Author Topic: Could this be a future Castlevania game for Wii?  (Read 6065 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Could this be a future Castlevania game for Wii?
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:31:53 PM »
Well with all the talk about lightgun games these days, here's something for you all to think about.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45716.html

This is a trailer to a recent Castlevania Arcade game in Japan.  Even though it's only in the arcades right now, how much do you want to bet it'll be ported to the Wii sometime in the future.

So, announcement at E3 or are we going to have to wait until the October conference?  Or maybe sometime in between?
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Could this be a future Castlevania game for Wii?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:39:20 PM »
WAAAH THIS WILL BE FAILURE CASTLEVANIA JUDGMENT WAS THE SUCK F*CK YOU KONAMI! AND EA WHILE I AM AT IT!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 06:58:05 PM »
Great Zephos' gaping arse, has the world gone on-rails crazy?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:04:07 PM »
I think pap64 illustrated my feelings on the matter in a fairly accurate manner..

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:12:49 PM »
It at least makes more sense than Castlevania Judgment... and maybe Dracula won't be so groin grabbingly difficult to beat in this game.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:05:34 PM »
So where's the Metroid on-rails bug scanning adventure?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 08:33:47 PM »
If IGA is part of the game staff for this game, he loses all my respect, which was hardly a lot to begin with.

Metroidvania has something to do with it he won't change things up...much.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 09:49:58 PM »
I think pap64 illustrated my feelings on the matter in a fairly accurate manner..

Because you and I can predict the future with our angst!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:56:04 PM »
I want it. Looks fresher then what the CV series has been lately
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 11:14:40 PM »
I actually DO hope this gets ported to the Wii. I just hope it supports co-op... on-rail games with co-op are almost instabuy territory for me.

Man I'd totally buy that. I loved scanning things...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:21:21 PM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 11:41:59 PM »
The entire time  I was watching the trailer I was expecting Gandalf the White to come out on an equally white horse.

Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 12:51:52 AM »
looks interesting to me
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 01:59:14 AM »
Could its destiny as a Wii game be more obvious?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:15:37 AM »
If this or another on-rails type game set in the Castlevania are the next announced games I will be overcome with the sighs of mediocrity.

I enjoy a good on-rails shooter, especially with co-op or deal wielding, but one is enough for me. I feel just like I did back when the FPS and RTS gluts of the late '90's and early '00's: underwhelmed and bored. Too many 'me too' games.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 02:59:25 AM »
Someone open the case and check if it's a Wii arcade board.

The visible pointer definitely makes it look Wii-ish, shouldn't arcade games have light swords like DQ swords or something?

Other than that the graphics looked pretty good but then again the Wii isn't exactly weak.

Offline SirSniffy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 11:55:09 AM »
Uh...Castlevania as a First Person Shooter Whipper...no thanks! Why don't Konami just make a 2D Castlevania with Guilty Gear style graphics..big characters with fluid animation? It's not that hard. Vanillaware does this great with Oboro Muramasa and Odin Sphere...I know Konami can make a sidescroller like that.
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »
Why don't Konami just make a 2D Castlevania with Guilty Gear style graphics..big characters with fluid animation? It's not that hard. Vanillaware does this great with Oboro Muramasa and Odin Sphere...I know Konami can make a sidescroller like that.

It's because Konami isn't run by bright people.  They greenlight a Castlevania fighting game that includes the cast of Death Note, and they're allowing IGA to make an expensive 3d Castlevania for the 360/PS3, even though the last 3d Castelvania for the PS2/Xbox bombed and the one before that wasn't exactly a huge hit either.

So in other words, Konami has no problem allowing IGA to waste money on Castlevania's if they're in 3d but he can't make a new 2d game on a home console even though it'd cost less and probably sell more then the 3d ones.

Yeah, not exactly a smart company here.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 02:02:11 PM »
give us some Castlevania wiiware!
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »

Metroid Snap?
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 05:33:08 PM »
Why don't Konami just make a 2D Castlevania with Guilty Gear style graphics..big characters with fluid animation? It's not that hard. Vanillaware does this great with Oboro Muramasa and Odin Sphere...I know Konami can make a sidescroller like that.

