Author Topic: DS Player for Wii.. would it make sense?  (Read 14919 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: DS Player for Wii.. would it make sense?
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 09:25:17 PM »
what would a wii dsi player look like?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »
Revisiting this topic now that the DSi is out, as much as I would like them to, I really don't think Nintendo would ever release something like this.  DS software sales is not enough for them.  They made the DSi because they want each individual member of the family to have their own DS.  Just one per household is not good enough.  So they obviously consider hardware sales to be very important.  So they probably think something like this would seriously affect that business model.  The whole family is less likely to each buy a DSi if they can all sit around the TV and play their DS games using their Wii.

Sucks but I think that's just the reality.

But then again won't you think Nintendo would find a way to make compelling software to try to push more hardware on the consumer if they released THIS hardware first?

Imagine they release something that isn't a touch tablet that lets you play your DS ames on tv, but a plug-in for the DS that does the same thing... but made specific games for it that, I don't want to say required... but had incentives to play using multiple devices? In other words games that required multiple DSi's (I want to be model specific in this case since this one pacs extra hardware features, like the camera) to play. You know if Nintendo could come up with a game that made sense, they'd do it and try to push for it if it could make kids beg their moms to buy a second DS for their brother/sister to play a game on their Wii.

What about using the Wii as a third screen? :o

Uhm, what?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 07:31:20 PM »
But then again won't you think Nintendo would find a way to make compelling software to try to push more hardware on the consumer if they released THIS hardware first?

Imagine they release something that isn't a touch tablet that lets you play your DS ames on tv, but a plug-in for the DS that does the same thing... but made specific games for it that, I don't want to say required... but had incentives to play using multiple devices? In other words games that required multiple DSi's (I want to be model specific in this case since this one pacs extra hardware features, like the camera) to play. You know if Nintendo could come up with a game that made sense, they'd do it and try to push for it if it could make kids beg their moms to buy a second DS for their brother/sister to play a game on their Wii.

I could totally see them doing this.  That's not a compliment though.  Way to think like an evil corporation there, Cure. ;)

I was thinking about how conventional the Game Boy Player was.  It was really just a very user friendly device.  It played all Game Boy games and even supported the link cable, which I didn't really expect since the Super Game Boy didn't.  It was like no tricks, here's a product that if you're interested will perfectly suit your needs.  I modded my Gamecube so I could import the thing earlier from Japan.  I wanted it THAT BAD and it was so perfect that I later could just buy a replacement disc to get it working in English.

Even then it seemed somewhat out-of-character for Nintendo.  Where's the catch?  Shouldn't this suck in some goofy way that keeps it from perfection?  The only true flaw is the Wii doesn't support it but I consider that a Wii goof.  So I really doubt that the Nintendo of today would release something like that.  If they did your idea, well, they would be dicks, but I would be happy with the product.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 07:43:18 PM »
The problem with the Game Boy Player was that Nintendo made so few of them, 6 months after it released I had a hard time even finding one (and ended up having to get a used one since I couldn't find any new ones).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 12:08:32 PM »
The problem with the Game Boy Player was that Nintendo made so few of them, 6 months after it released I had a hard time even finding one (and ended up having to get a used one since I couldn't find any new ones).

That reminds me, I MUST pick one up used.. and a handful of GB games...

I could totally see them doing this.  That's not a compliment though.  Way to think like an evil corporation there, Cure. ;)

I was thinking about how conventional the Game Boy Player was.  It was really just a very user friendly device.  It played all Game Boy games and even supported the link cable, which I didn't really expect since the Super Game Boy didn't.  It was like no tricks, here's a product that if you're interested will perfectly suit your needs.  I modded my Gamecube so I could import the thing earlier from Japan.  I wanted it THAT BAD and it was so perfect that I later could just buy a replacement disc to get it working in English.

Even then it seemed somewhat out-of-character for Nintendo.  Where's the catch?  Shouldn't this suck in some goofy way that keeps it from perfection?  The only true flaw is the Wii doesn't support it but I consider that a Wii goof.  So I really doubt that the Nintendo of today would release something like that.  If they did your idea, well, they would be dicks, but I would be happy with the product.

I don't care how dickish it is if they released it with a catch of sorts, I would buy the gimmicky game just to get a means to play my DS games on my tv.

On a side note, i'd give nintendo tons of money to download some old GB/GBC games from the virtual console dammit!

WHO'S WITH ME!
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 01:46:55 PM »
I want to play the Castlevania DS games on my TV.  That's why I bought the GB Player the first time.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 02:20:01 PM »

Even worse they didn't release it in Indigo in America!  I never bought one because I wanted it to match my GameCube.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 05:54:57 PM »
I'm in.

As Daisy*

You really shouldn't attract Pro's wrath by saying things like that.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 06:19:45 PM »
Revisiting this topic now that the DSi is out, as much as I would like them to, I really don't think Nintendo would ever release something like this.  DS software sales is not enough for them.  They made the DSi because they want each individual member of the family to have their own DS.  Just one per household is not good enough.  So they obviously consider hardware sales to be very important.  So they probably think something like this would seriously affect that business model.  The whole family is less likely to each buy a DSi if they can all sit around the TV and play their DS games using their Wii.

Sucks but I think that's just the reality.

What about using the Wii as a third screen? :o

Uhm, what?

Games that involve both the Wii and DS. Like a trauma center type game where you have a nurse on DS and your the doctor cut people open on the Wii.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 06:44:53 PM »
Games that involve both the Wii and DS. Like a trauma center type game where you have a nurse on DS and your the doctor cut people open on the Wii.

So connectivity mixed with waggle?  Don't stop there!  Surely we can incorporate R.O.B. or the Virtual Boy in there in some way.  And release all the games in e-Reader format. ;)

In all seriousness that Trauma Center idea is not bad and is a good example to demonstrate the idea.  If I could get a new Four Swords game AND a DS player all in one go I'd be pretty thrilled.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 11:54:31 AM »
DS games on wii..

please see...  Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 12:01:12 PM »

So connectivity mixed with waggle?  Don't stop there!  Surely we can incorporate R.O.B. or the Virtual Boy in there in some way.  And release all the games in e-Reader format. ;)

In all seriousness that Trauma Center idea is not bad and is a good example to demonstrate the idea.  If I could get a new Four Swords game AND a DS player all in one go I'd be pretty thrilled.

That makes sense, actually..