Author Topic: 3DS Price Drop and Release Dates for 3DS Mario Titles Revealed  (Read 20759 times)

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer

Nintendo drops 3DS price around the world and announces release dates for Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27284

The Nintendo 3DS retail price will decrease in several regions.

In Japan, the price will drop by 10,000 yen. This brings the price of the handheld from 25,000 yen to 15,000 yen effective August 11.

In North America, the 3DS will be priced at $169.99, effective on August 12, 2011.

The European retail price is set by the individual retailers, but the trade price has been dropped by around a third.

Australia will also see a price drop on August 12. Originally, the handheld was priced at $349.95. It will now be priced at $249.95.

Nintendo's financial report states that the price cuts are due to lower sales than were expected at this point for the console, and the markdown is to accelerate market penetration before the holiday season at the end of the year when more 3DS games will be available.

Only 830,000 3DS units have been sold in North America thus far, and the company lost around $485 million in the previous financial quarter (April - June).

Nintendo also went on to announce that the upcoming Super Mario 3D Land (formerly referred to as Super Mario) will be released this November with Mario Kart 7 (formerly Mario Kart) following closely behind in December. Kid Icarus: Uprising has been given a Holiday release date.

Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline Tansunn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Price Drop and Release Dates for 3DS Mario Titles Revealed
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:51:23 AM »
There's one part that has me curious...

"These games...are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost."

I wonder what they mean by updated versions.  I can easily see them releasing the games early with missing VC functionality (such as save states, etc.) that would be incorporated when the full version goes retail.  They don't mention updates anywhere else, though, so it's hard to say what they'll do.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:53:53 AM »
Nintendocurrently hasno plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

Nintendo and their "No plans!"  Aargh.  I'm sure everyone has seen this language recently, right?
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:55:43 AM »
Honestly, it would be nice if they stick to that. It would be a treat for those actually loyal enough to pick up a 3DS early one rather than wait for a price drop.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 05:06:54 AM »
Honestly, it would be nice if they stick to that. It would be a treat for those actually loyal enough to pick up a 3DS early one rather than wait for a price drop.

As someone who bought a 3DS at launch and 3 games, believe me when I say, my sentiments exactly.

Well, at least they'll have a lot to talk about on RFN and the Newscast this week.  And I mean a lot. 

According to my Itunes, the longest RFN in 2011 was Ep 247, clocking in at 2:34.  I'll bet you this week's is longer.

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 05:10:05 AM »
Ho crap, this is a surprise and a nice one at that.

I guessed that there wouldn't be a 3DS price cut until after its first (holiday) round with the Playstation Vita. However, the first fiscal year quarter of the 3DS must have motivated Nintendo to take drastic pricing action now. Given how mobile/smart phone is growing, Nintendo can't afford to wait.

It's good to see that they aren't (entirely?) screwing over early adopters by offering the Ambassador program.

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 05:27:32 AM »
However, the first fiscal year quarter of the 3DS must have motivated Nintendo to take drastic pricing action now.

You know, I hopped on over to Nintendo's website and found this, a message to Nintendo's loyal customers:

"But what about the 830,000 of you who already own a Nintendo 3DS? You're some of Nintendo's most loyal customers, and we're rewarding you for getting in on the action early with not one, not 10, but 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop!"

Now, I'm in the U.S., so this is really NOA's website.  They only sold 830,000 3DS's in North America?  Not even a million?  Damn.  That is not good.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 06:54:42 AM »
Woohoo for waiting!  :cool;

For the guys that didn't $5 x 20 = $100 worth of stuff, good deal!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 07:32:02 AM »
Wow, what a deal.  This is probably the single most aggressive marketing move that I can ever remember Nintendo making, but if they haven't even sold 1m 3DSes in the US yet, I suppose now is the time.

Although it would be nice if I had a little more choice in the reward I get for being an early adopter, I'm still really happy with this deal. I get free stuff, and on top of that, the 3DS should get the kickstart in sales that it needs for more games to be made for the system, which really is my longterm concern.

Kudos Nintendo, I didn't think you had it in you.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 08:11:19 AM »
I was definitely not expecting a price drop this year. Nintendo previously dropped the price of Gamecube $50 roughly 6 months after launch so this isn't unprecedented. It's super cool of Nintendo to give back to early adopters too. Nice to see Nintendo finally be more aggressive.

The price drop pretty much proves that 3DS was worth no where near $250 and Nintendo is likely still making a profit, just a more reasonable one. They were arrogant and consumers responded by ignoring a cool but way too pricey product. They lost sight of Yamauchi's "the console is just the box people buy to play Mario games." Nintendo is a software company and makes most of its profits from publishing games but they can't sell games if no one buys the hardware.

