKCR yet (comes out here tomorrow), I doubt Retro will be able to do Donkey Kong as well as Tokyo EAD either.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 01, 2010, 06:43:36 PM »
I haven't played DKCR yet, but I can't imagine it would change my mind that Retro isn't quite as good as EAD Tokyo.

Pretty much this. And although I still haven't played DKCR yet (comes out here tomorrow), I doubt Retro will be able to do Donkey Kong as well as Tokyo EAD either.

I liked Jungle Beat, but I also like Returns better than Jungle Beat.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2010, 08:42:33 PM »
I am having a blast with this game! Makes me see just how stale the first DKC was. Don't get me wrong, I love the first DKC but there wasn't much to do as far as actions were concerned and there was very little incentive to seek out secrets. Diddy's Kong Quest solved allot of those problems. But seems like so many things are going on at the same time in this game at such a fast pace it can be delightfully over whelming!

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2010, 06:50:51 PM »
Ask Iwata interview.

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/donkey-kong-country-returns/vol1_page1.jsp

Lots of good stuff in this one and how the game was made.  Also some rather interesting things as well.

Iwata:  I remember telling you during the first meeting to treat the music with care. The music for Donkey Kong Country is in my iPod and I often listen to it even today. I don't often do that, but Donkey Kong Country had so many memorable tracks that I bought the soundtrack CD.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:05:01 PM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2010, 07:33:11 PM »
Question for those who've played the game:

Does any of the music come from DKC2 or 3? Or is it all from 1? Because I loved 2's music a lot more.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2010, 01:01:21 AM »

I liked Jungle Beat, but I also like Returns better than Jungle Beat.

I have played upto world 4, and I have to respectfully disagree.

The good thing is, this game is nothing like any of the original DKC games. I mean sure, it has Donkey Kong in it, but it also has great level design, amazing graphics and art direction, tons of personality and tons of incentive to replay levels. The original games had none of that, so I guess this is merely DKC in name alone.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »
Question for those who've played the game:

Does any of the music come from DKC2 or 3? Or is it all from 1? Because I loved 2's music a lot more.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe all the music comes from the first game with some original tracks as well.

I'm at the boss stage of the Factory and I have to say this game is brilliant! The Rocket Barrel in the factory?! Holy smokes what a thrill ride! I often go through each stage twice in a row to collect everything and that is just perfect. I can't say the same about the previous titles in the series. After a stage was done, I just wanted to be done with it. I've herd someone say on another site that this game doesn't capture the magic of the original, they are obviously high on nostalgia, because this game is better in just about every aspect.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »
Lots of good stuff in this one and how the game was made.  Also some rather interesting things as well.
Iwata:  I remember telling you during the first meeting to treat the music with care. The music for Donkey Kong Country is in my iPod and I often listen to it even today. I don't often do that, but Donkey Kong Country had so many memorable tracks that I bought the soundtrack CD.
I kind of feel like the most interesting thing about this quote is that Iwata admittedly owns an iPod. A pretty bold statement coming from the same person who said Apple is "the enemy of the future." Bill and Melinda Gates won't allow any Apple products into their home/floating castle fortress.
The good thing is, this game is nothing like any of the original DKC games. I mean sure, it has Donkey Kong in it, but it also has great level design, amazing graphics and art direction, tons of personality and tons of incentive to replay levels. The original games had none of that, so I guess this is merely DKC in name alone.
Well, yeah, by today's standards. In 1994, those graphics were Oh-My-God...

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2010, 08:50:36 PM »
Oh, I think they hold up okay today. Some of the backgrounds look worse than others, though.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »
I don't mind the standard controls that much, but this game is so much better with the Classic Controller. If you haven't installed the Homebrew Channel yet, it may be worth it just for this game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #240 on: December 05, 2010, 12:09:23 AM »
I think the wiimote-only control works just fine.  I've had to trouble.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #241 on: December 05, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »
Figure this might be of interest to you guys. The homebrew community has managed to get Classic Controller support out there for DKCR, and I decided to write up a quick story and guide on how to enable it.

The story is here (http://www.pixlbit.com/news?action=showNewsArticle&newsArticleId=1037), but if you don't care to read up on it, feel free to download the Ocarina cheats here (http://www.pixlbit.com/displayImage?type=external&path=CC_Support_DKCR.zip). To save the file, right click, choose Save Link As..., and name the file "CC_Support_DKCR.zip". After saving the file and unzipping it, you need only to drop the contained "codes" folder from either the v2 or v1 directory onto the root of your SD Card. If you already have a "codes" folder, simply take the file from the folder and drop it in your "codes" directory.

