Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 549780 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
I hope their 3d joystick is better than the PSP nub. That thing sucks.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
I bet this is what they were pumping all that R&D money into.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
If Nintendo willingly announced this and this early, I can only imagine what other surprises they have in store.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
They are selling tickets for the E3 HYPE Train. Gotta get your tickets early if you want a seat.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
They are selling tickets for the E3 HYPE Train. Gotta get your tickets early if you want a seat.
Seems to me.  Natal and Moves reveal are playing second fiddle now.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Hey everyone, I haven't been on for a while but this news coming straight out of left field has got me out of hiding lol. I think this "leak" is a very slick move on Nintendo's part. I believe now it puts Sony, in particular, in a very difficult position.

I'm sure Sony has been planning a PSP2 for some time now and this announcement is sure to poo poo over anything they could come out with. Lets say if Sony's plan for a PSP2 was just to up the graphics and features and slapin a touch screen to copy the DS's approach. Nintendo will already be ahead of them by having a touchscreen AND a 3d display, without glasses to boot. It'll make the PSP2 look like old news before it's even released. On the other hand, lets say that Sony is also planning a 3d display for PSP2, by the time they announce it, it'll seem as if they just copied Nintendo's approach. Also, we have to take in consideration that if Sony was not planning to have 3d in mind for the PSP2, they sure are now and more than likely they will implement it very hastly as to not fall to far behind Nintendo's release.

As for a launch lineup, I can really see the 5th gen Pokemon being one of them which would be HUGE imo, especially if they really evolve and streamline the franchise. It has already been announced that its in developement and in light of this announcement, I highly doubt it'll be released on the DSi. If its in developement, it has to be for the 3DS.

I would also love a new (and I do mean new, not rehash) Animal Crossing. There is so much they could do with that franchise that it kills me to see it in the form it is now. My dream has always been for Nintendo to incorporate the gameplay from their "Mario sports" lineup into Animal Crossing. That'll give everyone sports to play online with other when they are tired of the usual Animal Crossing gameplay. Make each town have its own bowling alley, tennis and soccor court, and a golf course unique to each town. This'll encourage people to visit other towns to play in thier unique golf courses. Scheduled tournaments could also be held. This is all neither here nor there though and better suited in another thread so I'll leave it at that.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
I would also love a new (and I do mean new, not rehash) Animal Crossing. There is so much they could do with that franchise that it kills me to see it in the form it is now. My dream has always been for Nintendo to incorporate the gameplay from their "Mario sports" lineup into Animal Crossing. That'll give everyone sports to play online with other when they are tired of the usual Animal Crossing gameplay. Make each town have its own bowling alley, tennis and soccor court, and a golf course unique to each town. This'll encourage people to visit other towns to play in thier unique golf courses. Scheduled tournaments could also be held. This is all neither here nor there though and better suited in another thread so I'll leave it at that.

That's a fantastic idea.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I think this is new Nintendo not old Nintendo.

What I mean is Nintendo is learning lessons fast in this market, and I believe Nintendo announced this so early, because Nintendo is gearing developers ready for launch in a year.  After E3 I see development kits being delivered fast and furious.  Nintendo wants this system to be launched with great support from 1st party and 3rd party. 

I predict launch games will be New Super Mario Bros. 2 (based on Super Mario 3)
Pokemon Generation 5 will be released in March with special features for Nintendo 3DS.
And Star Fox for the Nintendo 3DS as being launch games.

As for reasons to announce it now.  Yeah, it gets people excited and buzzing about Nintendo...and whatever Sony has up its sleeve (PSP2 is a given) the excitement is clearly in Nintendo's court.  However that means Nintendo can't let the media down.  E3 has to rock.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I think nintendo loves to eff with sony or something.

it's like "okay, time to shut up about Move already" annoucement.

I think the new pokemon title is going to be a launch title because they need killer app software and what sales more than Pokemon on handhelds?

Another give away? Wario Ware.  Nintendo has a habit of release a new wario ware game pretty close to launch of a new consoles Smooth Moves for wii, Touched! for DS and Snapped! all being either launch titles or really close to launch.  Wario Ware, I think, is basically like "here's some fun examples of what the hardware can do". 

And finally some cool apps/3DSiware games to show off some functionality too. 

Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
I almost wish I bought a new DS Lite instead of a DSi...almost. I love most of the d/l games I've gotten so far.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I think this is new Nintendo not old Nintendo.

What I mean is Nintendo is learning lessons fast in this market, and I believe Nintendo announced this so early, because Nintendo is gearing developers ready for launch in a year.  After E3 I see development kits being delivered fast and furious.  Nintendo wants this system to be launched with great support from 1st party and 3rd party.

