Author Topic: This Week in Nintendo Downloads  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
This Week in Nintendo Downloads
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:59:18 PM »
Game Freak's Pulseman graces the Virtual Console service alongside a Master System title, three new WiiWare games, and one title for DSiWare.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=19016

This week in Nintendo Downloads offers a healthy selection of titles for Wii and a single DSiWare title.    

Bit Boy!! from Bplus is this week's first WiiWare title. Players will take the role of Bit Boy Kubi in an adventure through the history of video games. Players will explore 4-bit dungeons, 8-bit caves, 16-bit strongholds, 32-bit labyrinths, 64-bit arenas, and 128-bit worlds in order to rescue Kubi's friends. Players can play alone or with a friend cooperatively. Bit Boy!! is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is available now through the Wii Shop Channel for 600 Wii Points ($6).    

Incoming! marks the second game of the week and has players controlling a group of tanks in an effort to destroy their opponents'. Coming from the developer of Pong Toss: Frat Party Games, the game features power-ups and more advanced arsenals to help build a tactical advantage over your enemy. Players can take on the main quest alone or play against a friend in the competitive mode. Incoming! is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is available now through the Wii Shop Channel for 500 Wii Points ($5).    

This week's final WiiWare offering, Ant Nation, comes from Konami. Players take control of a variety of tools in order to command an ant army. Through one hundred missions, players will use tough love to train their ants to be fighting machines. By zapping them with lasers, burning them with light via a magnifying glass, and sending lightning from the sky, players will prepare their colony for war with local insect bullies like spiders and ladybugs. Players will also have a bonus mode containing twenty missions to tackle once they have completed the main game mode. Ant Nation is rated E 10+ by the ESRB and is available now through the Wii Shop Channel for 700 Wii Points ($7).    

The biggest title of the week is the Virtual Console offering Pulseman for the Sega Genesis. The title was created by Game Freak, makers of the PokĂ©mon franchise, and the sleeper hit Drill Dozer. The title was released in Japan, but only made available in America via the Sega Channel. Players take control of Pulseman, who can harness electricity as a weapon due to being half C-Life and half human. When Doc Yoshimaya uploaded himself into his computer, he was merged with a C-Life artificial-intelligence creation that he fell in love with. The process twisted Yoshimaya's mind, turning him into the evil Doc Waruyama, and birthed Pulseman. Players will need to defeat Waruyama's Galaxy Gang across seven stages in order to bring peace back to the 21st Century. Pulseman is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is available now through the Wii Shop Channel for 900 Wii Points ($9).    

The final Virtual Console offering of the week was originally a Master System title known as Rambo: First Blood II in America. Presumably due to licensing, the European release known as Secret Command is now available to US players. The overhead action game allows for either single or co-op play. Secret Command is rated E10+ by the ESRB and is available now through the Wii Shop Channel for 600 Wii Points ($6).    

Brain Challenge is this week's only DSiWare title and final title of the week. Players will train their brains with logic, focus, memory, and visual challenges as well as challenge their multitasking and authority skills in the original Stress Mode. Players can also personalize their profile with pictures using the DSi camera. Brain Challenge is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is available now in the DSi Shop for 800 Nintendo DSi Points ($8).    

BIT BOY'S INCOMING SECRET PULSE COMMANDS POSE A BRAIN CHALLENGE FOR THE ANT NATION    

July 13, 2009    

This week Nintendo offers three new WiiWare™ games, including a trip through video game history, a strategic tank battle and a virtual twist on an ant farm. Download fans will also find two Virtual Console™ SEGA classics and a Nintendo DSiWare™ game designed to keep the brain sharp.    

WiiWare    

Bit Boy!!
 Publisher: Bplus
 Players: 1-2
 ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
 Price: 600 Wii Points
 Description: Get ready for the most spectacular journey through time in the history of video games!! Accompany Bit Boy Kubi through a crazy pixellated adventure and battle hordes of nasty monsters in 4-bit dungeons, 8-bit caves, 16-bit strongholds, 32-bit labyrinths, 64-bit arenas and 128-bit worlds!! Rescue Kubi's friends!! Set off in the ultimate pursuit of fruits and high scores!! Grab a friend for even more fun in Cooperative mode!! The Wii Remote is your joystick – let the arcade adventure begin!!    

