Author Topic: Hudson Announces Onslaught a 4 person coop FPS for Wiiware  (Read 21103 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Hudson Announces Onslaught a 4 person coop FPS for Wiiware
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2009, 02:05:23 AM »
There are plenty impressions, just read through the comments of the Onslaught review or even EU release article on WWW if the actual review isn't enough. You can even find user reviews on metacritic.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2009, 02:17:17 AM »
I'm pretty tempted to start the game on Hard. haha The easy level was real hard.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2009, 02:31:00 AM »
Careful, the early levels are easy on any difficulty. The game doesn't really show its teeth until after the first boss fight.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2009, 02:31:38 AM »
Sorry, I meant I am waiting for more coop impressions. Or more people on NWR to play coop with.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2009, 02:38:24 AM »
Sorry, I meant I am waiting for more coop impressions. Or more people on NWR to play coop with.

I'm trying to play co-op right now. Everyone seems to be asleep as I only got one person to join. Then again I am being a bit impatient. I know Flames of Chaos posted his FC. We're the only ones to post out codes on NWR.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2009, 04:13:18 AM »
Hey, I did too.

Just played three rounds of coop, one was laggy (well, slowed down) but afterwards one player dropped and the following ones weren't laggy so I suppose that was the fault of that player. I wonder what equipment the other guys were carrying, my lv3 SMG (better than any "archievement unlocked" for beating the hard difficulty) certainly served me well. It didn't look like the other players knew where to shoot a beetle (I call 'em elephants) when attacking from the front (hint: between the legs).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2009, 05:11:10 AM »
Whats your name on there? Did I play a match with you? I have the same name on there. I actually tried to join up with you but you were always in another game when I checked.

I try to shoot rockets through the legs and right below the 'elephants' and hope to get splash damage on them.

Now we have 4 codes. I'm hoping for more in the future.
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2009, 06:16:51 AM »
I'm not sure if splash damage actually scores core hits, I just use the assault rifle or SMG (AR is better for that but I'll use the SMG if I have it in my hand at that point). If I'm too close to hit the underside I use the whip, gotta hit them before they stomp though.

I go by the name Dopefish.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2009, 09:31:22 AM »
I bought it and i'm fighting with the controls on only the second level.  It takes a little while to get used to.

I'll get my code up in a bit.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2009, 11:10:24 AM »
It does? The only difficulty I can think of is the dodging and maybe aiming grenades properly (they react to your pointer aim or maybe the screen, not the force applied to the nunchuk).

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »
The double touch to jump forward or in whatever direction, its very VERY sometimeish. Plus in that second level i saw a bug (and several others) magically shift up the terrain (hence getting behind me) coz the collision detection was a bit funny.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2009, 04:47:09 PM »
I'm not sure if splash damage actually scores core hits, I just use the assault rifle or SMG (AR is better for that but I'll use the SMG if I have it in my hand at that point). If I'm too close to hit the underside I use the whip, gotta hit them before they stomp though.

I go by the name Dopefish.

I did play you last night. You got twice as much as everyone else. Though If I hadn't died twice I would have come close to you. I got second. I have the same name in Onslaught.

Everyone don't forget to put up your FCs in the FC forum for this game. Only 3 people have put their code up there at the moment.
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2009, 04:56:37 AM »
There's a poll on the Hudson website about which features are the most important about an FPS. So far the two multiplayer options (PvP and coop) are roughly tied for the lead. I wonder if they'll take that as a lead to make a deathmatch FPS for WiiWare next?

Me, I voted Level Design, it's an often underrated part of game designing but it's the thing that makes the difference between a good concept and a good game.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2009, 05:38:11 AM »
I put level design down too, however there should be an vote option for controls.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2009, 05:54:57 AM »
I voted for PvP because that was the only thing I felt was missing from Onslaught. I would love to get a sequel with PvP and co-op online though. I won't be online at all tonight because I just drove from the Seattle area to Portland tonight. I don't feel like setting up my Wii 'till tomorrow.
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2009, 06:00:45 AM »
I don't think both deathmatch and coop can fit into one WiiWare game, they require completely different level designs and you have only limited space for levels.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2009, 06:09:49 AM »
I don't think both deathmatch and coop can fit into one WiiWare game, they require completely different level designs and you have only limited space for levels.

I disagree. Use the same maps except with ammo and health drops. Goldeneye and others did it.
Don't underestimate what can be done with a few line of code. Someone created Quake with only 40 lines of code once. It may not be the prettiest, but it can be done. There were multiplayer FPS' on the GBA.
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2009, 06:42:40 AM »
It's possible to play deathmatches on singleplayer maps that were designed non-linearly like in the early days of FPSes but dedicated DM maps are better.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2009, 06:45:53 AM »
It's possible to play deathmatches on singleplayer maps that were designed non-linearly like in the early days of FPSes but dedicated DM maps are better.

If they design the maps with both in mind then it could kill two birds with one stone.
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »
It'd still be limiting in a way, few of the SP maps in Quake and Doom were suitable for MP play. I think a dedicated arena FPS would be better especially since DM requires specific game design choices (like weapon balancing, powerup effects, etc).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »
I'm just not a heavy DM player so I don't notice things like level imbalance when I play them.
My Game Collection

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2009, 04:02:12 PM »
A DM map needs to have openness for big firefights without being so wide open that it becomes a sniperfest.  It needs to have relatively safe places to respawn but no easy campsites.  It has to have good spots for ambushes without having choke points.  It needs to have multiple routes throughout but still guide the players into meeting each other.  So on and so forth.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »
Interview with the developer

Apparently the choice for no deathmatch was because killing people is too violent, I'm not sure I buy their ethics reasoning, I find it more likely that they were watching their age ratings.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »
Interview with the developer

Apparently the choice for no deathmatch was because killing people is too violent, I'm not sure I buy their ethics reasoning, I find it more likely that they were watching their age ratings.

That's probably how they kept it at E10. Has anything with a Teen rating come out for WiiWare yet? I know there is a zombie-horror-on-an-airplane episodic game being worked on for WW. Do you think Nintendo gives a heap of grief to anyone who goes into the mature realm?
My Game Collection

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2009, 10:12:59 PM »
i got this too. the tower defense level is killing me, but the other two were fun. still working on some of the weapons.

like, is that thing a grenade? if so, what do I do with it?

and what is the whip for?