Supposedly there are already lots of dev kits out and some devs said their games will be ready by the end of the year.

The way I see it, there are several reasons why Nintendo let the cat out of the bag early.

1. Nintendo's Fiscal Year 2010 ends in a week. Gotta get that stock up with a big announcement going into the new Fiscal Year.

2. This is the same way they revealed the DS, a document slipped out into the wild via the internet. It worked wonders for hype and mind share last time, so why not try it again. Why do they do this you ask?

3. Because they want to get the biggest shock out of the way early, let the internet speculate and come to terms with their biggest change so that by the time E3 comes around, we can all focus on the many other things that they have added w/o the 3D WOW factor overshadowing everything. Things like the multi-touch screen, the force feedback pen with pressure sensitive tip, accelerometers/gyros and the fact that PkmnG5 is a launch title.

4. Nintendo knows that Sony was planning to reveal the PSP2 since Sony is really bad at keeping secrets(not as bad as MS, but still bad). Revealing 3D w/o glasses just after Sony revealed 3D coming to PS3 with glasses is like punching Sony in the eye and shoving them in the snow.* Now Sony has 2 months to slap some ill-thought out response to the 3DS by hastily adding 3D to the PSP2 and look like a copy cat again, shove some other feature into the PSP2 that will be so last minute that it will be either really expensive and/or stupid or just completely mute Sony's own excitement for the reveal of their own product since all they added was more graphics and a touch screen.

*. Sony and every other TV manufacturer can't really follow up this tech yet and it makes them all look bad for pushing 3D to really expensive new TV's with expensive glasses that need to be charged and cross brand compatibility issues. Nintendo looks like some sort of wizard in the eyes of the consumer for doing exactly what all these BIG electronic makers have been trying to push, only much much much cheaper and without the glasses. They don't need to know the technical merits of why it's possible, they just know that Nintendo did it first and better(w/o glasses).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:24:36 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
I so hope this is good 3d and not some crappy knockoff.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
I think the new pokemon title is going to be a launch title because they need killer app software and what sales more than Pokemon on handhelds?
Mario does.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
"Starfox for 3DS"

Holy ****! How did I not think of that?! It's a perfect fit!

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
force feedback pen with pressure sensitive tip

I very much doubt the pen will be anything more than an inert chunk of plastic as with the first DS.

Quote from: BlackNMild2k1 link=topic=30917.msg595706#msg595706   date=1269444089
accelerometers/gyros and the fact that PkmnG5 is a launch title.

This is likely.  Nintendo should have a great relationship with their provider by now and can get these parts cheaply.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I want Nintendo to give us some word on if/how our DSiware stuff will be able to transfer to the 3DS before anything else, aside from tech specs.  I've invested in some really nice bit-sized games from the store.

Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
force feedback pen with pressure sensitive tip

I very much doubt the pen will be anything more than an inert chunk of plastic as with the first DS.

I only mentioned it since Nintendo patented a force feedback stylus and a pressure sensitive tip is the alternative to the pressure sensitive screen that the DS already has.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
I know the DS screen is technically pressure sensitive (although the range is so fine it's hard to use effectively).  Do any games use it (except to filter it light taps that might not have been intentional).  If not, why would they bother adding it to the pen?  I could see it being useful to an art program, but not any games.  It would be prone to breaking and expensive (same thing really).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
There was one homebrew game that used the pressure sensitivity (I posted it around here somewhere, I'll find and re-post the link for you eventually) but it was reported somewhere that even though Nintendo included the ability into the original DS/L they also had a clause in their SDK Dev agreement that they were "not allowed to do anything that would damage or shorten the life of the system" so the feature went unused by official devs.

edit:
Link to Tactile Feedback Stylus Patent

edit2:
Pressure Senstive Screen Rumor

The homebrew game that used it - Colors (Some pics may be NSFW)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:05:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Here is a really good mock-up:

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
A descent mock up, but there still has to be a border around the screens, so they can't be that close together.

Now, I love the Jurassic Park image and it makes me sad I haven't gotten a Jurassic Park 4 yet...or another Jurassic Park Video Game...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
DUAL SEIZURE
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Do you think this 3D will be able to properly show things coming out of the screen at you (like the above T-Rex for example) or only show depth like things in the background?  I have a feeling it will only be things going into the screen, not coming out.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
The t-rex isn't coming out it's showing depth like you said. That's what depth looks like.

I've had my fair share of working with 3D video and never have I made one come out of the screen. It's always just to show distance and depth more accurately (which works wonders for dissections).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:45:12 AM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I don't want coming out of the screen...that is lame.  I like the depth into the screen.  That was most of Avatar's tricks and it worked well.