This is a good thing. I'm still going to pass though. A redesign is right around the corner and with the current price set at $170, a sub-$200 price of entry for the redesign is very possible.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 08:14:58 AM »

Nintendocurrently hasno plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

Nintendo and their "No plans!"  Aargh.  I'm sure everyone has seen this language recently, right?

I wonder if this will push anyone to purchase a 3DS prior to August 11?

I wasn't waiting for a price drop, necessarily, but I was saving money until I could actually afford the $250 price tag.  I think that making the games available for free to early adopters is great and all, but I'd frankly be a little annoyed if Mario vs. DK, Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion remained unavailable to the public ad infinitum. 

Many of those listed are fairly high-profile GBA games, though; I would be a little surprised if they wouldn't make those available to the general public at some point in the future.  If they don't, well,I guess I'll just have one more reason to keep my old DS around;  I'll just play the old GBA carts.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline UltraClayton

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 08:22:14 AM »
Holy price drop! I felt cheated at first, but then I read about the Ambassador thing, and now that seems pretty cool. I haven't played some of those GBA games, specifically Metroid and Mario Kart, and now I'll get them for free. Gutsy move by Nintendo, definitely caused by the Vita.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 08:36:09 AM »
Not sure this is going to push anyone to buy 3DS before the price drop. You're locked into buying those specific 20 games. I don't think there are 20 games I want on either NES or GBA that I don't already own, let alone some of the ones they're offering like Ice Climbers. [Edit: I read a more detailed article]

On a side note, it'd be super nice of Nintendo to follow Sony's lead and allow certain games to be played on both 3DS and Wii U. Don't think they're that generous, but they should and this deal for early adopters is very anti-Nintendo.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:56:03 AM by Adrock »

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 08:44:22 AM »
This is a pleasant surprise. Seeing as how Nintendo posted such huge losses in Q2, it makes sense to lower the price of the 3DS so it's more affordable in the public's eye, and just in time for the holiday season as well. I bought my on launch day and I hope this price cut influences others to pick one up too. *coughLindycough*

Also, FREE downloadable titles like WarioWare Inc. and Mario vs. Donkey Kong? I have to admit, I spazzed out a bit there.  ;D
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 08:58:28 AM »
I bet the used market for 3DS systems will skyrocket back up to near MSRP between now and 8/11. 
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 09:10:11 AM »
So Yoshi's Island GBA will be free - the additional content did make the GBA version a worthy addition despite some decrease in the graphics and sound of the original SNES game, but one would like to hope this means the SNES version will be released simultaneously on the Wii. As a purist and someone who sorely misses his old SNES, I'd be happy to get both versions.
Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »
I'm sorely tempted to pick up a 3DS on my next payday - the 3DS is temporarily down to $199 here until August 4 (my next payday) so it wouldn't be that much of a hit, and I get some sweet free games out of the deal.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »
Great news!  I would like other games, but something is better than nothing, and it's much more affordable now.  My first reaction was feeling like an idiot for being an early adopter, but I guess that's how it goes.

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 09:47:22 AM »
It's good that Nintendo is seeing the fact that 3DS is a slow starter and they needed to launch at $170, but they didn't and now they are doing a price cut before PS Vita comes out. Good thing I will be getting some free games since I paid $250 for mine.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 10:02:10 AM »
People are predicting that the 3DS will cost £130 here. I guarantee that it will be higher than that.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »
People are predicting that the 3DS will cost £130 here. I guarantee that it will be higher than that.
What is the current cost of a DSi XL?  That's what its dropping down to here price wise.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »
There's one part that has me curious...

"These games...are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost."

I wonder what they mean by updated versions.  I can easily see them releasing the games early with missing VC functionality (such as save states, etc.) that would be incorporated when the full version goes retail.  They don't mention updates anywhere else, though, so it's hard to say what they'll do.

Remember, these are NES Virtual Console titles... NES games aren't normally part of the 3DS VC lineup-- they're otherwise only available on 3DS as 3D Classics. The logical conclusion is that these are upcoming 3D Classics titles that aren't ready yet, and the updates will simply be the completed 3D Classics releases.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:23:00 AM by Bman87301 »

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 10:24:28 AM »
Sweet. Maybe now the "analysts" will have a chance to get off the 3DS-is-d00med bandwagon and STFU. Some people will wail about it, but I think most people are used to this type of news. I'm not fazed at all by it.

But I do hope they make the DS Lite dirt cheap now and don't EOL it. Been meaning to get a replacement Lite for a youngin' that a youngerin' tore in half.
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 10:24:43 AM »
A comment on Ars Technica brought up an interesting idea, buy 3DS next week at a retailer that honors price matching sales/price drops within 2 weeks of purchase and get 20 free games and the price drop. It's like getting a 3DS for less than $100.

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 10:32:56 AM »
Is it really called Mario Kart 7? or Mario Kart 3D?