Incoming!
 Publisher: JV Games Inc.
 ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence
 Price: 500 Wii Points
 Description: The goal of Incoming! is to defeat your opponents by destroying their tanks using the arsenal you have at your disposal. Advanced arsenals become available at different levels of the game. Incoming! is great fun for two people to play competitively. Can you defeat your opponent's tanks before they conquer yours? Collect power-ups to give your arsenal that tactical advantage. Your firing must be quick and your aim true to claim victory.    

Ant Nation
 Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment
 Players: 1
 ESRB Rating: E 10 + (Everyone 10 and Older) – Mild Violence
 Price: 700 Wii Points™
 Description: The beloved childhood pastime of lazy Sundays spent with a magnifying glass and an ant farm finally arrives in its most mischievous form via the WiiWare service. You must train your colony of Super Ants using a devilishly fun toolset. Zap, torch and manipulate your ants to make them numerous enough and tough enough to survive a variety of increasingly difficult challenges.
 - Zap your ants with lasers, fry them with your trusty magnifying glass, send down lightning and much more to build them to be the strongest Ants on the block.
 - Send your ants into war against local bullies like spiders and ladybugs. Is your colony ready for the fight?
 - 100 missions keep you busy facing a smorgasbord of fun and wacky tasks.
 - Bonus mode features 20 additional challenges that allow you to get crazy with all your favorite weapons of ant destruction.
 - Use your Wii Remote™ controller to drop a virtual hammer on your ants, use your Wii Remote like a metal detector to find in-game gold and much more.

Virtual Console    

Secret Command™
 Original platform: SEGA Master System
 Publisher: SEGA
 ESRB Rating: E 10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Mild Violence
 Price: 600 Wii Points
 Description: Play as a lone warrior, armed to the teeth, sent on a top-secret commando mission behind enemy lines to liberate your comrades at arms. Released on the SEGA Master System in Europe as Secret Command, players will battle frenzied attacks from enemy soldiers, rocket troops, tanks and other enemies doing everything they can to stop you from saving the hostages. Use your trusty machine gun and a compound bow, equipped with explosive-tipped arrows, to pave the way to victory. Let nothing stand in your path. Play it with a friend in two-player mode for double the fire power.    

Pulseman™
 Original platform: SEGA Genesis
 Publisher: GAME FREAK
 ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Animated Violence
 Price: 900 Wii Points
 Description: When noted 21st-century scientist Doc Yoshimaya fell in love with one of his C-Life artificial-intelligence creations, he uploaded himself into his computer, where her program core merged with his DNA, and half-human/half-C-Life Pulseman was born. Doc Yoshimaya's mind twisted as he emerged back into real life, and he became evil Doc Waruyama. Use Pulseman's ability to harness electricity as a weapon with his Volteccer attack as a means of rapid transport to fight Waruyama's Galaxy Gang across seven crazy stages. Find out why this SEGA Channel classic was widely regarded as one of the best-looking games for SEGA's MEGA DRIVE (Genesis) on release.    

Nintendo DSiWare    

Brain Challenge®
 Publisher: Gameloft
 ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence
 Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points™
 Description: Just like your body, your brain needs exercise to stay in shape. Brain Challenge is a simple, entertaining solution for stimulating your neurons that goes way beyond logic tests. Thanks to a complete range of 48 mini-games, Brain Challenge provides an exceptional variety of exercises. Not only can you train your brain for Math but also for four other categories: Logic, Focus, Memory and Visual. Plus an original Stress Mode, featuring multitasking and authority challenges, Plus, you can now personalize your profile and some exercises with your own photos.    

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop™ and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.    

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or  NintendoDSi.com.

