Author Topic: Of Nerds and Men: A Brief Affair  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Of Nerds and Men: A Brief Affair
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:27:30 PM »

We'll always have Tiny Wings.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/31254

I had an 80GB iPod Classic before it was considered “classic.” I won it raising money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation back in, like, 2007. It is large, heavy, and has a click wheel. Over the years, dust got under the screen and I was not confident enough to pry the cover open and clean it off. It seemed like I might irreparably break it. I had movies on there, a few photographs, lots of music, and I never even cracked 20 gigs. But as these products are wont to do, my iPod eventually started breaking down. It wouldn’t respond to the click wheel, would shut itself off for no reason OR would refuse to shut off, and most importantly, the battery life became absolutely terrible. At some point, I had enough. I started shopping around for my next iPod but was devastated to learn the iPod Classic didn’t come in anything cheaper than like $250. And modern iPod touches were similarly expensive. What to do? Well, as luck would have it, fellow staffer Grant Buell was selling off his iPod Touch in anticipation of getting an iPhone. I bought it for a song and quickly became addicted to it.

It has a Twitter app, you know, and boy do I love Twitter (@zmiller1902). I can check my email accounts without having to turn on my computer. I can buy songs right from the device by tapping an icon. I can download the latest Frozen North Dinnercast—or NWR Connectivity—and listen to it right away! Clearly, I can never go back. But you know what really blew my mind? Oh, I hear you all groaning: iOS games.

iOS games held no special appeal for me before I acquired my new device. They amounted to a bunch of podcast discussions I generally fast-forwarded through. “Oh great, people are still talking about Infinity Blade.” But I dipped my toes in that vast new oceanic frontier with a little game called Tiny Wings, and it was all over.

If you haven’t played it, Tiny Wings is an incredibly simple game where a small, flightless bird attempts to fly as far as he can before nightfall. Because of the bird’s tiny wings, he cannot actually fly, so he slides down slopes to gain momentum and ramps up the next hill. When you touch the screen, the bird tucks and drops down, gaining momentum. The series of slopes he navigates are increasingly close together, steep, or otherwise. You’re basically trying to take advantage of parabolas and a slingshot effect. There are goals to attain and achievements to unlock. There’s a leaderboard. The music is great, the art is charming, and each game lasts about three minutes.

Stunted, underdeveloped wings.

Tiny Wings is insanely addictive. To a point.

Eventually I hit a wall where I wasn’t hitting any goals or unlocking achievements, and I was getting about as far in three minutes as I was capable of getting. I pretty much stopped entirely. There was a big update recently that supposedly added content and new modes but I haven’t bothered checking it out.

During my addiction to Tiny Wings, I discovered a lot of free (or temporarily free) games and games that were on some kind of hyper-sale. I downloaded a ton: Jetpack Joyride, Where’s My Water, Dead Space iOS, MinoMonsters, Trees of Doom, Robot Unicorn Attack, Monsters Ate My Condo, etc. I discovered certain games were not compatible with my iPod Touch (it’s whatever version was the last to not have a camera—I know, it’s fossilized). I only played one other game as much—if not more—than Tiny Wings, and that’s Jetpack Joyride. This game had it all. Action, achievements, missions, power-ups, variety, a killer soundtrack, a prize roulette, a mechanical dragon, and other things that spoke directly to me. You can “prestige” in Jetpack Joyride, and I did so several times. Just when my interest was starting to trail off, they released a patch that added new items that completely changed up the gameplay, and I was right back on the wagon. This lasted for a few more weeks, but, like with Tiny Wings, I just kind of stopped.

Dead Space iOS is awesome, and if you have an iPad, you should buy it. If you have an iPod Touch or an iPhone, the screen is WAY too small to be practical, and I’m not sure how much I enjoy a touch-controlled Dead Space game. I would like EA to port this to the 3DS or Vita with traditional, Dead Space-like controls because it is, if nothing else, an incredibly impressive on a technological level. With headphones, it’s absolutely engrossing. But again, you need a bigger screen. Dead Space iOS also caused my iPod Touch’s battery to drain like water spraying from a hose.

In most other situations, you would be running AWAY from the trial of blood.

