Author Topic: Hudson Announces Onslaught a 4 person coop FPS for Wiiware  (Read 21107 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Hudson Announces Onslaught a 4 person coop FPS for Wiiware
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2009, 03:36:18 PM »
They work fine except for the double tap dodge, doubletapping with an analog stick isn't easy though I've got a decent success rate by now. I don't think it's very necessary except maybe for speedruns (self-set speed goals, while some missions have short timers they're still much longer than the mission takes) since dodging forward is faster than just walking and dodges might help with avoiding the beam attacks of the second boss. Overall the game is pretty easy (okay, this is normal difficulty, the second of five) in missions that have you attacking since it's pretty hard to die even to large enemy forces so you get plenty of training, the defense missions are harder since you can lose by having your defended objective get destroyed.

The maps are often open or have at least multiple pathes so in coop you could have players split up, in defense missions having a few stay behind and defend while one goes ahead and eliminates the nests to reduce the attacker counts. Without communication that could get hard though. The one match of competitive monster killing I played seemed a bit MMOish, a large area with respawning bugs where you kill stuff for points, I didn't even encounter the other player much (though maybe there are more maps or it gets more interactive with 4 players that know where the valuable bugs spawn so people will fight for the same boss spawn). If you die you lose a ton of points and respawn.

Coop mode has all levels available whether you reached them or not but you can only choose from the weapons you unlocked. Each player picks a level and the game randomly decides which of them gets played. At the end players still get ranked according to their score but it doesn't get put into any permanent rankings.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2009, 08:53:07 AM »
It sounds like there's no WiiSpeak support in this game despite its online co-op. What say ye?
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2009, 10:02:48 AM »
I don't have a WiiSpeak and didn't find anyone to trade friend codes with yet but the manual makes no mention of it so I doubt there's an option for that.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2009, 05:37:57 PM »
It seems strange to create a co-op game with no local multiplayer and no communication for online play, although it can sometimes be interesting to try to coordinate with a person you can't even talk to. I like team games but I also like to be able to at least talk to my teammate(s).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2009, 12:30:15 AM »
Yeah, lack of split-screen is odd. They're working within size constraints but they have the full processing power of the Wii to work with, doing split-screen with those graphics shouldn't present any technical issues. Oh well, this is another 10 bucks I'm going to be spending the day the storage solution happens.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »
BTW, the credits list SHADE Inc as the developer, something that doesn't seem to be widely known (everybody lists Hudson as the dev but to see the credits you have to beat the game and it seems most people get stuck on level 8 ).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:10:13 PM by KDR_11k »

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2009, 02:21:22 PM »
KDR, did you ever meet any enemies that shot at you?  The YouTube videos I watched just had a bunch of crawling and flying insects.  It looked like you could just stand still and shoot for a while, then move on... not terribly exciting.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2009, 02:43:51 PM »
This game actually looks really really fun. How much was it KDR?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »
1000 points.

Jonny: You can stand still but that means you better be one hot shot to kill everything before it reaches you. There are some enemies that do shoot (and need some very precise shooting or an attack from behind) but they're fairly rare, usually your bigger problem is preventing that mass of enemies from getting to you or the thing you want to defend. Most of the promo material seems to be from the earlier levels that are fairly easy to give you a chance to get acquainted with the weapons, how to hit the enemies, how to score well, etc. In the earlier levels you're pretty much dominating, able to take the bugs out in any way you please, as the game progresses you meet harder to kill bugs, much larger numbers, etc that will quickly flood everything around you and once they get close it gets frantic because their blood splatters (and sometimes acid vomit) all over your view when you hit them and you sometimes have to shoot blindly for a bit if you don't want to wipe constantly and shoot more instead. The whip helps a lot in close combat but it can only be used so often. It definitely feels like you're knee deep in alien guts.

Also the developer is SHADE Co. Ltd., not SHADE Inc (no idea if there's a difference). Either way that name cannot be googled.

Oh and I beat it on hard, got the Expert difficulty and lv3 SMG for my troubles (beating on normal didn't unlock anything...), now I'm tempted to play some coop to show off with my new gun.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2009, 04:27:10 PM »
It definitely feels like you're knee deep in alien guts.

That's what makes it sound great. It sounds like Starship Troopers.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »
It definitely feels like you're knee deep in alien guts.