There are two versions of the game, so be sure to test both, starting with v2 as it seems to be more prevalent.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 06:08:59 PM by Nick DiMola »
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2010, 08:52:58 PM »
This game tries my patience so much sometimes. Classic Controller support isn't going to change the fact that this game is groin grabbingly difficult. I don't think I've beaten a single level without dying. The Caves collectively raped some 70 lives I had amassed while playing through the game getting the Kong letters and puzzle pieces. Still, there's nothing more satisfying than completing a stage with everything and never using the Super Guide.

I love Donkey Kong Country Returns. It's probably my favorite Wii game this year. I'll be going back to Super Mario Galaxy 2 after this and it feels like a downgrade: still awesome, just not as awesome. I think Retro has just spoiled me. They've yet to make a game I've hated. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is their worst game and even that's still pretty good.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »
Figure this might be of interest to you guys. The homebrew community has managed to get Classic Controller support out there for DKCR, and I decided to write up a quick story and guide on how to enable it.

The story is here (http://www.pixlbit.com/news?action=showNewsArticle&newsArticleId=1037), but if you don't care to read up on it, feel free to download the Ocarina cheats here (http://www.pixlbit.com/displayImage?type=external&path=CC_Support_DKCR.zip). To save the file, right click, choose Save Link As..., and name the file "CC_Support_DKCR.zip". After saving the file and unzipping it, you need only to drop the contained "codes" folder from either the v2 or v1 directory onto the root of your SD Card. If you already have a "codes" folder, simply take the file from the folder and drop it in your "codes" directory.

There are two versions of the game, so be sure to test both, starting with v2 as it seems to be more prevalent.

I wish you'd posted that earlier, since I spent the better part of yesterday searching through forum threads all over the internet trying to figure it out. Still, it was worth it: the game feels so much better with the classic controller.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #244 on: December 05, 2010, 11:09:30 PM »

I wish you'd posted that earlier, since I spent the better part of yesterday searching through forum threads all over the internet trying to figure it out. Still, it was worth it: the game feels so much better with the classic controller.

Sorry about that, I wish I would've found it earlier myself. Last night, Mop_it_up posted that she had heard such thing existed in the forums at PixlBit, so I set out this morning to figure it out when I saw the post. I already beat most of the game, just trying to finish up the extra 'K' levels to get access to the Golden Temple. While it won't be a huge help here, I've found it extremely useful in the Time Attack levels. Nothing beats continuous rolling by just holding the y button.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 06, 2010, 12:18:49 AM »
I'd only played a few levels into the game before I heard about it, so I get to play the whole thing with it. I didn't have much trouble with the standard controls, but I have no trouble at all with the CC.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 07, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »
Ok so I got 100% and would not mind playing through this game one more time. But Mirror mode? Come on! a few stages in particular seem nearly impossible!

One questions about later stages. Where is the cameo of Mr Game and Watch? And does one get anything after completing EVERYTHING? Other than self satisfaction?

Now that I am more or less done, I can finally spend quality time with Kirby, Sonic Colors, and finish up Goldeneye.

RomanceDawn

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 07, 2010, 03:07:21 PM »
Ok so I got 100% and would not mind playing through this game one more time. But Mirror mode? Come on! a few stages in particular seem nearly impossible!

Yeah, Mirror Mode really bothers me as an unlockable, as it's just lazy in a game where I wouldn't otherwise use that word.  When I heard about it, I thought maybe you had to play the stage in reverse, which could be interesting.  But it's just the same stage with everything flipped backwards, including things like the KONG letters, and 1-hit kills.  No Thank You.

One questions about later stages. Where is the cameo of Mr Game and Watch?

I can't remember exactly where, but I know I saw him on one of the later Factory stages, one of the ones that's constantly obscured by steam/fog.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 07, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »
He is in the first factory stage. The one where everything is black except rod the tie and hat due to all the smoke as brood wars said. He is in the background hammering something.

I'm also sure I saw a reference to another character too, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 08, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

I don't know if we talked about this, but would anyone have any theories on why so few Rare creations were used in this game? We had about 4 total I believe, DK, Diddy, Cranky, Rambi, and Sqwaks, so 5. I really don't care much about any Kong past Dixie, but some of the Kremlings were pretty interesting. I just thought it was interesting, seeing as Nintendo sure does not seem to mind Krunch or Funky Kong.

I would say Nintendo just wants to do away with anything Rare in a relevant DK title. But then again, to include 4 other Rare creations along with all that Rare music confuses me a bit. When jungle beat came out, I just figured Nintendo had enough with Rare's characters and music and wanted to wash away all that was them. Of course that doesn't stop smash bros, but I would really like to know from Nintendo how they went about their decisions.

RomanceDawn