Author Topic: Major Forum Reorganization - April 4, 2019  (Read 271197 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Major Forum Reorganization - April 4, 2019
« on: April 04, 2019, 01:57:08 PM »
After a lot of discussion and input from the forum regulars, we've instituted some significant changes to the forum layout.

• Console and Handheld Discussion have been merged into one board, since Nintendo seems to have merged the two themselves and there wasn't enough discussion to justify both even before that.

• Gameplay Strategy, Matchmaking & Smack Talk, and Hardware & Wi-Fi Support have been merged into the new Nintendo Gaming board as well, since they're almost never used. Feel free to post anything that would have gone into those old boards there.

• Reader Reviews is now a child board of Nintendo Gaming.

• General Chat now has a board specifically for movies and TV shows, so we don't have to cram everything into two or three mega threads anymore.

Any feedback on these changes or further suggestions is welcome.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Major Forum Reorganization - April 4, 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »
Thank you for all that worked on the forum changes.

I do like the changes with the child boards so there would be a more types of discussion in the parent boards.

Nothing is coming to mind for any more changes but if I think of something I will post here.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 03:11:23 PM »
I, for one, support an upgrade of the forum software. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 03:24:26 PM »
Agreed. Good job trimming some of the lean though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 03:24:31 PM »
I, for one, support an upgrade of the forum software. :D

I think we all would, but sadly that's probably a lot tougher to sell to the higher-ups. This stuff I could just do myself, but that would require more work from other people.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 03:42:46 PM »
Where does all my Patreon money go anyway? 🤣🤣🤣
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 03:49:56 PM »
Looks much better already!
I like how Reader Reviews are more spotlighted this way, should in theory lead to more eyeballs on this type of content people work very hard on (one day I'll read Evan_B's Xenoblade treatise).

Same goes for the movie/TV stuff. Those will probably be most useful to test the use of child boards, since they're high-traffic topics. If their engagement significantly drops over the coming weeks, then we'll know for sure if child boards get less visits. At the moment I mainly see potential for expansion towards several smaller topics, rather than keeping everything in a few giant threads.

I still think the Announcements and NWR Feedback forums could work as a single strand too, "Forum Rules, Announcements & Feedback" or something like that. But this'll do for now.
Is it possible to shift the order of boards around on the main forum page? I think it'd make more sense like this: Announcements - Gaming Section (2 boards) - Community Section (3 boards) - NWR Interactive (3 boards). The General Chat board is much more consistently active than NWR Interactive, and I imagine those topics mostly receive comments through the main site anyway? Just a thought, not sure if possible.

Every single board had new posts today!!! That hasn't happened since the Great Cattank Parade. Thanks a lot Insanolord and whoever's arm you twisted to make this happen, I think it'll lead to a greatly improved user experience.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 04:10:19 PM »
To add to one of the things Steefosaurus said maybe instead of having a set order like he described maybe it can be something where it is changeable in the lock and layout portion of folks profile and change it that was for each user. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 05:38:30 PM »
Change is scary! But nice job.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 06:04:03 PM »
Okay, so looking into the software upgrade thing it actually doesn't seem that complicated, so I'm going to do my best to get it done. There's a new major version of the software coming out soon (we're on 2.0.8, the current one is 2.0.15, and 2.1 is apparently getting really close), and once that's ready I hope to be able to get us upgraded to that one. Based on the description on the site, it sounds like it adds a lot.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »
Hurray for change!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 06:05:50 PM »
Okay, so looking into the software upgrade thing it actually doesn't seem that complicated, so I'm going to do my best to get it done. There's a new major version of the software coming out soon (we're on 2.0.8, the current one is 2.0.15, and 2.1 is apparently getting really close), and once that's ready I hope to be able to get us upgraded to that one. Based on the description on the site, it sounds like it adds a lot.

Yay!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »
You know one other thing I thought of just now is a section on the forum where we can enshrine certain historical forum topics that has been posted in over the years. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 07:09:36 PM »
It's beautiful!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 07:11:08 PM »
You know one other thing I thought of just now is a section on the forum where we can enshrine certain historical forum topics that has been posted in over the years. 

I beat you to that years ago:

Finally, there is one more forum that might be worth adding. Whether you'd want to add it to the Community Forum or create another subforum for it altogether is your call but it would be the very bottom and last forum. I'd call it something like NWR History or Previous NWR Content. This forum would be a static forum. No topics created or replies allowed. The point of it is to just toss threads / concepts no longer relevant on NWR but that the site may not want to lose the history on. For instance, the March Madness child board attached to Talkback could be tossed here. Remember Hot Topic? To my knowledge, all those threads were deleted when that forum eventually ended. If we had this Previous Content forum, the threads could have all just been tossed into here. If you don't want to toss the old Wii and DS Friend Code child boards into the Matchmaking forum, here's the place to toss them. This way, these old concepts or outdated applications can still be kept around without cluttering up and bogging down the other forums.

What did happen to the Wii/DS and March Madness subforums?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 07:13:42 PM »

I beat you to that years ago:

Finally, there is one more forum that might be worth adding. Whether you'd want to add it to the Community Forum or create another subforum for it altogether is your call but it would be the very bottom and last forum. I'd call it something like NWR History or Previous NWR Content. This forum would be a static forum. No topics created or replies allowed. The point of it is to just toss threads / concepts no longer relevant on NWR but that the site may not want to lose the history on. For instance, the March Madness child board attached to Talkback could be tossed here. Remember Hot Topic? To my knowledge, all those threads were deleted when that forum eventually ended. If we had this Previous Content forum, the threads could have all just been tossed into here. If you don't want to toss the old Wii and DS Friend Code child boards into the Matchmaking forum, here's the place to toss them. This way, these old concepts or outdated applications can still be kept around without cluttering up and bogging down the other forums.

I am glad you agree with me. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 07:14:19 PM »

They were deleted. The Wi-Fi Connection is shut down, so the friend codes were useless now, and I doubt anybody really cared about the March Madness stuff at this point.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 07:22:46 PM »
Nooooo!!!! The March Madness was still good to keep. Sure the Wi-Fi stuff could be turfed but I'd rather have kept the March Madness frankly in a NWR History subforum as suggested.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 07:26:44 PM »
The March Madness threads were mostly just voting. There was a little of people arguing their case, but there wasn't much there worth saving.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 09:12:26 PM »
Somebody change Insanolord's tag to "The forums Marie Kondo"

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 09:17:17 PM »
Looks much better already!
I like how Reader Reviews are more spotlighted this way, should in theory lead to more eyeballs on this type of content people work very hard on (one day I'll read Evan_B's Xenoblade treatise).

A-hem!

(I really need to get back to that Monster Hunter thing)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 11:52:51 PM »
But will a forum upgrade remove old posts?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 12:22:44 AM »
We'd be upgrading to a more current version of the same software, so it shouldn't affect the existing posts, just upgrade the interface and features.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 01:20:12 AM »
But will a forum upgrade remove old posts?

Only pokepal's.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 11:55:49 PM »
It would have been neat to keep the friend code threads around in some form for historical purposes but I'm not going to loose any sleep over them.