Check out PixlBit!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: This Week in Nintendo Downloads
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »
All I have to say is:

PULSEMAN **** YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Check out PixlBit!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
I'm very happy with 3 wiiware a week. now 2 virtual console.

and some of them sound actually decent.

I feel spoiled now.  ;D

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 12:50:50 PM »
If you don't download Pulseman, then that means you hate fun. Seriously it's that awesome. Even though all the text is in Japanese there are English voice overs.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »
If you don't download Pulseman, then that means you hate fun. Seriously it's that awesome. Even though all the text is in Japanese there are English voice overs.

So is pulseman a megaman meets sonic game ? I saw a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XtzoNv2Jzw

and that's what I gathered. Or is more than that ? It looks fun but I want to know what to expect

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 03:19:20 PM »
If anyone cares, Bit Boy is ****. The other two haven't been reviewed yet.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »
If anyone cares, Bit Boy is ****. The other two haven't been reviewed yet.

Considering it's by the guys who made Niki Rock N Ball and Plattchen I'm not surprised.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:26:44 PM »
This is off topic but:
Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

WTF!!! are you serious!? Why would Nintendo do that?
I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation, so could someone please explain it to me since I'm not getting it at this moment.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »
This is off topic but:
Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation, so could someone please explain it to me since I'm not getting it at this moment.

It takes to much effort to Link consoles you own.
you would have to registrar BOTH Wii and DSi on Club Nintendo and they need a way to split up the money.
That's to much effort for Nintendo.

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »
So um... where's Monkey Island?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 09:56:21 PM »
This is off topic but:

It takes to much effort to Link consoles you own.
you would have to registrar BOTH Wii and DSi on Club Nintendo and they need a way to split up the money.
That's to much effort for Nintendo.

Biut... but...but if I HAVE both of them registered would it really be that hard to convert my account to Nintendo dollars for ease of use on both?

Nintendo always finds a way to make you scratch your head and say "WTF!?"

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 10:15:22 PM »
I also ask where is the Monkey Island?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 10:16:38 PM »
This is off topic but:

Welcome to a year ago, when this piece of information was actually shocking :p .

But in all seriousness, I think Nintendo does this because the system doesn't allow players to transfer points between shops. Consider this a mistake since its very likely they didn't expect to make a DS that allows games to be downloaded directly into it. The only solution I can think of is if you had a Nintendo Account similar to Xbox Live where you assign points directly to your account instead of saving them to the Wii/DS Shop. Whether you logged in to the DSi or the Wii Shop as long as your account as active the points worked anywhere.

At least that's how I see it...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 12:57:32 AM »
Yep. They're probably afraid of getting deluged with phone calls from soccer moms wondering why they can't download Wiiware games to their DSi
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 01:01:45 AM »
Welcome to a year ago, when this piece of information was actually shocking :p .

But I was in Fantasy Election mode from during July of last year.... :( no time for videogames back then.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 04:42:20 AM »

Nintendo uses systems instead of separate accounts to track your actions, saves you the hour it takes to get an account on something like XBL (seriously, it took me over an hour between all the different prompts and contracts it throws at you).

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 03:25:29 PM »
All I have to say is:

PULSEMAN **** YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'd like to see a Pluseman review, if at all possible.  Is it really that fantastic, or is it just so appreciated because it was so hard to play back in the day?

As someone who didn't own a Genesis back in the day, is this game better than a highly-acclaimed retail game such as Gunstar Heroes or Streets of Rage?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 03:33:07 PM »
I'm just super excited because I've never had the opportunity to play/own it. With its appearance on the VC I can finally see what he fuss is all about.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 03:34:15 PM »
I'd like a review, please.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 03:53:55 PM »
With Nintendo points, the easy solution would be to extend the gift service so you could gift a DSi from a Wii or gift a Wii from a DSi.  It would be an easy solution, and while not perfect, would be much better than what's there now.

I'd like a Pulseman review, too, please.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »
Noted. We will be putting together a VC Rec article soon, so keep an eye out for it.
Check out PixlBit!