It's because Konami isn't run by bright people.  They greenlight a Castlevania fighting game that includes the cast of Death Note, and they're allowing IGA to make an expensive 3d Castlevania for the 360/PS3, even though the last 3d Castelvania for the PS2/Xbox bombed and the one before that wasn't exactly a huge hit either.

So in other words, Konami has no problem allowing IGA to waste money on Castlevania's if they're in 3d but he can't make a new 2d game on a home console even though it'd cost less and probably sell more then the 3d ones.

So Hideo Kojima and Konami must be great family then.

Just like Sega of Japan and Sonic Team.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 08:16:17 PM »
So... it's a ripoff of Dragon Quest Swords?
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »

Or maybe Konami knows that 2d games go on the DS with its GIGANTIC userbase and 3d games are just more or less experiments that may get lucky and strike it big but most likely won't and get budgeted appropriately? AFAIK at least Cv Judgement was made on a tiny budget.

Really, what's the advantage of making a 2d Cv for a home console?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 11:13:42 AM »
Really, what's the advantage of making a 2d Cv for a home console?
A better quality game that appeals directly to fans who have a "If you make a 2D game like Symphony of the Night, I WILL buy this game" mentality. That's really the best advantage. Sure, the same basic game can probably be made for a portable, but a console game sure as hell will sell better than a fighting game spinoff, even if said spinoff wasn't absolutely terrible. And isn't that the whole point?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 01:25:25 PM »
Well, they only have so many teams that are capable of making a good 2D Cv (I'd guess ONE) so throwing one on the home consoles means one less for the handhelds. While there sure are some fans looking for one on the home consoles I wouldn't be surprised if there were more fans on the handhelds. A home console game would be way more expensive unless they keep the full 2D look instead of making stuff 3D models and such. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the market would NOT be happy with a sprite-based 2D game on the home consoles (never mind the HD requirements on two of them). The Wii would be troubled as well, motion controls just don't seem right when you're looking in a different direction than your character so it'd either get gimmicks or feel out of place on the system. Really, 2D Cv belongs on the DS.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 03:28:08 PM »
You're comparing the market as a whole to the Castlevania fanbase. The vast majority of sales come from fans of the series itself. That's not really the problem here. Konami's half-assed attempts to appeal outside of the Castlevania fanbase haven't changed the fact that they're preaching to the choir. Castlevania games sell to Castlevania fans first and foremost. Konami is guaranteed that many sales so long as they appeal, and in some cases, adhere, to that audience. They can try to create this or that spinoff but that inevitably splits the audience and if it sucks, it splits the audience even more.
Well, they only have so many teams that are capable of making a good 2D Cv (I'd guess ONE) so throwing one on the home consoles means one less for the handhelds.
There are 3 handheld Castlevania games on DS vs none on consoles. And it's ridiculous to think that only one team can make a good 2D Castlevania game. Replace "2D Castlevania" with another series and try to make the same argument. Circle of the Moon was made by a completely different team than the one that made Symphony of the Night. While that team no longer exists, it's proof enough that there are teams capable of making good 2D Castlevania games, so long as they give a damn about quality.

And "way more expensive?" Please. Consider a game like Odin Sphere was made by less than 15 people. 2D games don't need nearly as many people or budgets to develop.

Also, I don't think motion controls are an issue here. First, it depends on how they're used. They worked fine in Shake It. Second, who said they even need to use motion controls? There's the classic controller and the GCN controller. And before you point out that extra accessories are needed, consider that if the game calls for it and if the audience is passionate enough about the product, a $20 ($10-15 used) classic controller isn't too much to ask, especially since it can be used for other games. Think of how many people paid $250 specifically for Wii Sports. While asking consumers to pay for something extra is fairly risky, people will spend the money if they deem it money well spent.