Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 134  (Read 11126 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 134
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 04:40:24 PM »
Don't forget Guitar Hero World Tour and Rock Band 2.
The Godfather and all three Lego games were also nice.

All made with multiplatform in mind (including PS2). Geometry Wars is far from a high tech game.

Why does it have to matter? Do you not think that Force Unleashed or Godfather or any other game needed to be made along side the other/lead SKUs?

Godfather came out much later -a good six months later. Most of the Wii versions were developed by different studios. Pi did Rock Band 2 for Harmonix. Chrome worked on Force Unleashed.
In fact, Force Unleashed is radically different from the HD version in design choices and menu layout compared to the others. Considering things like this, I don't see how making a game with multiplatform in mind makes that much of a big deal.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 04:52:44 PM »
Godfather was created on the PS2 so getting it to Wii was not a big jump. Something like Dead Space would require some massive reworking and would most likely lose quite a bit that made the game good. Something like Force Unleashed was pretty much a physics demo so they could axe that.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »
A whole lot more than the Physics and Euphoria engine were cut from that game.
I played the 360 build at a friends house first and then a week later a Wii owning friend rented it and I played it with him. The difference was shocking to say the least. Even the menus for getting powers are vastly different.

I think a lot has to do with the developer's and publisher's goals. Are they just trying to make a financially cheap, watered-down port by trying to squeeze as much of the HD game into a Wii disk? Or rather are they adjusting to the Wii's strengths and weakness' in the case of Overlord? How they decide to go about making the Wii edition will determine what comes out of it.
Soul Calibur 4, RE 5, Prince of Persia and any number of other HD only games could flourish on the Wii as well. There are feasible engines from previous games on Gamecube and Wii that could be used as a basis for making successful Wii games.
My Game Collection

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 05:21:06 PM »
Over the last week or so I'm getting more excited for Dead Space Extraction's potential for not only the lighgun genre but as a solid continuation of the Dead Space franchise. Should be really interesting considering a HUGE strength of Wii is in regards to aiming and motion controls (I'd love to see some creative uses of Wii motion plus in the game).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 05:27:40 PM »
Honestly, I am too after playing Onslaught oddly enough. It feels very arcade like and struck me as an 'off-rails shooter'. It made me very excited at the possibilities Extraction has as a genre pushing rail-shooter.
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 06:08:50 PM »
Depends how big of a drop it is. From 360 to Wii is much bigger then PC to 360 (Not to mention the Half-Life 2 engine is quite old).

360 to Wii: 720p to 480p = 240p
PC to 360: 2048x1536 to 720p = like a kajillion pixels

360 to Wii = 512 RAM to 90mb something RAM = about 5 times the RAM
PC to 360 = 4gb to 512mb = about 8 times the RAM

IN YO FACE

On the subject, I would pay money to see James review the next mystery dungeon game. Maybe EA will port Mass Effect 2 and make it a mystery dungeon clone.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
Thanks for mentioning Boktai!!!!! I played that game for a whole Summer and I remember if I beat it, but once Jonny started asking about a specific game the first thing I thought of was Boktai. Those were good times, I wouldn't mind playing it again. Good show!
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 10:18:13 PM »
Aw crud, as Reviews Editor I'll be the one burdened with the task of delegating the next Mystery Dungeon game. Thanks for reminding me. :-\

If you read the first post I love mystery dungeon games, I know you guys on the podcast were joking about it but I'll be more than happy to review mystery dungeon games for NWR :P.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »
Godfather was created on the PS2 so getting it to Wii was not a big jump. Something like Dead Space would require some massive reworking and would most likely lose quite a bit that made the game good. Something like Force Unleashed was pretty much a physics demo so they could axe that.

While Godfather was created on the PS2, the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii versions pretty much look like the PS2 version (I played the Wii and PS3 version of the game and they look almost identical).
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »
I just updated my profile!

Just saying. :)
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »
After hearing about the Boo padding and control gripes (as well as the camera, graphical, and difficulty issues with the final boss), does anyone suppose that Luigi's Mansion was a rushed release? A lot of the other graphical effects are pretty nice in the game, but maybe the developers made those through playing with the GameCube's new technology long before they began focused game development. I remember hearing that Melee was pushed out the door to be within the launch window. So, was Nintendo not quite ready for their own console's release? (Is this already common knowledge on these boards?) If so, I guess it had to have been a timing thing; Nintendo must have considered their competition (PS2 becoming a juggernaut) and figured they couldn't wait beyond that holiday season to release whatever they had.

I don't think I've given any praise for this podcast yet since joining the forums, but it's fantastic. I've enjoyed listening to it over the years and noticing its slow evolution into what it is now. It's one of the main reasons I've kept up with the site and eventually joined the forums. No wonder the site's focus is shifting toward podcasts and blogs (though I guess the Intertubes in general are doing this nowadays). Keep up the good work! (And thanks for including one of my posts in the podcast.)
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 01:43:21 AM »
Most if not all launch-day releases are rushed. I agree LM was probably rushed; I think in Melee's case, it was simply kicked out the door out of necessity. The Melee team could have tweaked and added new characters forever.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »
FYI, I love mystery dungeon games if you want to hire me for mystery dungeon games DO IT!

I must ask--was this a factor in the hiring of FOC?  :)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 03:31:10 PM »
FYI, I love mystery dungeon games if you want to hire me for mystery dungeon games DO IT!

LOL, good point, I didn't think about that. Quick, what other games are universally hated by the staff that I could use to get on staff!  ;)
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 03:34:51 PM »
I think Nintendo is generally the opposite of rushing launch games. Hell, Nintendo pushed back the release date of the N64  several months just because Miyamoto wanted to continue working on Super Mario 64. Eventually Yamauchi told him the game was good enough (yet even with the extra few months the N64 only had 3 launch games in Japan and 2 in North America).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 02:26:07 AM »

I wasn't involved, but I'm pretty sure it was not.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!