The battery issue is actually one of the major reasons I’ve just stopped playing games on my iPod Touch. Granted, it’s an old device, but I really don’t understand why the battery life is so downright horrifying on this thing when my DSi, which is like six years old, still has an AMAZING battery life. I played the **** out of that thing and there is seemingly no battery backlash. I can say the same for my GBA SP. Yeah, I clearly need to upgrade my device and get a more modern iPod Touch, but seriously, the battery life shouldn’t be this bad after like three years.

But the other problem with these iOS games is that they’re all basically WarioWario: Touched! games. You only have one control input: tap the screen. Okay, a few use the gyroscope, but they’re a small minority by comparison. Games that use a virtual D-pad and buttons can die in a fire. The most reliable way to control these games is to touch the screen, and there’s just not a lot you can do with that. You could never play something like Super Mario 3D Land on an iOS device, and that’s the kind of game I want. I used to carry my iPod Touch around with me and play Jetpack Joyride on elevators or in the bathroom, but now I just carry around my 3DS. It’s got like 60 games on it (not even kidding), the battery life is great by comparison, the games are more complicated, and I don’t have to deal with fingerprint smudges on the screen.

YES, I’m one of those guys who hate fingerprint smudges. I keep a microfiber cloth right next to all my handhelds and I judiciously wipe them every day. Do I have OCD? It’s possible. It’s also possible I just don’t like fingerprint smudges. The DSi was amazing for a lot of reasons, but the best to my mind was its matte finish.

Now, let’s pretend for a minute that some of these iOS games get ported to 3DS or even Vita. Would I re-buy Tiny Wings for a device with better battery life (and, frankly, a better screen)? I’d certainly consider it, but the vast majority of my iOS games will never be touched again. Now, I would spend money on that Dead Space iOS game with actual button controls, so I hope EA makes that happen someday. My brief stint with iOS games taught me to love my portable gaming devices more than I already did, so thanks for that, Apple.

DISCLAIMER: I can’t guarantee that, should I ever get an iPad specifically for reading paleontology PDFs (it’s the only way I’ll catch up), I won’t re-download some of these games to play them on a big screen in HD. But that’s a rant for another day.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Of Nerds and Men: A Brief Affair
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »
I've had a very similar experience with iOS games. The only one that lasted more than a few days of rapt attention was (and probably still is) Baseball Superstars. It's the only one that I've found to have any legitimate depth. And like you, the rest of them have made me long for my Nintendo handhelds. And buttons.

Offline pureval

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
Being very anti-Apple due to a horrendous customer service experience, I have not played many of these games. I did get addicted to the Facebook version of Jetpack Joyride though. I tend to drift in and out of it. I do wonder about the battery life on small mobile devices though. I am lucky to keep a working battery for a year in a cell phone. My first phone was an LG Voyager and after a year I finally bought an extended life battery for the thing so it would last the day. When I upgraded to my Droid 2 (R2D2 edition) the battery was great at first. A year later it could not last  hours. The cell phone guy gave me a new battery and is better, but if I play any games or check twitter for more than 10 minutes or so it dies. I wonder what Nintendo does that these other companies do not?

Offline lifetimeofnot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
man, I cant wait to play wariowario: touch lol.

on topic: great article. i find myself getting bored with android games super fast.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 02:34:59 PM »
In my opinion, Jetpack Joyride is very well-designed to be addictive, but it's not well-designed as a game, and I wouldn't say it's fun. You get hooked on the achievements because there's always several goalposts right in front of you and one of them always looks easily accessible, but in the end you're always just chasing a carrot and not really improving your skills or learning anything from the game (learning as in understanding the mechanics of it better and getting better at it that way, I'm not talking edutainment).

Jetpack Joyride and all of the games of its ilk on iOS (and they are many) are ****, and I have nothing good to say about them.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 12:42:29 AM »
I'd like to point out that in my experience iOS devices generally have great battery life, especially when they're running the version of iOS that they shipped with, but I installed iOS 5 on the iPod touch I sent you, and that update is notorious for killing the performance and battery life of the iPhone 3GS and the third gen iPod touch (which is what you have.) Mostly cause I think it does way more background processing than the 3rd gen hardware was initially designed for. Not making excuses, just trying to explain. Also, I have played loads of great games on iOS, and even if many of them are short experiences, I believe the bang/buck ratio is still often very high.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 03:40:18 AM »
I actually think I installed iOS 5, thinking it was, like, required. No worries, dude.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.