That's what makes it sound great. It sounds like Starship Troopers.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking as I read through the imps. Oh god I want it.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2009, 01:55:09 PM »
You know, when I think about it it seems that Onslaught is actually a new generation game (or whatever Malstrom calls the casual/new market now). It throws you right into the action, you get some minutes of high-intensity combat and when it's done you can do something else or keep playing, depending on how much time you want to spend. It doesn't open with much introduction, it doesn't have a tutorial (just an easy first mission that you can still score on with helper texts popping up the first time you encounter something but no level design that's specifically made to make you encounter everything, it's a fairly natural system), it lets you pick any mission you reached already if you want to play something you liked again, it's score driven, the difficulty goes fairly high pretty fast, etc. There's really no major timewasters like long cutscenes (there are occassionally a few screens of text but you can skip through them) or levels specifically designed to show you the features of the engine or anything, just combat.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
I don't think I'd call it new-generation. The game actually sounds like an arcade-structured FPS, stripped of all its extraneous bits and just offered for pure straightforward fun. The tenets you described sound like old school arcade games, or the WiiWare rereleases that Hudson put out of pinball and vertical scrolling shooters.

I may be misunderstanding the definition, but I would think that new generation would actually be more like Nintendo's offerings of Wii Sports or Brain Age and the like. Certainly arcade-esque throwbacks are having a revival, but games have been score-driven, instantly accessible, and devoid of baubles before the Wii. New generation implies a shift in values not just away from the excesses of the past, but towards new qualities for the future.

Or that's my understanding anyway. I'm not as well versed in Malstrom as you are.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2009, 03:51:58 PM »
That IS new generation. Instead of playing epic blockbuster movies you play quick, hard and intense games. The whole essence is that the new generation is a return to the values gaming had back when it was still for everybody (minus the quarter munching). It's the antithesis to the desire to create more and more complex and meaningful games that then have to spend a lot of time on getting the player used to their complexity and setting and tell long stories which seriously hampers the ability to jump in and have fun immediately. The return to the old values may seem a strange choice to be considered new but the whole next generation epic-peen waggery has greatly diminished the ability of many games to simply be grabbed and played when you feel like it. Of course the Wii has quite a few games with the same transgressions (Super Paper Mario: an uncomplicated jump & run with mandatory story sequences interspersed that hurt the game badly...) but that's why they're core games.

Anyway, I just checked and Onslaught dethroned World of Goo as #1 on the popular games list!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »
I think it's more complicated than that. Yes these new qualities include a pick-up-and-play aspect where people can jump right in, but I think only birdmen think that this leads to merely stripped down experiences. New users want complexity, but they want it in other ways than its traditionally been explored. I think games that are truly new aren't just a return to the pacing of old games, but adding new values like off-screen gameplay, social aspects, warmth, and friendly interfaces. New generation games appeal to the customers who buy them not because they're simply enough for anyone to play, but because they're also fun enough for a larger number of people to want to play.

Basically, I think that new generation means more than merely pick-up-and-play.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
lol

This game has more enemies on-screen than Dead Rising Wii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ECNuXkyBUY
Skip to 4:40.

I'm glad to hear it's selling well. I predict it'll remain in the top 5 Wiiware sales for a long time.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2009, 06:39:16 PM »
This look very fun. I'm definitely getting this. 

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a mini-onslaught for the DSi?
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »
OMG, it's a first-person Alien Syndrome. Oh my god yes.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 05:45:06 PM »
I'm totally picking this up tonight.  I need something to keep me busy until Madworld comes out.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009, 06:08:59 PM »
I'm gonna be getting this alongside World of Goo. Looking forward to it...

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »
This game is really fun. I have the controls set to type A, which I think is the fastest, and it controls pretty well. Not as good as Metroid Prime 3, but still pretty good.

The online is lag free, and the difficulty scales to the number of players. One stage has you defend a base for 8 minutes, and you really have to fight tooth and nail. Don't let the first batch of screenshots fool you, there are plenty of enemies to fight.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
I like the game as well and I have it set to type A, I just wish you get to see a visual representation of the "bounding box" and allow you to customize it that way. While the game is quite generic it's pretty fun, cheesy and reminds me of old school arcadey FPS games which is a plus. The sensitivity could get a little tweaking but it's fine.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2009, 12:33:02 AM »
Based off of what I hear and the comments you guys have made, I think I'll give this a try tonight.

Anyone interested in some online play?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2009, 01:34:12 AM »